+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of 'Landing Funds" >>>

cforcanada

Mar 1, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am in the same situation. Please enlighten us if you receive some answer to these questions.

Can husband and wife carry $8000 each and not declare it
Or

It is counted as $16,000 as a whole?

There is nothing wrong with declaring it, but if its not needed than why take unnecessary steps.

Cheers.

pittabread said:
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf

In first case if 2 family members (one is carrying $14000 and other is carrying $0) choose one declaration card to fill and answer yes to "we are bringing into Canada, Currency and/or monetary instruments of a value totalling CAN$10,000 or more per person" then its true for the person who is carrying $14000 but what about other who is carrying $0 as each person is responsible for his / her own declaration. This statement becomes false for the person who is carrying $0.

Logically this card is wrong?

In 2nd case there is a loop hole I think. In 2nd case if they divide the money half half and carry $7000 each and pick 2 cards to fill and as each is carrying $7000 and they answer no to "I am bringing into Canada, Currency and/or monetary instruments of a value totalling CAN$10,000 or more per person"

What then?

I am emailing the same question to Canadian border agency and lets see whats the reply?

Thanks

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cforcanada said:
I am in the same situation. Please enlighten us if you receive some answer to these questions.

Or

There is nothing wrong with declaring it, but if its not needed than why take unnecessary steps.

Cheers.
Hi!

Canadian Border agency advised that if total $16000 belong to you then you should carry this whole sum and do not give half to your wife. Same is true if this money belongs to your wife then she should carry the whole sum and do not give you half. In that case you will have to declare $16000 and thats what I advise you to do. You will have to fill one declaration card and tick yes that "we are bringing into canada, Currency and/or monetary instruments of a value totalling CAN$10,000 or more per person. Also You need to fill out the necessary document, Form E677 – Cross-Border Currency Reporting, which you can do in advance, ensuring that you sign it only in the presence of a CBSA border officer. Form E677 may be found here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e677.pdf

Thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
cforcanada said:

Or

Cheers.
Just curious, Which is the "unnecessary step" r u referring to?

cforcanada

Mar 1, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Just curious, Which is the "unnecessary step" r u referring to?
Filling out forms and declaring amount, if it can be done without declaring it.

cforcanada

Mar 1, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your quick response.

I was just curious, how in the world will they know which notes (money) belong to me and which notes belong to my wife.

pittabread said:
Hi!

Canadian Border agency advised that if total $16000 belong to you then you should carry this whole sum and do not give half to your wife. Same is true if this money belongs to your wife then she should carry the whole sum and do not give you half. In that case you will have to declare $16000 and thats what I advise you to do. You will have to fill one declaration card and tick yes that "we are bringing into canada, Currency and/or monetary instruments of a value totalling CAN$10,000 or more per person. Also You need to fill out the necessary document, Form E677 – Cross-Border Currency Reporting, which you can do in advance, ensuring that you sign it only in the presence of a CBSA border officer. Form E677 may be found here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e677.pdf

Thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
cforcanada said:
Filling out forms and declaring amount, if it can be done without declaring it.
That one form [declaration card] u'll have to fill-in, whether u state the $10K or do not, and whether u like it or not !
There r just no other steps. U don't file-in any other forms, nothing else...

Qorax

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
That one form [declaration card] u'll have to fill-in, whether u state the $10K or do not, and whether u like it or not !
There r just no other steps. U don't file-in any other forms, nothing else...

Qorax
Also You need to fill out the necessary document, Form E677 – Cross-Border Currency Reporting, which you can do in advance, ensuring that you sign it only in the presence of a CBSA border officer. Form E677 may be found here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e677.pdf

Thanks

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cforcanada said:
Thank you for your quick response.

I was just curious, how in the world will they know which notes (money) belong to me and which notes belong to my wife.
Money they refering to when you showed proof of funds earlier when your PRR was granted. If you showed your bank statements or your wife's.

