+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question 13: Which of the following US Visas are considered an Immigration Status?

SarahF

Oct 12, 2017
I've sent my application and I listed all the immigration visas (F1, H4, etc) I had in the US. Better safe than sorry.

Does anyone think this will affect my application? I have about 3.7 years in Canada out of the last 5 years.

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
As long that visa qualifies you for a US citizenship then what you currently have is a US immigration status.

homecanada

Star Member
Jun 1, 2013
The citizenship application is not asking about "immigrant visas" it is asking about "immigration status", which is quite different.

An "immigrant visa" issued by the United States does not provide one with "immigration status" in the United States; it only grants one the right to present oneself at a U.S. Port of Entry where one may apply for "immigration status" and entry into the United States, subject to the approval of a Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) agent. The CBP agent possesses the authority to grant or deny "immigration status". Only once the CBP agent approves, is the visa holder granted the "immigration status" of "LPR" (Legal Permanent Resident).

"Immigration status" is a legal term which refers to an alien's status in a country. The United States has many "immigration statuses", like "Legal Permanent Resident", "Non Citizen National", "Asylum Claimant", "TN Worker (NAFTA)", "Fiance(e) Visa Holder". These are all "immigration statuses" -- not to be confused with "immigrant visas."

"Immigrant visa" and "immigration status" are completely different terms in U.S. and Canadian law
@Natan, These are all non - immigrant visas and hence do not have to put in this. Immigrant visa is where you are granted Green Card. If you do not have immigrant visa, your status would be non immigrant
http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-typeall.asp
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/all-visa-categories.html

homecanada

Star Member
Jun 1, 2013
I've sent my application and I listed all the immigration visas (F1, H4, etc) I had in the US. Better safe than sorry.

Does anyone think this will affect my application? I have about 3.7 years in Canada out of the last 5 years.
Since you already sent the application, it does not matter however immigration status if you were in US as worker or student, the answer would be No.

Dec 14, 2014
Since you already sent the application, it does not matter however immigration status if you were in US as worker or student, the answer would be No.
Interesting. What about H1 in that case, which is dual intent visa ( for immigration purpose). specially if one has Green card application in process ( approved I140 and waiting for priority date to be current) ?

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
Interesting. What about H1 in that case, which is dual intent visa ( for immigration purpose). specially if one has Green card application in process ( approved I140 and waiting for priority date to be current) ?
The citizenship form ask of things that are current.
Do you currently possess a greencard?
No. Then H1 dual intent doesn’t matter.

AK84

Aug 11, 2011
Hi All,

do we need to put details in Question 14A. like study permit, temporary work permit as travel documents ? as i was come as student and then worker.

Please advise.