PNP
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
16-08-2017
Hello there,

i would like to get your opinions.
We are planning to land there by last week of May in Ontario.
Since there is waiting period for OHIP, we are planning to purchase private insurance before we land.

I would like to know if it is good to purchase the insurance with pre existing medical conditions even though you are not sick?

I was thinking in case before departure date you got sick or diagnosed with some sort of illness.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Mark

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello there,

i would like to get your opinions.
We are planning to land there by last week of May in Ontario.
Since there is waiting period for OHIP, we are planning to purchase private insurance before we land.

I would like to know if it is good to purchase the insurance with pre existing medical conditions even though you are not sick?

I was thinking in case before departure date you got sick or diagnosed with some sort of illness.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Mark
You need to be very careful with travel medical insurance with pre-existing conditions. In most cases the insuerer will only cover emergency costs related to those conditions, if they are stable over many months (so no changes in medication, no doctor/hospital visits related to condition, no recent emergency incidents, etc etc). Then the private insurance may cover unexpected costs related to it, but will not cover costs for regular checkup or routine prescriptions. You need to read the rules very carefully upfront, since most insurers will gladly take your money and give you a policy, but will then try to deny a claim if they feel you misrepresented the condition upfront.

That being said it's always advisable to get 3 months of private insurance while waiting for OHIP. Even if it was limited in covering pre-existing conditions, it's needed in case of any other emergency that may arise.

Also note if you purchase a policy in advance to start when in Canada, but something happens before you leave to Canada, you may need to report that to the insurer and your coverage or cost may be affected.

It's recommended to buy a medical insurance from a Canadian company, since it will be much easier in case you need to make a claim. Some policies from other countries, will expect you're only traveling temporarily and will expect you to return to home country at first opportunity if a medical emergency happened.

Reactions: markmark1983

markmark1983

Star Member
Jul 2, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
16-08-2017
You need to be very careful with travel medical insurance with pre-existing conditions. In most cases the insuerer will only cover emergency costs related to those conditions, if they are stable over many months (so no changes in medication, no doctor/hospital visits related to condition, no recent emergency incidents, etc etc). Then the private insurance may cover unexpected costs related to it, but will not cover costs for regular checkup or routine prescriptions. You need to read the rules very carefully upfront, since most insurers will gladly take your money and give you a policy, but will then try to deny a claim if they feel you misrepresented the condition upfront.

That being said it's always advisable to get 3 months of private insurance while waiting for OHIP. Even if it was limited in covering pre-existing conditions, it's needed in case of any other emergency that may arise.

Also note if you purchase a policy in advance to start when in Canada, but something happens before you leave to Canada, you may need to report that to the insurer and your coverage or cost may be affected.

It's recommended to buy a medical insurance from a Canadian company, since it will be much easier in case you need to make a claim. Some policies from other countries, will expect you're only traveling temporarily and will expect you to return to home country at first opportunity if a medical emergency happened.
thanks for the detailed information. Are there insurance companies in Canada that covers visits to doctors as well like for a simple flu or cough? Will they cover prescriptions as well? Most of the insurance company I see only covers emergency medical and hospitalization expenses.

I would also like to know what is the average consultation costs in canada in terms of visiting doctors for simple illness as I have stated above.

Thanks.
Mark

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thanks for the detailed information. Are there insurance companies in Canada that covers visits to doctors as well like for a simple flu or cough? Will they cover prescriptions as well? Most of the insurance company I see only covers emergency medical and hospitalization expenses.

I would also like to know what is the average consultation costs in canada in terms of visiting doctors for simple illness as I have stated above.

Thanks.
Mark
There are insurance policies that cover all of the above. However their rates are outrageous and you are better off paying for non-emergency care (including prescriptions) out of your own pocket. Costs of check-ups vary from clinic to clinic. I've seen costs from $60 to $100 that I can remember.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Thanks.
Mark
Why would you go to the doctors for a simple cold or cough? For this you can just get some over the counter meds from any drug store.

If it was something more serious, like a major unexpected cough or serious flu, that may be deemed as an emergency in which case the insurance company would cover doctor visit and any resulting tests, bloodwork, prescription meds. etc.

As mentioned above, a typical walk in clinic cost will be $75 - $120 or so.

markmark1983

Star Member
Jul 2, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
16-08-2017
thank you all for opinions, I was just used to having our child check up here that is covered everthing my insurance,,,appreciate all the inputs. Thanks!