+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD from within Canada?

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I landed in October 2015, went home for Christmas (am visa exempt so could return without the PR card in January), but it looks like I'm now going to need a PRTD. The PR cards are taking forever, a lot of people who landed at the same time as me are getting requests for new photos (apparently CIC changed the photo specs requirement on November 1 2015 so the ones submitted are no longer good enough).
My issue is I'm going on vacation for a week in April (not to my home country) and as of March 15th, I cannot just return on my passport. Is there a way to apply for a PRTD from within Canada? The form I found specifies applying from abroad and needs to be sent to the CIC office of my home country - apparently once I go back there and the travel document will be sent there. So obviously this isn't going to work when I'm going to be on the opposite side of the world for only one week... Ideas? Advice? Please?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can only apply for PRTDs from outside of Canada. You'll either need to hope you have your PR card in time or apply for the PRTD once you've left Canada.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yeah but applying for a PRTD once I leave is pointless. Im going to Cuba for a week. Home office is London. They'd send the PRTD to Ireland. I wouldn't get it before I fly back to Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It won't be process through London. It will be processed by the VO responsible for the country you are visiting (not sure if that's Havana or Mexico City in this case). I would try posting to the Permanent Residency Obligation section of the forum and asking about PRTD processing times from Cuba.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
well its done in Havana according to CIC website but I'm not actually going to have a fixed address in Cuba, I'm spending 1-2 days in each place and travelling round. Seems like the application needs to be dropped in at their drop box in Havana for them to process it there and they only operate Monday - Thursday. Also, am I supposed to give them my passport? It says the PRTD is a counterfoil in my passport but I'm not comfortable dropping it into a Cuban dropbox when I don't think they'd process it in a week anyway and I'm more than likely going to need it myself.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok this is a bit scammy but maybe you could let me know if you think it'd work. Apparently all Canadian work visas issued after August 1 2015 automatically were provided with an ETA. I received my bridging work permit, issued in October 2015 but I received it a few days after I landed. So its still in my possession and says its valid until October 2016. Would I be able to use that to get back to Canada and my COPR & passport at the point of entry? Or would they have revoked the ETA when I landed? does anyone even know how they're going to be checking ETA's? I can't find anywhere online to check if my passport has one attached to it, the way you can with an ESTA?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yeah - in that case I don't see how the PRTD is an option.

As for the work permit, as far as I know your work permit was automatically canceled when you landed (presumably along with the ETA). So it won't show as valid/active. But given ETA hasn't even lauched yet - it's anyone's guess. So if you want to try this, you would be risking going to Cuba and then being unable to return without going through the PRTD process.

I think you're going to have to hope you have your PR card in time. I assume the trip is already booked and can't be deferred?

The whole ETA thing is sure making life more complicated than before...

My husband and I almost went to Cuba for the first time between Christmas and New Year's - but decided on El Salvador instead (yes - even with the travel warnings). It was brilliant.

Hope your travel plans work out for you.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yeah I booked at Christmas, the PR card at the time was taking 60 days to process so I expected to have it early January. Now there's this whole issue with new photos being required - I haven't been asked yet for them so I might scrape through - but I genuinely don't know. And I'm leaving in 65 days, the current processing time is 73 days so its really thrown a curveball into my plans.

jaraMiguel

Feb 2, 2011
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
CANADIAN EMBASSY-MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
purplesnow said:
well its done in Havana according to CIC website but I'm not actually going to have a fixed address in Cuba, I'm spending 1-2 days in each place and travelling round. Seems like the application needs to be dropped in at their drop box in Havana for them to process it there and they only operate Monday - Thursday. Also, am I supposed to give them my passport? It says the PRTD is a counterfoil in my passport but I'm not comfortable dropping it into a Cuban dropbox when I don't think they'd process it in a week anyway and I'm more than likely going to need it myself.
I was wondering how your vacation was in Cuba ? Where you able to get PRTD? I'm in the same position right now, but vacation will be in Mexico. I got an offer as a videographer for a destination wedding on June 2. My PR Card will expire on March 17. I submitted my application for renewal today via express mail. I don't know if I'll be getting it on time of my flight. I did not renew my PR Card because I never thought I would get this offer, plus I'm already planning on applying for my citizenship.

My last option is PRTD, but I'm only staying in Mexico for 5 days... not sure how long it will take to get PRTD.

Any advice based on your experience?

Thank you! :D

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jaraMiguel said:
My last option is PRTD, but I'm only staying in Mexico for 5 days... not sure how long it will take to get PRTD.
Count on more than 5 days. If you happen to be right by one of the 3 visa offices in Mexico (Mexico City, Guadalajara or Monterrey) you may have a shot to do everything quickly in person, but even that is not guaranteed.

If you're on some resort and can't do this in person you'll need to mail your PRTD app + passport to the visa office, wait for them to process it, and then mail it back to where you're staying. I would guess zero chance to do all this in 5 days, and you'll not have your passport until it's done so may impact your travels home and require an unexpected extended stay.

Alternatively, you can fly direct to USA city close to Canada border and cross into Canada by land. For this no PR TD nor valid PR card is needed.

traincan

Mar 28, 2017
Rob_TO said:
Count on more than 5 days. If you happen to be right by one of the 3 visa offices in Mexico (Mexico City, Guadalajara or Monterrey) you may have a shot to do everything quickly in person, but even that is not guaranteed.

If you're on some resort and can't do this in person you'll need to mail your PRTD app + passport to the visa office, wait for them to process it, and then mail it back to where you're staying. I would guess zero chance to do all this in 5 days, and you'll not have your passport until it's done so may impact your travels home and require an unexpected extended stay.

Alternatively, you can fly direct to USA city close to Canada border and cross into Canada by land. For this no PR TD nor valid PR card is needed.

traincan

Mar 28, 2017
Hi
can anyone please confirm if we can submit the PRTD directly to one of the 3 visa offices in Mexico (Mexico City, Guadalajara or Monterrey) ? will any of the above accept to take? or they will refer you to submit ONLY via their local visa offices? can any one please help? this would save a lot of time as it might be submitted and collected in couple of days....
Thanks

LetMtl

Jan 21, 2018
Did anyone find out the processing time for PRTDs in Mexico? I’m calling the Mexico visa office tomorrow but would like to know if anyone has applied there and what your experience was. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Try posting your question in the Permanent Residency Obligation section of the forum. This is where most PRTD discussions can be found.

Reactions: LetMtl

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi
can anyone please confirm if we can submit the PRTD directly to one of the 3 visa offices in Mexico (Mexico City, Guadalajara or Monterrey) ? will any of the above accept to take? or they will refer you to submit ONLY via their local visa offices? can any one please help? this would save a lot of time as it might be submitted and collected in couple of days....
Thanks
1. YOu only can submit the PRTD application at the VAC in Mexico City
2. From the VAC site "we would like to inform you 28 April 2017 will be the last operational day for Guadalajara and Monterrey Canada Visa Application Center."