Thanks

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cforcanada said:

Or

Cheers.
Dear I just got the reply. What they replied 2nd time was irrelevant so I only said that irrelevant reply to my query then I received this 3rd reply. Based on this yes you can carry $8000 and your wife can carry $8000 too and you don't need to declare then. Please check

We apologize if you found the technical nature of our previous answer unsatisfactory.

If you are carrying $7,000 CDN of your funds on your person and your wife is carrying $7,000 CDN of her funds on her person then there is no requirement to complete the E677 report.

If you are carrying $14,000 CDN of your funds on your person and your wife is not carrying any funds then you must complete the form. Your wife does not have to complete the form as she is not carrying an amount over $10,000 CDN.

If you still require assistance we strongly suggest that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS) line. You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. local time, Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an agent by pressing “0” at any time.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

Sent: September 2, 2011 3:39 PM
To: CBSA-ASFC_CONTACT
Subject: RE: urgent query **15207** link to **15170** link to **15034**

irrelevant answer. you did not read my email carefully

On Fri, 9/2/11, CBSA-ASFC_CONTACT <contact @ cbsa-asfc.gc.ca> wrote:

Subject: RE: urgent query **15170** link to **15034**
To: XXXXXXXX
Date: Friday, September 2, 2011, 5:15 PM

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for the administration and enforcement of Part II of the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act. Part II requires the reporting of currency or monetary instruments in the actual possession of a person arriving in or departing from Canada.

It is very important that currency and monetary instruments be declared properly. If the funds you are bringing into Canada belong to you or you are carry the funds for someone else, then you and you alone are responsible for their declaration. You should not delegate funds to family members simply to avoid paperwork. Misrepresentation and false declarations are serious CBSA offenses.

The CBSA has the authority to seize unreported amounts that exceed the reporting threshold. The currency and monetary instruments may be returned upon payment of a penalty. The CBSA need not return the currency and monetary instruments where it is suspected to be proceeds of crime or funds for the use of financing terrorist activities. Penalties range from $250 to $5000 depending on the circumstances and may include forfeiture.

At this time it is incumbent upon the CBSA to strongly suggest that you fully report funds being brought into Canada yourself. You can fill out the necessary document, Form E677 – Cross-Border Currency Reporting, in advance, ensuring that you sign it only in the presence of a CBSA border officer. Form E677 may be found here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e677.pdf

We strongly suggest that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS) should you require further clarification. You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. local time, Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an agent by pressing “0” at any time.

We trust this information is useful to you, and thank you for contacting the CBSA.

Sent: September 2, 2011 5:56 AM

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thanks much for your reply. As per your reply if I carry the whole amount $14000 as the money belongs to me and my wife carries $0 and we choose to fill one declaration card for the family and we answe yes to ."we are bringing into Canada, Currency and/or monetary instruments of a value totalling CAN$10,000 or more per person" then its true for me as I am carrying $14000 but what about my wife who is carrying $0 as each person is responsible for his / her own declaration. This statement becomes false for my wife who is carrying $0.

I think your card is logically wrong.?

And in 2nd case there is a loop hole there and you need to close this loop hole. In 2nd case what two people can do they can divide the money half half and carry $7000 each and pick 2 cards to fill and as each is carrying $7000 and they answer no to "I am bringing into Canada, Currency and/or monetary instruments of a value totalling CAN$10,000 or more per person"

What then?

Please answer this query

Regards

On Thu, 9/1/11, CBSA-ASFC_CONTACT <contact@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca> wrote:

Subject: RE: urgent query **15034**
To: XXXXXXXXXX
Date: Thursday, September 1, 2011, 8:56 PM

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) appreciates your interest in ensuring that you meet the cross-border currency reporting requirements upon your arrival in Canada. As you may be aware, the CBSA is responsible for the administration and enforcement of Part II of the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act. Part II requires the reporting of currency or monetary instruments in the actual possession of a person arriving in or departing from Canada. Each traveller is responsible for his or her own declaration.

