File Transfer...
29-4-2015
Med's Done....
5-2-2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 14-8-2015 DM: 15-12-2015
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
Hello! So I've been worrying myself about the proof of relationship portion of my common-law outland sponsorship package.

What we have:

- Many letters from family and friends attesting to the validity of our relationship (notarized)
- Numerous pictures of us together over the 3 years we lived together (shows physical changes over time like hair growth or haircuts, body changes, etc.), along with vacation pictures including us and both of our families (well over 50 photos)
- Screenshots of skype messages during the long distance we are going through currently (more will be available once we actually submit the application)
- Holiday cards sent to the address we lived together at from my family
- Copy of my flight ticket showing my first visit to Canada
- Old email from when we first got together as kids
- Letter explaining our lack of chat based evidence during our first 3 years together over long distance (we were young and our relationship during that time was a secret from our families)

Do I have enough to satisfy a random person of the validity of our relationship? ;_;

CHETHANBV

Sep 6, 2014
Hi

Am planning for PR for Canada I have cleared my IELTS and scored 6 in avg. My own sister stays in canada and hold PR since two years. I need get her PR, utility bills, passport and other copies of documents notarized.

My question is , is it mandatory to get all the documents notarized and necessary to get it notarized in Canada ? What are other documents and alternatives ?

Unhappy

Mar 29, 2013
CHETHANBV said:
Hi

Am planning for PR for Canada I have cleared my IELTS and scored 6 in avg. My own sister stays in canada and hold PR since two years. I need get her PR, utility bills, passport and other copies of documents notarized.

My question is , is it mandatory to get all the documents notarized and necessary to get it notarized in Canada ? What are other documents and alternatives ?
It's going to be far more credible and in English if you get it done here. I also have some other good news for you. Many Members of Parliament offices now are authorized to notarize documents and they do it for free, for federal government things. Have your sister find out who her M.P. is, call their office and if they say no they don't, she can ask for the nearest M.P.office that does. If she is in a big city, there should be someone who lives not far. Notaries and lawyers are not allowed to charge very much. In Ontario a Notary cannot charge more than $16 but I'm not sure if that is per document.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
gooh said:
Hello! So I've been worrying myself about the proof of relationship portion of my common-law outland sponsorship package.

Do I have enough to satisfy a random person of the validity of our relationship? ;_;
Hi

That is all good evidence, though you seem to be missing anything that actually proves that you are common-law. Or have you just not included any of that proof in this list?

If you are currently living apart, you will need solid proof establishing that you did live together for a year and are common-law.

CHETHANBV said:
Don't hijack someone else's thread, especially when your post has nothing to do with the thread topic. Find the appropriate section of the forum in which to post your query http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php#2.

gooh

Jul 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-3-2015
AOR Received.
23-4-2015
File Transfer...
29-4-2015
Med's Done....
5-2-2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

That is all good evidence, though you seem to be missing anything that actually proves that you are common-law. Or have you just not included any of that proof in this list?

If you are currently living apart, you will need solid proof establishing that you did live together for a year and are common-law.

Don't hijack someone else's thread, especially when your post has nothing to do with the thread topic. Find the appropriate section of the forum in which to post your query http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php#2.
I don't know what evidence I can provide, I figured the holiday cards sent to the house we both resided in Canada would help.

Can you give me some examples please? We were living with his parents so we don't have a house in our name or bill payments or anything of that sort. We didn't keep our bank statements, which were both sent to the house we lived in together. When I went to the bank to see if I could request bank statements for up to a year, they could provide them to me, but the ones they could give me didn't have the house address on them :/ We also do have notarized letters from his parents attesting to our living together for over a year (we lived together for 3) When I was extending my visitor visa during my stay, I did always provide the same address in which we lived together..Would a notarized declaration of common-law help?

I don't know what to do..

gooh

Jul 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-3-2015
AOR Received.
23-4-2015
File Transfer...
29-4-2015
Med's Done....
5-2-2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
CHETHANBV said:
My thread please help

pr-for-canada
Could you please not try and hijack my own thread?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
gooh said:
Can you give me some examples please? We were living with his parents so we don't have a house in our name or bill payments or anything of that sort. We didn't keep our bank statements, which were both sent to the house we lived in together. When I went to the bank to see if I could request bank statements for up to a year, they could provide them to me, but the ones they could give me didn't have the house address on them :/ When I was extending my visitor visa during my stay, I did always provide the same address in which we lived together..Would a notarized declaration of common-law help?
Here is CIC's list http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=347&t=14

The most common proofs are joint lease/mortgage, joint utilities, joint financial statements and any type of mail in both names or in each name with the same address. A notarized letter from his parents attesting to the time that you lived there together would be good. Your other family/friend letters should also confirm that you were living together at X address for X amount of time.

