+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PROCESSING TIME FOR OPEN WORK PERMIT?

UnliklyHer0

Nov 11, 2010
Hi! I applied for my OPEN WORK PERMIT/SPOUSE SPONSORSHIP inland on September 2010. I am wondering how long it takes for the open work permit to come in, also i am wondering how long it takes to start processing or for my files to show up in their system when i look it up. The border said that it should take about 2 months for my papers to be received and be in the system, yet it has been 2 months now and there is still nothing and no word from them. Any advice would be helpful thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't know how soon the information will be displayed online.

However it will take approximately 8-9 months for the first stage of processing (including open work permit) to be completed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Danisa raises a very good point.

8-9 is currently the minimum processing time for stage 1. However for some people it has certainly taken longer.

Devin

Dec 6, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It took 9 months for mine to show up on the website. Then they send you letters stating whats happend, and then you have to still wait for the work permit. I received my letters 2 weeks ago saying everything was approved, and now i am waiting for my open work permit. so it takes around 9 months for first stage approval and then a few weeks for the work permit.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Minimum of 8 months before you receive first stage approval and the OWP.

Make sure your tourist health insurance is kept up to date, as you will not be eligible for any health care until you get your OWP.

In some cases, unfortunately, people are requested to go to an interview before AIP and OWP. This can add months, if not years to the application time line, depending on what back log your local CIC office has.

There is a huge misconception with many people that believe applying Inland with the OWP lets them work quicker. Not so!!!!

Unless you already have a student or work visa, applying Inland is probably the longest and most difficult route to take, in the spousal group. It puts immense pressure on the family unit, as only one partner is able to work and has to support the other through the whole process.

Devin

Dec 6, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can only check your status online after first stage approval, or denial. So you will have to wait the minimum of 8 months before you will even be able to see anything online, which is crazy considering that up until then you dont really have any idea whether they have received anything as they dont send you anything as confirmation. I tracked my documents with the post office, and posting from Toronto to Vegrille it took 5 working days for them to receive them. I know that CIC loggs the applications in their system as soon as they receive them in Vegrille, because when i checked my tracked parcel through the post office the date delivered matched the date CIC logged my documents in their systems. But again, you can only check that information after the minimum 8 months.

Hope that helps

ondang2

Nov 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
June 2010
AOR Received.
January 15,2011
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
January 15, 2011
Med's Done....
Febuary 8, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
April 27, 2011 sent passport May 17, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
received June 4, 2011
LANDED..........
June 24, 2011
hi guyz! can you please give me an info how to apply for OWP my husband is in canada as a foreign skilled worker since 2009 we are already nominated by New Brunswick under Provincial nominee program and application for PR was already submitted to Buffalo last july 1st but until now we haven't receive AOR/MR. Im here in the Philippines I don't know the procedure or what will be the best to come to Canada, to be with my husband while waiting for PR application can you please help me any suggestion? thanks in advance... godbless

Devin

Dec 6, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you applying outside of Canada? If so, I don’t think you can apply for an OWP as there is only one part to applying outside of Canada or at least after your sponsor is approved, so when and if you are approved you will be able to come to Canada as a permanent resident, so you won’t need an OWP.
If I misunderstood and you are applying inside of Canada, then you should have sent the application for an OWP with all the other documents and applications that you initially sent off. Then you would get an OWP after first stage approval, which is minimum 8 months. If you didn’t send an application for an OWP with everything in the beginning, I think that you can still apply, but you would have to wait and additional 30 days after first stage approval for them to process it.
As I said though, this is from what I have heard.