+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question 9-development of relationship.any examples?

KarlR

Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Hey all,

We are close to finishing our application for common-law sponsership and I just wanted to ask for your help on one question and was wondering if anyone might want to share what they wrote as any examples?i really dont know how much detail they are looking for or how long they expect your awnser to be.

Question 9 on form IMM 5490, "Describe how your relationship developed after your first contact/meeting with your sponser and if you and your sponser dated or went on any outings or trips together.Provide photos and documentary evidence of events or activities in which you both participated.

I have left this question to last as I felt it seemed the most important,so I really want to get it right.
Im not really sure how much detail to go into?i mean I have been with my sponser for over two years,surely they cant expect us to put every outing we've ever gone on?im not really sure what they want...

does anyone out there maybe want to share what they wrote for this?as im sure i cant be the only person having trouble with this question,and it is the most intimidating!

Thanks for your help all.This is the last major part i have to finish with my application!im excited!
Than you all for your help!!

Karl & Caroline

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We provided a cover page that provided key dates in bullet points (e.g. where we met, when we started dated, when we became exclusive, when he met my family, when he moved in, etc.). We followed that up with 4-6 pages in essay style. We didn't go into detail everywhere, just here and there where we thought information was important to show that we have a genuine relationship. We described how we were introduced by friends and how our similar interests turned a long distance relationship into something long term. We described the proposal (my husband proposed with my mother's heirloom engagement ring). We talked about the big role my husband had developed in my nephew's life. We mentioned our one possible red flag (my husband is quite a bit older than I am) but then countered that by discussing all of the other ways in which we are compatible (education, careers, etc). We also briefly discussed our future plans. I believe this write up should feel personal - rather than clinical. Again, it's your opportunity to prove yet again that you have a real relationship. Think about the stories that make your relationship special and highlight those.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
We summarized all of our outings into one sentence. Our whole story was 3 sentences (it fit into the box provided easily). To supplement that, we submitted 60 photos (mostly wedding and reception, but a few from our outings, and one or two greeting cards shared between us. Here's our template:

1) We met here, but kept communicating via this or that . . .
2) He visited me here and there on this date and that, and did things such as . . . , and finally proposed there.
3) We got married at such and such with this family in attendance, and went for our honeymoon there.

(We did not submit any of our personal communication other than the greeting cards mentioned above.)

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
scylla said:
We provided a cover page that provided key dates in bullet points (e.g. where we met, when we started dated, when we became exclusive, when he met my family, when he moved in, etc.). We followed that up with 4-6 pages in essay style. We didn't go into detail everywhere, just here and there where we thought information was important to show that we have a genuine relationship. We described how we were introduced by friends and how our similar interests turned a long distance relationship into something long term. We described the proposal (my husband proposed with my mother's heirloom engagement ring). We talked about the big role my husband had developed in my nephew's life. We mentioned our one possible red flag (my husband is quite a bit older than I am) but then countered that by discussing all of the other ways in which we are compatible (education, careers, etc). We also briefly discussed our future plans. I believe this write up should feel personal - rather than clinical. Again, it's your opportunity to prove yet again that you have a real relationship. Think about the stories that make your relationship special and highlight those.
We did the same for our application, started off with maybe 20% of a page of where and exactly when we met. That was in 2007, then i just went to my photo collections on my computer, have every trip and event documented by date. While you might not have this as documented, but aftrer my 20% page intro i just had headlines, 2008, 2009....etc and a maybe 2-4 pictures per page followed by a short caption such as "Maui trip we did together" , "place my wife took me for my birthday" , "first kayak trip together" i think in total i had a summary of our lives together so far, maybe 20 pages in total. Just make it natural, I even included some super goofy images from Halloween celebrations etc, why not give the immigration officer a good laugh while you are at it i thought :)

print in color

good luck

Vietnam2013

Star Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Vietnam
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2013
Doc's Request.
Received interview letter October 8, 2014
Nomination.....
Ecas now reads application recieved October 14, 2014, from In Process
AOR Received.
August 15, 2013
File Transfer...
August 15, 2013
Med's Request
1st medical sent with sponsorship application
Med's Done....
2nd medical request July 15, 2014
Interview........
Interview date has not been given yet.
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014, return October 14, 2014
Karl & Caroline,

Our approach to all the questions was quite simple. We summarized our relationship into a few sentences, but backed it up with lots hard evidence. Try to gather as much hard evidence as you can. It strengthens your case more. As they say, “a picture is worth a thousand words.” 8) I am not sure writing a novel like submission will compel immigration Canada to believe you that your relationship is genuine without some substantial evidence to back that up.

We wrote with simple points. Where we meet, how we communicated, where we visited, married, and where we went on our honeymoon.
We had a few pictures of each event as improvise timeline. As for communication, we printed out all the phone calls that were ever made. Lucky for us, I keep all the receipt of all the things that we did without much thoughts that one day they would be so VALUABLE. This save us from a lot of writing and explaining. :D

HoneyEllis

Star Member
May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011
File Transfer...
10-08-2011
Med's Done....
08-04-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
I agree with the previous posters and add this too...

My husband and I only knew each other for 13 months before we married, so we didn't have years and years worth of evidence to submit, so we tried to make sure that the stuff we did submit really worked hard for us! For instance, our narrative talked about our first camping trip together and it included a picture of us, along with our friends who we were camping with. We then had the friend that was in picture write a letter in support of our application and in his letter he talked about seeing the relationship develop and spending time with us, like on the camping trip.

So when I say that we made our stuff work hard for us, here we had one little picture from a camping trip and we were able to use it in our narrative as well as have our friend use it in his letter of support. I guess we were trying to show consistency to the Immigration Officer reviewing the file, i.e. here's us talking about the trip and here's an independent witness confirming it!

Hope this is helpful !

Catou

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2013
LANDED..........
Very soon.
We had trouble with this question too. After being together 11 years, living together for ten of them, not only did we not have old records but we have far too many shared trips and experiences to document them all. Added to this, I hate having my photo taken and we don't have a lot of photos of the two of us together.

What really worked for us was getting a bunch of files, labeling them for each year we have been together, and looking at each year individually. We looked for evidence for each of these years, anything that could prove we were together in a committed relationship in that year. We went through looking for things like, "what proves we were living at the same address in this year?" "What trips did we do then that we have evidence of?" "What parties, functions, events did we attend with family or friends?" and dropped these into each related file. We focused on two aspects - showing us at the same address and showing involvement as a couple with friends and family. Doing this with the files made it easy to see the progression and continuity of the relationship.

What I learned from the exercise is that getting started is the hard part. Break it down into chunks and do one part at a time. Start with the evidence you want to submit for the start of your relationship then move forward through the months or years from there.