The holiday cards are good. Including the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union would most likely be helpful. It definitely won't hurt the app to include it.

What about any other mail either of you received? It can be almost anything, phone bills, letters from your employer, from the government, from your doctor, tax notices, payslips etc., as long as it shows your names, the date and the address.

Any IDs like driver's licenses with the same address on them?

Any insurance policies with each other as the beneficiary and with the same address?

Sometimes you need to get think outside of the box if you have no other proofs. You could ask the bank manager/former employers/doctor's office/dentist etc. if they will write a letter confirming the address they had on file for both of you.

gooh

Jul 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-3-2015
AOR Received.
23-4-2015
File Transfer...
29-4-2015
Med's Done....
5-2-2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Here is CIC's list http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=347&t=14

The most common proofs are joint lease/mortgage, joint utilities, joint financial statements and any type of mail in both names or in each name with the same address. A notarized letter from his parents attesting to the time that you lived there together would be good. Your other family/friend letters should also confirm that you were living together at X address for X amount of time.

The holiday cards are good. Including the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union would most likely be helpful. It definitely won't hurt the app to include it.

What about any other mail either of you received? It can be almost anything, phone bills, letters from your employer, from the government, from your doctor, tax notices, payslips etc., as long as it shows your names, the date and the address.

Any IDs like driver's licenses with the same address on them?

Any insurance policies with each other as the beneficiary and with the same address?

Sometimes you need to get think outside of the box if you have no other proofs. You could ask the bank manager/former employers/doctor's office/dentist etc. if they will write a letter confirming the address they had on file for both of you.
I have holiday cards, I may have a few stray bank statements showing the address, but I'm not sure, I'd have to check. And as for the statutory declaration of Common-Law, is it possible to get one without the other partner being there? I do have many notarized letters attesting to our cohabitation, should I just gather as much information as I can? I'm very nervous that they may not believe me..

EDIT: Upon searching my papers I did find a few letters and stray bank statements addressed to the place we were living.

gooh

Jul 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-3-2015
AOR Received.
23-4-2015
File Transfer...
29-4-2015
Med's Done....
5-2-2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
21-12-2015

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
SA, AIP and DM May 21th, 2015 Landed: June 12, 2015
gooh said:
Hi gooh,

I applied for Common-Law too, I just sent my application last Feb. 2014. Here are the lists of documents that I sent:

Lease Agreement ( since you are living with his parents, you can make a statutory declaration form his parents stating that you and your partner lived in the house from this month up to this month...from the time you lived together till the present.)

Proof of the same Address ( collect all the letters of correspondence from time to time. )

CRA changed from Single to Common-Law ( send the documents stating that your are Common-Law for tax purposes, that is one of the solid proofs)

Cohabitation Agreement ( we made an agreement towards our finances and properties)

Living Wills ( stating me as one of the persons inherited some of our finances together)

Statutory Declaration ( 2 of our close friends who has the knowledge about our relationship) it should be notarized.

Letters from both of our family circle stating about our relationship.

We never had joint bank account together but I had a proof of interac-money transfer that I send him money in his account monthly for my monthly contribution of our food and bills. I print the documents and sent it with my application.

And lastly I sent Proof of the Relationships ( pictures, messages that we sent in Facebook while I was working, emails and chat logs)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
gooh said:
I have holiday cards, I may have a few stray bank statements showing the address, but I'm not sure, I'd have to check. And as for the statutory declaration of Common-Law, is it possible to get one without the other partner being there? I do have many notarized letters attesting to our cohabitation, should I just gather as much information as I can? I'm very nervous that they may not believe me..

EDIT: Upon searching my papers I did find a few letters and stray bank statements addressed to the place we were living.
I don't know if you both need to be there for the Stat Dec.

Include those letters and statements and anything else you find.

gooh

Jul 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-3-2015
AOR Received.
23-4-2015
File Transfer...
29-4-2015
Med's Done....
5-2-2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
Thank you all for your help! I went through all my papers and did end up finding at least a year's worth of bank statements for us both, so I'm good to go!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
gooh said:
Thank you all for your help! I went through all my papers and did end up finding at least a year's worth of bank statements for us both, so I'm good to go!
Good to hear!