+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question 13: Which of the following US Visas are considered an Immigration Status?

SarahF

Oct 12, 2017
I am very confused on Q 13, and I am sure lots of people are in the same boat as I am, so this thread is to clarify the confusion.

Q 13 States: Have you ever had immigration or citizenship status in another country other than Canada?

Which of the following is considered an "immigration status"? All of them are non-immigrant visas.

F1 Visa (student): Looks like we have to list this
L1 (Inter company Transferee)
L2 (Child dependent on L1, but I didn't work)
H1B (Specialty worker)
H4 (Child dependent of H1B, didn't work)
B1/B2 (Visitor/Business Visa 10 Years)

I have a combination of most of the above because my parents worked in the US, but I don't know which visa to state in Q13.

justinline

May 19, 2009
Although they say immigration status in the question, the section below they are asking for every status from from student, worker, permanent residence to citizenship.

Just put down every thing just to be safe, although in case of US just having visa stamp doesnot automatically give you the status. What all stamps do you have in the passport and if you ever entry/exit from CBP what status will it show, put down all those status.

Also you are right in US context they are non immigrant status, but I guess Canada wants to know your past and present immigration history.

Last edited:

Hman1

Oct 14, 2017
What are the repercussions of missing out one of the records . Like in my case I forgot to mention a study permit. @spyfy could u plz provide ur opinion. If i am looking at are turned application or send documents along the way

Natan

May 22, 2015
I am very confused on Q 13, and I am sure lots of people are in the same boat as I am, so this thread is to clarify the confusion.

Q 13 States: Have you ever had immigration or citizenship status in another country other than Canada?

Which of the following is considered an "immigration status"? All of them are non-immigrant visas.

H1B (Specialty worker)

I have a combination of most of the above because my parents worked in the US, but I don't know which visa to state in Q13.
All of the visas listed above are grants of immigration status in the U.S.

research-scientist

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

H1B (Specialty worker)

All are non immigration visas.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I am listing my wife's TD Visa in the application since she had lived in US for 4 years before coming to Canada.

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
Not unless the Department of State issued you a greencard your not a permanent resident of America.

See, all your visas have expiration dates. Therefore they aren’t permanent status.

Last edited:

Natan

May 22, 2015
Not unless the Department of State issued you a greencard your not a permanent resident of America.

See, all your visas have expiration dates. Therefore they aren’t permanent status.
The application asks about "immigration status" -- it does not state that the status must be permanent or not expire.

I would certainly report any of the statuses listed at the beginning of this thread, as they are "immigration statuses", even if the "immigration status" is of a non-immigrant nature. A visitors visa or a 90 day business visa are not "immigration status" visas, but any visa that grants permission to live, work and/or study in the USA is a grant of "immigration status".

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
Those above are temporary visas and not imigration status. Though those in example can be followed by a green card, dual intent, but they are not in itself permanency of residence in The US.

Hence, the expiration date. If the holder of that particular visa does not abide by its stature upon its termination. Who wished to remain without any status and are still present, will be violating the laws and statutes. Like any sort of refugees. I think like you who stepped foot in The US illegally and sought asylum.

Natan

May 22, 2015
Those above are temporary visas and not imigration status. Though those in example can be followed by a green card, dual intent, but they are not in itself permanency of residence in The US.

Hence, the expiration date. If the holder of that particular visa does not abide by its stature upon its termination. Who wished to remain without any status and are still present, will be violating the laws and statutes. Like any sort of refugees. I think like you who stepped foot in The US illegally and sought asylum.
You are mixing up "immigration status" and "immigrant" -- they are not the same thing. For example, TRP (Temporary Resident Permit) is an "immigration status" in Canada, even though it is temporary. If one has been granted the right to live, work or study in a country, regardless of the duration of the visa, that is a grant of "immigration status", even when the grantee is not an "immigrant" to that country.

Reactions: Joshua1 and vasvas

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
All are non immigration visas.
Non immigraNT visas yes but the question asks for immigration status and they include examples such as student, worker which are generally temporary. Canada wants to know all statuses you held in other countries, that is all.
This was my interpretation and I filled the form based on that understanding

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
You are mixing up "immigration status" and "immigrant" -- they are not the same thing. For example, TRP (Temporary Resident Permit) is an "immigration status" in Canada, even though it is temporary. If one has been granted the right to live, work or study in a country, regardless of the duration of the visa, that is a grant of "immigration status", even when the grantee is not an "immigrant" to that country.

OP ought to write those in his application as stated by cit0002.
Legally, those visas are not immigrant visas in America. Try violating those statuses and see you don’t get deported. Which led you lot here because you cannot attain permanent residence there.

No argument here, I have no time for this nonsense. It’s not gonna earn me a penny arguing with you.

Last edited:

Natan

May 22, 2015
OP ought to write those in his application as stated by cit0002.
Legally, those visas are not immigrant visas in America...
The citizenship application is not asking about "immigrant visas" it is asking about "immigration status", which is quite different.

An "immigrant visa" issued by the United States does not provide one with "immigration status" in the United States; it only grants one the right to present oneself at a U.S. Port of Entry where one may apply for "immigration status" and entry into the United States, subject to the approval of a Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) agent. The CBP agent possesses the authority to grant or deny "immigration status". Only once the CBP agent approves, is the visa holder granted the "immigration status" of "LPR" (Legal Permanent Resident).

"Immigration status" is a legal term which refers to an alien's status in a country. The United States has many "immigration statuses", like "Legal Permanent Resident", "Non Citizen National", "Asylum Claimant", "TN Worker (NAFTA)", "Fiance(e) Visa Holder". These are all "immigration statuses" -- not to be confused with "immigrant visas."

"Immigrant visa" and "immigration status" are completely different terms in U.S. and Canadian law

Last edited: