+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QORAX , LEAVING CANADA AFTER LANDING.

Roger55

Oct 13, 2009
Qorax,

1) After landing and receiving PRC cards, can we leave Canada and come back and settle permanently at a later date ? Will this affect us in any negative way?

2) How much time is one allowed to be away from Canada without losing the permanent residency?

3) Can principal applicant leave a few days after landing and have spouse then stay and wait for all PRC?

Thanks Qorax

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
Roger55 said:
Qorax,

1) After landing and receiving PRC cards, can we leave Canada and come back and settle permanently at a later date ? Will this affect us in any negative way?

2) How much time is one allowed to be away from Canada without losing the permanent residency?

3) Can principal applicant leave a few days after landing and have spouse then stay and wait for all PRC?

Thanks Qorax

Hi,
Whilst you waiting for Qorax to confirm, here's my take:

1) Once landed you are permanent Canadian residents and will need to re-apply for residency in 5 years' time, if you have not become citizens by then. In order to qualify you need to have lived in Canada for a minimum of 2 out of those 5 years. So in theory you could leave Canada for 3 years, and come back for 2 years and not effect residency. It is very commonplace for applicants to complete their record of landing, then return to their home country for a while to sort out their affairs before returning permanently.

2) See above :)

3) Once you have landed there isn't really any such thing as principal applicant. You are both permanent Canadian residents fighting your own battles, so to speak. The principal applicant must "land" first, and can be accompanied by any of the other members of the application at the same time. However, other members of the family cannot land before the principal applicant. But after landing you are all just permanent residents.

Best of luck,
Wayne.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Cappuccino said:
Hi,
Whilst you waiting for Qorax to confirm, here's my take:

1) Once landed you are permanent Canadian residents and will need to re-apply for residency in 5 years' time, if you have not become citizens by then. In order to qualify you need to have lived in Canada for a minimum of 2 out of those 5 years. So in theory you could leave Canada for 3 years, and come back for 2 years and not effect residency. It is very commonplace for applicants to complete their record of landing, then return to their home country for a while to sort out their affairs before returning permanently.

2) See above :)

3) Once you have landed there isn't really any such thing as principal applicant. You are both permanent Canadian residents fighting your own battles, so to speak. The principal applicant must "land" first, and can be accompanied by any of the other members of the application at the same time. However, other members of the family cannot land before the principal applicant. But after landing you are all just permanent residents.

Best of luck,
Wayne.
Perfectly explained by Wayne... stands seconded.

Returning back w/out PR cards: I have my reservations against it... the PR cards r by far the most imp. doc in our Canadian foray - it's wise to hold-on to it before taking any escapade. Moreover, quite a few newcomers get stranded for want of fresh pics to process the PRCs [not that u cannot reEnter w/out it -- but it sure takes some addnl time & efforts, not to mention the costs of obtaining a PRTD]. And I also observe that most such 'stranded' cases r the ones who have left Canada (I might be over-reacting) - which suggests that it'd be wise to stay-put until u lay your hands on that imp. piece of plastic.

Qorax