+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of funds requirements - Explained

ainpfamily

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
erikvirgo said:
ainpfamily,

How did you deposit the money into saving accounts? by cash? if so you can always tell CHC that you have cash stashed for emergency and then put it in saving accounts as Canada Immigration POF.
They want to see your bank account just to know if you actually have income that enable you save that kind of cash or POF but really how can they prove it if that is your own money/cash...You jsut have to convince them that it is your money
thank you for the response...

i am planning to show my salary statement for last 6 year. the saving corresponds to around 20% of the income which i think is reasonable...

also i can explain that i also invested some amount in prize bonds/gold and now i have transferred it into Fixed Deposit so that CIC can verify it.

regards,

S

shibuya

Dear Fariza,
Please go thru the posts. You can get an idea what u need to do currently.

Regards,
Shibuya

Ana.24

Jul 5, 2010
Hi,
I am planning to apply for FSW and my CHC would be New Delhi but right now i am in US.
Can anyone please tell me if i can show my US account and Indian account together for Proof of Funds?
Or does it have to be only in Indian Account as my CHC would be New Delhi?

Thanks...

swapnochary

Jul 27, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2010
Doc's Request.
03-03-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
IELTS Request
L - 7.5, R - 6.5, W - 6.5, S - 8.0, Ov. All. - 7
Med's Request
12-07-2010
Med's Done....
02-08-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
31-08-2010 PP submitted: 14-09-2010 Decision made: 05-10-10
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2010 VISA RCVD...: 24-10-2010
LANDED..........
GOD KNOWS
Can i show bank statements of my local country bank at POE ?? money is in local bank

sd_dd_2007

Dec 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-May-2013
IELTS Request
Sent along with the application
Hi Shibuya,
I am planning to apply to the FSW in 2013. I am quoting this line from one of your emails in this thread.
"Real Estate: Money in property is probably the most widely used proof of funds. Many people plan to sell property owned in their home country before landing in Canada and will use the equity to establish themselves.

This is totally acceptable by CIC and they appreciate that you may not have actually sold the property at the point you are required to supply this information and make allowances for this."

Can you please let me know if Real Estate can be shown as Proof of Funds? Because in the same thread one member responded that this is not acceptable as POF. Can you please let me know if you can confirm this or let me know how can I get a confirmation on this?

Regards, SD_DD

mahinhossain

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-10-2016
Doc's Request.
23-11-2016
Nomination.....
29-11-2016
AOR Received.
01-03-2017
File Transfer...
11-04-2017
Med's Request
26-05-2017
Med's Done....
03-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2017
LANDED..........
06-02-2018
Guys,

Just a foolish query.....If I show the required fund in my bank account and have provided the Bank statement accordingly with my application....how important this is to keep the full fund intact in that account till I receive the Visa.....???? Can I use the fund within that period....???

karki.namuna

Jan 1, 2013
mahinhossain said:
Guys,

Just a foolish query.....If I show the required fund in my bank account and have provided the Bank statement accordingly with my application....how important this is to keep the full fund intact in that account till I receive the Visa.....???? Can I use the fund within that period....???
I think we need to keep the money through out the year, because if immigration can ask the proof of fund any time in detail.......

sultan.naweed

May 24, 2013
Dubai
Visa Office......
Dubai
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
hi there...
may i request you clarify the foll.
1. at the time of filing my application for PR while paying the app.processing fee ,and subsequently after getitng clearance and acceptance of application and paying the "right of PR fee",:

should i show the required "proof of funds" right when i submit my application to nova scotia
or
should i show it after they ask for it or after i get acceptance of application PR.

regards
naweed

ami2245

Jul 7, 2013
Thanks

shibuya said:
Canadian immigration, proof of funds requirements

As part of the permanent resident application process you will need to prove to the Canadian government that you have enough monitory funds to support yourself and any accompanying family members when you arrive in Canada. This is because the government will not provide any financial support for new immigrants and therefore they need to be sure that you arrive with enough money to establish yourself in Canada.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) set guidelines as to the required funds they consider you need as a minimum in order to establish yourself in Canada. The amount required depends on the size of your family. These amounts can vary from time to time, so you should check these figures at the point you need to use them.

At the time of your application you must show that you have at least the required amount in order for your application to be processed. The money has to belong to you and cannot be borrowed from another person. The money must be readily available in transferable currency for settlement in Canada.
Obviously you can take any amount above the required funds with you to Canada. There is no upper limit, although there are restrictions on how much cash you can physically take with you at the time of landing.