There are no restrictions on the amount of currency or monetary instruments that you can bring into or take out of Canada, nor is it illegal to do so. However, you have to report to the CBSA amounts equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 or the equivalent in foreign currency. It is very important that currency and monetary instruments be declared properly. If the funds you are bringing into Canada belong to you, then you and you alone are responsible for their declaration. You should not delegate funds to family members simply to avoid paperwork. Misrepresentation and false declarations are serious CBSA offenses.

If you require further information on the CBSA’s Cross Border Currency Reporting Program, please visit our Web site at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/cbcr-dmte/menu-eng.html

You can fill out the necessary document, Form E677 – Cross-Border Currency Reporting, in advance, ensuring that you sign it only in the presence of a CBSA border officer. Form E677 may be found here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e677.pdf

We suggest that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS) should you require further clarification. You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. local time, Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an agent by pressing “0” at any time.

We trust that this information is useful to you and thank you for contacting CBSA.

Sent: August 31, 2011 3:00 PM
To: Contact@cbsa.gc.ca
Subject: urgent query **15034**

Dear Sir / Madam,

First of all be very kind in replying to my email.

I have a general query. I and my wife have got Canadian Permanant resident visa recently. My question is about filling the declaration card when we arrive in canada?

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf

As the funds required for 2 people is $13,837 so my wife and me each will be carrying a bank draft of $7000 each.

We both will be filling just one landing card as we are together. When filling the card should I answer yes or no to the following question ?

"Currency and/or monetary instruments of a value totalling CAN$10,000 or more per person" ????

I assume we should say no to this question as per person we are carrying $7000 which is less than $10,000.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hope to hear from you soon and thanking you in anticipation.

Thanks

cforcanada

Mar 1, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great job Pittabread. Now it makes sense to me. I am also going to call them on tuesday and talk to them personally about this matter. I will let you know if anything comes up different than their reply to you.

Thank you once again for your message my friend.

Take care.

pittabread said:
Dear I just got the reply. What they replied 2nd time was irrelevant so I only said that irrelevant reply to my query then I received this 3rd reply. Based on this yes you can carry $8000 and your wife can carry $8000 too and you don't need to declare then. Please check

We apologize if you found the technical nature of our previous answer unsatisfactory.

If you are carrying $7,000 CDN of your funds on your person and your wife is carrying $7,000 CDN of her funds on her person then there is no requirement to complete the E677 report.

If you are carrying $14,000 CDN of your funds on your person and your wife is not carrying any funds then you must complete the form. Your wife does not have to complete the form as she is not carrying an amount over $10,000 CDN.

If you still require assistance we strongly suggest that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS) line. You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. local time, Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an agent by pressing “0” at any time.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

Sent: September 2, 2011 3:39 PM
Subject: RE: urgent query **15207** link to **15170** link to **15034**

irrelevant answer. you did not read my email carefully

On Fri, 9/2/11, CBSA-ASFC_CONTACT <contact @ cbsa-asfc.gc.ca> wrote:

To: XXXXXXXX
Date: Friday, September 2, 2011, 5:15 PM

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for the administration and enforcement of Part II of the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act. Part II requires the reporting of currency or monetary instruments in the actual possession of a person arriving in or departing from Canada.

It is very important that currency and monetary instruments be declared properly. If the funds you are bringing into Canada belong to you or you are carry the funds for someone else, then you and you alone are responsible for their declaration. You should not delegate funds to family members simply to avoid paperwork. Misrepresentation and false declarations are serious CBSA offenses.

The CBSA has the authority to seize unreported amounts that exceed the reporting threshold. The currency and monetary instruments may be returned upon payment of a penalty. The CBSA need not return the currency and monetary instruments where it is suspected to be proceeds of crime or funds for the use of financing terrorist activities. Penalties range from $250 to $5000 depending on the circumstances and may include forfeiture.

