Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
10 June 2015. DM next day
VISA ISSUED...
Issued
LANDED..........
Landed on Feb 2016
Hi Friends. Requesting your kind suggestions in my case. The family includes me, wife and a minor kid.
PR Card expires in 20 days. Residency Obligations not met.
Lived in Canada for 6 months as a landed migrant and left for family reasons.
5 years period is over, and the PR card has some 2 months extended validity which is expiring in 20 days.

My question is:
1. Is it prudent to enter with the still live card, and go through the process whether reported or not.
OR
2. Is it better to let the card expire, and then apply for PRTD so we go with a decision in hand, without ambiguities .

Thank you in advance for your kind suggestions!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Friends. Requesting your kind suggestions in my case. The family includes me, wife and a minor kid.
5 years period is over, and the PR card has some 2 months extended validity which is expiring in 20 days.

My question is:
1. Is it prudent to enter with the still live card, and go through the process whether reported or not.
OR
2. Is it better to let the card expire, and then apply for PRTD so we go with a decision in hand, without ambiguities .

Do you have strong H&C reasons for having failed to meet the residency requirement? The second option only makes sense to try if you have a strong H&C case for having remained outside of Canada.

Reactions: path009

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

My question is:
OR

Best to enter with the card still valid although doesn’t guarantee you won’t be reported. You would need to be prepared to move to Canada within 20 days and remain in Canada for 2+ years without leaving

path009

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Nomination.....
PER 04-11-2014
Med's Request
18 Mar 2015
Med's Done....
13 Apr 2015.... 3rd line 21 Apr 2015
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Issued
LANDED..........
Landed on Feb 2016
Best to enter with the card still valid although doesn’t guarantee you won’t be reported. You would need to be prepared to move to Canada within 20 days and remain in Canada for 2+ years without leaving
Thank you very much!
If reported at airport, do I have the chance to show my H&C evidences to the officer, who will make a decision right there, or do they simply let us in, and later initiate the reporting and revoking process.
Also, since prtd is issued post adjudication of H&C, we enter Canada with a clear right. So, in that sense, is it any way better.

path009

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Nomination.....
PER 04-11-2014
Med's Request
18 Mar 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Issued
LANDED..........
Landed on Feb 2016
Do you have strong H&C reasons for having failed to meet the residency requirement? The second option only makes sense to try if you have a strong H&C case for having remained outside of Canada.
Its the same reasons but quite intense and so we are stuck. I have three old people including a 90 plus, a bed-ridden 85 plus, and another 85 plus to take care. surgery, nursing, and such. Wife's parent was discovered the C disease, and they gave him 3 months time, which by multiple treatments and Grace extended till now for nearly 1 and half years. We booked ticket and tried to enter on a date which would have shortened our RO only by 2 months. But, LH cancelled flight due to covid, and then on lockdown, hospitals, and one leading to another couldn't re-book. The negative is I have an unmarried brother who is much naive and cannot handle so much alone. Wife has her brother who took turns in managing her father's case. But the officer might see it as a case where people are already there to take care of the old ones. But, in reality and we are bumped with all these, we are stoned in crisis management as we gradually evolve into putting systems in place. So, I guess these might be the challenges. However, I have loads of medical records to show every inch of the way.
Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Its the same reasons but quite intense and so we are stuck. I have three old people including a 90 plus, a bed-ridden 85 plus, and another 85 plus to take care. surgery, nursing, and such. Wife's parent was discovered the C disease, and they gave him 3 months time, which by multiple treatments and Grace extended till now for nearly 1 and half years. We booked ticket and tried to enter on a date which would have shortened our RO only by 2 months. But, LH cancelled flight due to covid, and then on lockdown, hospitals, and one leading to another couldn't re-book. The negative is I have an unmarried brother who is much naive and cannot handle so much alone. Wife has her brother who took turns in managing her father's case. But the officer might see it as a case where people are already there to take care of the old ones. But, in reality and we are bumped with all these, we are stoned in crisis management as we gradually evolve into putting systems in place. So, I guess these might be the challenges. However, I have loads of medical records to show every inch of the way.
Thank you.
It's hard to say if a PRTD will be approved in this case. Your case would be much stronger if you and your wife were both only children and there were no siblings who could take care of your parents. Having said that, you can certainly try.