You may be wondering what type of funds you can use and what type of proof is required. Well, there are several things to consider:

Savings: If you have savings which match or exceed the required amount then you can simply supply a copy of your bank statement showing the funds in your account. You should be able to show the funds in your account for a minimum of three months and if the funds have recently been transferred you will need to show where they came from.

You will also need to show that you are not just sending a statement just after being paid and that all the funds will disappear from the account the following week. If your money is split between several accounts, you will need to provide details of each up to the amount required.

Shares, Bonds etc: This type of investment is not acceptable for CIC purposes as these are volatile accounts and you could still loose your money. If you want to use this type of funding, you will need to cash-in the money from the shares etc and deposit them in a suitable bank account and send the statements as above.

Possessions: Again this is not acceptable by CIC. you will need to liquidate the assets and deposit the money in a suitable account. This also applies to vehicles.

Real Estate: Money in property is probably the most widely used proof of funds. Many people plan to sell property owned in their home country before landing in Canada and will use the equity to establish themselves.

This is totally acceptable by CIC and they appreciate that you may not have actually sold the property at the point you are required to supply this information and make allowances for this.

You will be allowed to supply a mortgage statement from your lender stating how much money is owed on the property. You should then get your property valued by three independent companies. These can be real estate agents, property valuation companies, your mortgage lender etc. Make sure you get the valuation on letter headed paper and signed.

If you send both the mortgage details and the valuations the CIC can see how much equity you have available.

N.B. You do not have to show that you have these funds if you have arranged employment in Canada

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
sultan.naweed said:
hi there...
may i request you clarify the foll.
1. at the time of filing my application for PR while paying the app.processing fee ,and subsequently after getitng clearance and acceptance of application and paying the "right of PR fee",:

should i show the required "proof of funds" right when i submit my application to nova scotia
or
should i show it after they ask for it or after i get acceptance of application PR.

regards
naweed
You must provide proof of funds in your initial application to CIO Nova Scotia (unless you are applying with a job offer, in which case proof of funding is not required).

If you don't include this with your initial application it will fail the completeness check and your application will be returned, so it is really important that you include it right at the start.

Wayne.

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
Also a note on using equity in property as proof of funding.

It would seem that not all visa offices accept this. I can personally confirm that London Visa Office do, because we initially used equity in property for proof of funding.

But I understand some visa offices do not accept it.

Therefore I would strongly advise anyone thinking of using equity in property to check with the visa office they intend to apply through before proceeding.

Wayne.

JJ-C

May 17, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul 2011
Doc's Request.
Nov 4, 2013
Med's Request
Nov 4, 2013
Med's Done....
Sept 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Feb 21, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 25, 2014
LANDED..........
March 6, 2014
Hello Forumites,

I am sure some of you seniors will have the answer to my question.

Does an applicant under PNP who is working in Canada with a Post Grad work permit need to show proof of fund in the application to CIC? Proof of fund is one of the requirements, but I am just wondering why someone who has a white collar job in Canada still have to be subject to this requirement.

Thanks

marcustito

Jul 13, 2012
sd_dd_2007 said:
Hi Shibuya,
I am planning to apply to the FSW in 2013. I am quoting this line from one of your emails in this thread.
"Real Estate: Money in property is probably the most widely used proof of funds. Many people plan to sell property owned in their home country before landing in Canada and will use the equity to establish themselves.

This is totally acceptable by CIC and they appreciate that you may not have actually sold the property at the point you are required to supply this information and make allowances for this."

Can you please let me know if Real Estate can be shown as Proof of Funds? Because in the same thread one member responded that this is not acceptable as POF. Can you please let me know if you can confirm this or let me know how can I get a confirmation on this?

Regards, SD_DD
Same question here guys!

I have 2 houses and I intend to sell one and use this money when I arrive in Canada. Can I use this house as POF? The Real Estate is in my name (my father gave to me last year)

vaibhai

Oct 18, 2013
Hi Shibuya,

My application is ready to be sent only problem is the funds i did manage to get the money but the thing is my father is giving the money
to put in my account and when i send the file the bank statement will not be even 1 month old so do you think they can refuse me and return application.
Other thing can i use the the money from the same account like if i want to withdraw then later i put the money back?
Please advice me if anything else can be done
thanks

vaibhai

Oct 18, 2013
Hi Shibuya,

My application is ready to be sent only problem is the funds i did manage to get the money but the thing is my father is giving the money
to put in my account and when i send the file the bank statement will not be even 1 month old so do you think they can refuse me and return application.
Other thing can i use the the money from the same account like if i want to withdraw then later i put the money back?
Please advice me if anything else can be done
thanks