+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pulling my hair out

Booth_9279

Jan 18, 2019
I promise you I’m not a dummy, but I just can’t seem to figure out the website for immigration and citizenship and if I’m eligible to apply or not?

I was born in the UK in 1974 to a Canadian Father (Quebec) who’d lived in the UK for a while, he passed away when I was 3 (1977) and I wondered if I was able to apply for citizenship on those grounds and move to Canada when I hopefully retire in the next ten years or so?

London is a long way from me and the passport office is only open for three hours a day too, or I’d have gone there.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Phoenixation

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
I promise you I’m not a dummy, but I just can’t seem to figure out the website for immigration and citizenship and if I’m eligible to apply or not?

I was born in the UK in 1974 to a Canadian Father (Quebec) who’d lived in the UK for a while, he passed away when I was 3 (1977) and I wondered if I was able to apply for citizenship on those grounds and move to Canada when I hopefully retire in the next ten years or so?

London is a long way from me and the passport office is only open for three hours a day too, or I’d have gone there.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Was your father born in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also you should realize that you won't qualify for things like CPP if you have never worked in Canada. Not sure what your reasons for retiring in Canada are but retiring with no family around can be difficult. Our health system is somewhat better off than the current state of the NHS but also doesn't cover as much.

Booth_9279

Jan 18, 2019
Also you should realize that you won't qualify for things like CPP if you have never worked in Canada. Not sure what your reasons for retiring in Canada are but retiring with no family around can be difficult. Our health system is somewhat better off than the current state of the NHS but also doesn't cover as much.
I hadn’t thought of that, but to be honest it’ll be something I’ll just get around if it comes to it. The plan is to have a fair amount of money behind me when I do retire, and to see a lot of Canada before I’m too old. My reasons are simple really. As time goes on I’m becoming increasingly fond of the UK, and Canada offers a much bigger place to explore and eventually get lost in, and by the time I retire the only living UK family I’ll have will be my Sister, and she’ll be living happily in the South UK.

I’m not currently married and I don’t have plans to be, no kids either (none that I’m aware of anyway) which will make travelling around easier. I’ve never been a burden on the UK and I’ve never been out of work and paid tax since I was 16.

My ‘dream’ as sad as it sounds is too retire as early as possible, see the country and meet any family I have before passing peacefully in a cabin next to a lake.

Booth_9279

Jan 18, 2019
Yes - based on the information you've provided, you have a claim to citizenship. You'll need to apply for proof of citizenship and provide certain documents relating to your father. You can find the process here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/documents.html
Thank you very much for your help. I have access to my Fathers death certificate but not his birth one, so I’ll start the ball rolling.

Thanks again.