path009

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Nomination.....
PER 04-11-2014
Med's Request
18 Mar 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Issued
LANDED..........
Landed on Feb 2016
It's hard to say if a PRTD will be approved in this case. Your case would be much stronger if you and your wife were both only children and there were no siblings who could take care of your parents. Having said that, you can certainly try.
Thank you for your kind opinion. It looks like immediate travel with the PR card is the best option. If reported at airport, do they evaluate H&C then and there and make decision in the airport itself so we should proceed to appeal within limitation period, or wondering how do they do it usually ?

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
Thank you for your kind opinion. It looks like immediate travel with the PR card is the best option. If reported at airport, do they evaluate H&C then and there and make decision in the airport itself so we should proceed to appeal within limitation period, or wondering how do they do it usually ?
Even if they do, they dont revoke the PR at airport. They might begin the process but you have 30 days to appeal. I would say hire a lawyer and go through the appeal (takes 1-2 years I think). Since your PR cards are valid, you will be allowed in the country till your appeal is pending.

You might also get lucky if you use self-checkout at airport and no one stops you. Then you are good, just live in Canada for 2 years straight.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should be aware that you are going to have a big problem leaving Canada for 2+ years if you manage not to get reported. You need to consider this when making your move as well.

path009

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Nomination.....
PER 04-11-2014
Med's Request
18 Mar 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Issued
LANDED..........
Landed on Feb 2016
Even if they do, they dont revoke the PR at airport. They might begin the process but you have 30 days to appeal. I would say hire a lawyer and go through the appeal (takes 1-2 years I think). Since your PR cards are valid, you will be allowed in the country till your appeal is pending.

You might also get lucky if you use self-checkout at airport and no one stops you. Then you are good, just live in Canada for 2 years straight.
Thank you. So far, this seems to be the best case scenario.

path009

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Nomination.....
PER 04-11-2014
Med's Request
18 Mar 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Issued
LANDED..........
Landed on Feb 2016
You should be aware that you are going to have a big problem leaving Canada for 2+ years if you manage not to get reported. You need to consider this when making your move as well.
Yes, this is the concern. Feels quite creepy. Don't want to live like that and that too with family. Also dunno how is life without a pr card for such an extended period. Just thinking if I volunteer myself to get reported so we can remove uncertainties. Or simply prepare H&C for prtd and put up an absolute truth case, and accept wtever result.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
If reported at airport, do they evaluate H&C then and there and make decision in the airport itself so we should proceed to appeal within limitation period, or wondering how do they do it usually ?
Yes, this is the concern. Feels quite creepy. Don't want to live like that and that too with family. Also dunno how is life without a pr card for such an extended period. Just thinking if I volunteer myself to get reported so we can remove uncertainties. Or simply prepare H&C for prtd and put up an absolute truth case, and accept wtever result.
I cannot offer much other than what has already been said about the prospect of H&C relief. By the way, there are many discussions in this forum in which you can see H&C cases discussed in some depth.

I can say that at this stage it is more or less decision-time, commitment-time. The effort to save PR status may not succeed, but to have any chance of successfully keeping PR status, that will demand a more or less ALL-IN effort, a real commitment.

Additionally I think I can offer some clarity regarding procedure.

PROSPECT of PoE WAIVE-THROUGH:

Given Covid-19, and your explanation of the circumstances surrounding how long it has taken to come to Canada to settle, there is a chance that border officials will waive you and family through without going through the formal procedure attendant the issuance of a 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility, due to a failure to comply with the Residency Obligation.

I cannot guess what the chances are for being, in effect, waived through. In normal circumstances, given the length of absence, the probability of a formal 44(1) Report procedure at the PoE would be high. There are indications there is may be more leniency being exercised at the PoE, and reasonable expectations suggest this may be particularly true for PRs within their first five years.

Advantage, if this is how it goes, is that once you enter Canada you are personally in full control of whether there is any other event in which RO compliance might be examined. Thus, if you stay in Canada and avoid making any applications to IRCC, once you are in compliance with the RO your status will be secure.