At this time it is incumbent upon the CBSA to strongly suggest that you fully report funds being brought into Canada yourself. You can fill out the necessary document, Form E677 – Cross-Border Currency Reporting, in advance, ensuring that you sign it only in the presence of a CBSA border officer. Form E677 may be found here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e677.pdf

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ cforcanada

No problems dear :) and yes please tell me what they say. One thing I must emphasize that you make them clearly undesrtand what you are asking as they might not understand first what you asking and talk irrelevant like what they did in my case.

Thanks

goodwill

Star Member
Jun 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
islamabad/london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2008
Doc's Request.
4-6-2009
AOR Received.
19-06-2008
IELTS Request
already given
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
17-10-2010
Med's Done....
15-11-2010
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
15-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-6-2011,d/m 28-06-2011,got passports back 6-07-2011
LANDED..........
inshalla in mid september 2011
Dear Qorax
We are required to bring 24,000 $ approx for family of 5 & planning to take 50% cash & 50% draft.
We also have some gold bars.Should we prefill the form E677 and mention the amount of money bringing and gold bars in it. ???or write gold bars in goods accompanying........
Thanks.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
goodwill said:
Dear Qorax
We are required to bring 24,000 $ approx for family of 5 & planning to take 50% cash & 50% draft.
We also have some gold bars.Should we prefill the form E677 and mention the amount of money bringing and gold bars in it. ???or write gold bars in goods accompanying........
Thanks.
1. U don't require to fill-in the form E677. A BSO@Customs Desk [not the Immgr. Desk], after the baggage carousel, will do it 'online' for u, if they so deem fit. All u fill-in is the 'Declaration Card' [compulsory step]. And contrary to what is going around here -- pls 'tick' the $10K box... don't imagine a 'distributed figure' between your family members... 'coz for 'record of landing' the dependents of yours have no locus standi... they r part of u, as one family unit immigrating to Canada.

2. Yes, the Gold Bars should be listed in the GAL [Goods Accompanying List]. Moreover, u should also note down their description, Ser. Nos. & make. And that 50:50 is a wise way of bringing-in your funds.

Qorax

lnd_dan

Jun 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2013
Nomination.....
16-05-2013
AOR Received.
16-05-2013
File Transfer...
14-08-2013
Med's Request
28-08-2013
Med's Done....
29-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
19-10-2013
Dear Qorax,
Pls. I just need to understand this topic as regards PNP, if I will be staying with my relation  arrival and as am expected to bring 11k$ if I bring 1/4 of the amount will I have issues? As I read somewhere in d forum dat PNP don't require to show POF pls kindly clear this and if I will be fine with 1/4 of d required amount.
Thank u
Dan

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
lnd_dan said:
Dear Qorax,
Pls. I just need to understand this topic as regards PNP, if I will be staying with my relation  arrival and as am expected to bring 11k$ if I bring 1/4 of the amount will I have issues? As I read somewhere in d forum dat PNP don't require to show POF pls kindly clear this and if I will be fine with 1/4 of d required amount.
Thank u
Dan
Exemption from POF [Settlement Funds] requirement is specific to FSW class, as the category of "arranged employment" is defined as part of the selection grid for FSW-2 applicants; as such the exemption does not apply to PNP class.

However, as there is no separate link on POF for PNP applicants, because the required amounts are the same, there is thus, a grey area of assimilation/ understanding. The guide surely asks us to submit our POF statement during applying... and it has been observed over the forum/s that CHCs have been asking 'updated POF' during the meds. It's another matter that while 'landing' many BSOs overlook this step.

For FSW see IRPA Regulations sections 75-85 (section 82 for Arranged Employment, and paragraph 76.1.(b)ii for exemption from settlement funds requirement). PNP class is dealt with in section 87.

Basically, as PNP applicants, if you encounter a BSO@the POE who follows the law to the letter, you are most likely to be asked for POF, regardless of your employment/work permit status in Canada. From a logical point of view, it doesn't make much sense to demand POF from PNP applicants who are mostly nominated for the economic potential they represent for the provinces. But I guess the Feds wish to hold onto this bit of authority over the provinces.

Hope that helped,
or rather confused the issue further !

Qorax