+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about crossing at border

faithey

Jan 12, 2012
Hello, my Haitian father in law has been in the US for the past month. He has not made an asylum claim. I understand he can come to the Canadian border and make a refugee claim without being turned back because he has a son and daughter in Canada (they are permanent residents). I will be driving to US next week to assist him through this process. I would like to drive straight to the border with him so he can make the claim. I've been warned by people I could be in trouble for helping him and I should put him in a taxi and send him to the border that way, or have him cross on foot. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello, my Haitian father in law has been in the US for the past month. He has not made an asylum claim. I understand he can come to the Canadian border and make a refugee claim without being turned back because he has a son and daughter in Canada (they are permanent residents). I will be driving to US next week to assist him through this process. I would like to drive straight to the border with him so he can make the claim. I've been warned by people I could be in trouble for helping him and I should put him in a taxi and send him to the border that way, or have him cross on foot. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!
Does he has any status in the US?

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The question to ask is whether he entered the US through a regular border crossing and was legally admitted to the US or whether he crossed at an irregular crossing (illegally).

Reactions: Simba112

faithey

Jan 12, 2012
The question to ask is whether he entered the US through a regular border crossing and was legally admitted to the US or whether he crossed at an irregular crossing (illegally).
He crossed at a regular border crossing at the Mexico US border. Will find out more details shortly...thank you.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
He crossed at a regular border crossing at the Mexico US border. Will find out more details shortly...thank you.
If he doesn't have any status in the US, and you decide to drive him to the Canadian Border, that may be considered as smuggling incase you are pulled over by the Border Patrol. On Refugee Application form, there's a question, did someone helped you to come to Canada (Page 11), he needs to answer yes, that brings details of the person ( that will be you)....In my opinion, dont do it.

faithey

Jan 12, 2012
Thank you @scylla for elaborating further
He crossed into US from Mexico at a legal crossing. I don't know what title his status is, but he is given a time frame to claim asylum....I believe within 2 years. He will be coming to the border in Niagara next week to make a refugee claim. I know of many people who have taken a taxi and crossed on foot and just want to know if he is in my car will either of us be in trouble.

faithey

Jan 12, 2012
If he doesn't have any status in the US, and you decide to drive him to the Canadian Border, that may be considered as smuggling incase you are pulled over by the Border Patrol. On Refugee Application form, there's a question, did someone helped you to come to Canada (Page 11), he needs to answer yes, that brings details of the person ( that will be you)....In my opinion, dont do it.
Thank you

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
He crossed into US from Mexico at a legal crossing. I don't know what title his status is, but he is given a time frame to claim asylum....I believe within 2 years. He will be coming to the border in Niagara next week to make a refugee claim. I know of many people who have taken a taxi and crossed on foot and just want to know if he is in my car will either of us be in trouble.
Within 1 year of arrival...

Reactions: faithey and scylla