The disadvantage you and others have discussed: the level of restraint precluding travel abroad for TWO years.

44(1) REPORT and ATTENDANT PROCEDURE AT PoE:

Given the length of absence, regardless of the mode of travel (by air and arriving at an airport PoE, for as long as you have a valid PR card, or travel by land via the U.S.), you are of course subject to being what many truncate to "REPORTED" upon arrival at a PoE. Being "REPORTED" refers to the procedures attendant the issuance of a 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility on the grounds of a Residency Obligation breach.

Even many who go through these procedures tend to describe it in general terms of outcome: Reported followed by being allowed to enter Canada, with thirty days to make an appeal.

That is kind of how @IndianBos described it, but contrary to what @IndianBos stated, if there is a 44(1) Report issued the decision at the PoE is indeed THE formal decision deciding whether PR status is terminated (revoked) or not. Even if that decision is made, to revoke or terminate PR status, and thus the PR is issued both a 44(1) Report AND a Departure Order, there is a right of appeal and otherwise that decision, or more to the point the Departure Order, does not take immediate effect.

The PR then gets to enter Canada and --

-- If the PR does not appeal, the decision to revoke PR status and Departure Order take effect in 30 days. At that point the now former PR has the status of Foreign National.​
-- If the PR makes a timely appeal, the Departure Order continues to be unenforceable, not in effect, as long as the appeal is pending.​
-- -- If the PR does not win the appeal, the decision made at the PoE becomes effective, the Departure Order is enforceable, and at that point individual is a Foreign National. This happens if the PR loses or abandons the appeal.​
-- -- If the PR wins the appeal, the Departure Order is set aside, and the PR continues to have PR status.​

NOTE regarding appeal by a PR who was in fact short of RO compliance, other than a remote chance of an appeal based on a failure to provide procedural fairness, the only grounds for winning the appeal are H&C reasons.

Disadvantage here is that to have a decent chance of winning the appeal you will need to STAY in Canada (with perhaps BRIEF trips abroad, but best chance of succeeding in the appeal is to stay) WITHOUT knowing how it will turn out, whether the effort to make a life in Canada will come to an end if the appeal is lost.

More Detail Regarding Particular Process at PoE Attendant Decision Terminating PR Status:

The process for being "Reported" upon arrival at a PoE generally goes like this (with some variation sometimes, but usually it goes like this):
-- First there is a referral to Immigration Secondary, where there is an examination involving questions related to RO compliance.​
-- When the examining officer determines the PR has failed to comply with the Residency Obligation, that officer issues the 44(1) Report.​
-- A second (different) officer then reviews that Report and also interviews the PR, and in doing this must consider whether there are sufficient H&C reasons for allowing the PR to keep status. This interview can be done telephonically with the second officer at a different location. (One of the variations in the process can occur if a second officer is not available, and the PR is allowed to proceed into Canada pending a later interview and review by a second officer.)​
-- At the conclusion of the interview and review with the second officer, that officer (who is acting on behalf of the Minister, so is called the "Minister's Delegate") decides whether to set aside the 44(1) Report or to issue a Departure Order. That is, the second officer, usually then and there while the PR is still in airport, makes the decision whether or not to terminate PR status.​
-- If the decision is to revoke PR status, the second officer issues the Departure Order to the PR, following which the PR is allowed to proceed into Canada (since the Departure Order does not become enforceable for at least 30 days).​

Anecdotal reports describing this suggest that the individual going through this process might not be clearly informed about what is specifically happening. In particular, since it is common for a traveler being examined in Secondary to be talking to multiple officers, anyway, it might not be clear to the traveler when there is the formal hand-off, so to say, from the officer issuing the 44(1) Report to the second officer who also asks the traveler questions.

Bottom-line: Once the matter goes to the second officer, it is usually all about whether the H&C reasons will be enough. The second officer is the one making the decision whether or not PR status is terminated. A favourable decision by this officer, the PR is good to go (and should even be able to make a PR card application, but best to wait several months at least before doing that). A negative decision by this officer is a decision revoking PR status, which is the final decision unless the PR appeals and wins the appeal.

APPLYING FOR a PR TRAVEL DOCUMENT:

If you fail to make the trip before your PR cards expire, or you elect to wait until your PR cards expire, you can make applications for PR Travel Documents and include with the application a request, plus supporting evidence, to be given H&C relief allowing you to retain PR status.

The disadvantage in doing this is that the odds of a negative decision appear to be higher than what you are likely to encounter at a PoE. For one thing, in this process there is a specific statutory presumption that a PR abroad not in possession of a valid PR card does not have valid PR status. This does not raise the bar by much, but it does raise it some.

The advantage is you do not need to fully invest in making a trip to Canada prepared to live in Canada for two straight years. If the application is denied you can still appeal, even though these tend to be very tough decisions to win on appeal. But if the application is granted you can travel to Canada knowing you will be allowed entry without being reported and it should reflect that the decision was based on H&C reasons, so you could apply for a new PR card once in Canada. And you would not be stuck in Canada for two years (trips outside Canada should still be few and SHORT, but otherwise the PR TD application H&C decision gives you significant cover, so to say).

That is, a PR TD application allows the PR abroad a way to get a more or less clear answer, and if it is yes the PR can go to Canada without the prospect of losing an appeal hanging overhead.

Last edited:

path009

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Nomination.....
PER 04-11-2014
Med's Request
18 Mar 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Issued
LANDED..........
Landed on Feb 2016
I cannot offer much other than what has already been said about the prospect of H&C relief. By the way, there are many discussions in this forum in which you can see H&C cases discussed in some depth.

I can say that at this stage it is more or less decision-time, commitment-time. The effort to save PR status may not succeed, but to have any chance of successfully keeping PR status, that will demand a more or less ALL-IN effort, a real commitment.

Additionally I think I can offer some clarity regarding procedure.

PROSPECT of PoE WAIVE-THROUGH:

Given Covid-19, and your explanation of the circumstances surrounding how long it has taken to come to Canada to settle, there is a chance that border officials will waive you and family through without going through the formal procedure attendant the issuance of a 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility, due to a failure to comply with the Residency Obligation.

I cannot guess what the chances are for being, in effect, waived through. In normal circumstances, given the length of absence, the probability of a formal 44(1) Report procedure at the PoE would be high. There are indications there is may be more leniency being exercised at the PoE, and reasonable expectations suggest this may be particularly true for PRs within their first five years.

Advantage, if this is how it goes, is that once you enter Canada you are personally in full control of whether there is any other event in which RO compliance might be examined. Thus, if you stay in Canada and avoid making any applications to IRCC, once you are in compliance with the RO your status will be secure.

The disadvantage you and others have discussed: the level of restraint precluding travel abroad for TWO years.

44(1) REPORT and ATTENDANT PROCEDURE AT PoE:

Given the length of absence, regardless of the mode of travel (by air and arriving at an airport PoE, for as long as you have a valid PR card, or travel by land via the U.S.), you are of course subject to being what many truncate to "REPORTED" upon arrival at a PoE. Being "REPORTED" refers to the procedures attendant the issuance of a 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility on the grounds of a Residency Obligation breach.

Even many who go through these procedures tend to describe it in general terms of outcome: Reported followed by being allowed to enter Canada, with thirty days to make an appeal.

That is kind of how @IndianBos described it, but contrary to what @IndianBos stated, if there is a 44(1) Report issued the decision at the PoE is indeed THE formal decision deciding whether PR status is terminated (revoked) or not. Even if that decision is made, to revoke or terminate PR status, and thus the PR is issued both a 44(1) Report AND a Departure Order, there is a right of appeal and otherwise that decision, or more to the point the Departure Order, does not take immediate effect.

The PR then gets to enter Canada and --

-- If the PR does not appeal, the decision to revoke PR status and Departure Order take effect in 30 days. At that point the now former PR has the status of Foreign National.​
-- If the PR makes a timely appeal, the Departure Order continues to be unenforceable, not in effect, as long as the appeal is pending.​
-- -- If the PR does not win the appeal, the decision made at the PoE becomes effective, the Departure Order is enforceable, and at that point individual is a Foreign National. This happens if the PR loses or abandons the appeal.​
-- -- If the PR wins the appeal, the Departure Order is set aside, and the PR continues to have PR status.​

NOTE regarding appeal by a PR who was in fact short of RO compliance, other than a remote chance of an appeal based on a failure to provide procedural fairness, the only grounds for winning the appeal are H&C reasons.

Disadvantage here is that to have a decent chance of winning the appeal you will need to STAY in Canada (with perhaps BRIEF trips abroad, but best chance of succeeding in the appeal is to stay) WITHOUT knowing how it will turn out, whether the effort to make a life in Canada will come to an end if the appeal is lost.

More Detail Regarding Particular Process at PoE Attendant Decision Terminating PR Status:

The process for being "Reported" upon arrival at a PoE generally goes like this (with some variation sometimes, but usually it goes like this):
-- First there is a referral to Immigration Secondary, where there is an examination involving questions related to RO compliance.​
-- When the examining officer determines the PR has failed to comply with the Residency Obligation, that officer issues the 44(1) Report.​
-- A second (different) officer then reviews that Report and also interviews the PR, and in doing this must consider whether there are sufficient H&C reasons for allowing the PR to keep status. This interview can be done telephonically with the second officer at a different location. (One of the variations in the process can occur if a second officer is not available, and the PR is allowed to proceed into Canada pending a later interview and review by a second officer.)​
-- At the conclusion of the interview and review with the second officer, that officer (who is acting on behalf of the Minister, so is called the "Minister's Delegate") decides whether to set aside the 44(1) Report or to issue a Departure Order. That is, the second officer, usually then and there while the PR is still in airport, makes the decision whether or not to terminate PR status.​
-- If the decision is to revoke PR status, the second officer issues the Departure Order to the PR, following which the PR is allowed to proceed into Canada (since the Departure Order does not become enforceable for at least 30 days).​

Anecdotal reports describing this suggest that the individual going through this process might not be clearly informed about what is specifically happening. In particular, since it is common for a traveler being examined in Secondary to be talking to multiple officers, anyway, it might not be clear to the traveler when there is the formal hand-off, so to say, from the officer issuing the 44(1) Report to the second officer who also asks the traveler questions.

Bottom-line: Once the matter goes to the second officer, it is usually all about whether the H&C reasons will be enough. The second officer is the one making the decision whether or not PR status is terminated. A favourable decision by this officer, the PR is good to go (and should even be able to make a PR card application, but best to wait several months at least before doing that). A negative decision by this officer is a decision revoking PR status, which is the final decision unless the PR appeals and wins the appeal.

APPLYING FOR a PR TRAVEL DOCUMENT:

If you fail to make the trip before your PR cards expire, or you elect to wait until your PR cards expire, you can make applications for PR Travel Documents and include with the application a request, plus supporting evidence, to be given H&C relief allowing you to retain PR status.

The disadvantage in doing this is that the odds of a negative decision appear to be higher than what you are likely to encounter at a PoE. For one thing, in this process there is a specific statutory presumption that a PR abroad not in possession of a valid PR card does not have valid PR status. This does not raise the bar by much, but it does raise it some.

The advantage is you do not need to fully invest in making a trip to Canada prepared to live in Canada for two straight years. If the application is denied you can still appeal, even though these tend to be very tough decisions to win on appeal. But if the application is granted you can travel to Canada knowing you will be allowed entry without being reported and it should reflect that the decision was based on H&C reasons, so you could apply for a new PR card once in Canada. And you would not be stuck in Canada for two years (trips outside Canada should still be few and SHORT, but otherwise the PR TD application H&C decision gives you significant cover, so to say).

That is, a PR TD application allows the PR abroad a way to get a more or less clear answer, and if it is yes the PR can go to Canada without the prospect of losing an appeal hanging overhead.
Thank you very much for your kind and detailed explanation. This has clearly summarised all perspectives.

Eusufzai

Oct 30, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
Doc's Request.
12-12-2013
Nomination.....
24-07-2015
AOR Received.
02-12-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Request
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016
Interview........
Waived

My question is:
OR

Hi Path009,

Greetings! Hope you are well and having a good time. May I ask you, what have you done finally? Did you apply for PRTD or you travelled to Canada before your PR card expire? Would you mind to share your experience.

Thanks and regards,

Eusufzai