+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prevented from re-entry to Canada after vacation to complete education

Nov 6, 2016
Hi,

I am pursuing higher education in Canada. I came for a vacation and received an email for a special interview invitation in the middle of my stay. The invitation also clearly states that I cannot enter Canada with current status until I appear for the interview.

The letter references my co-op work permit, study permit and temporary resident visa which are all valid till mid of next year. I am required to bring all of my passports, and a filled family information form.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks…!

wollyking

Nov 25, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-02-2017
Doc's Request.
01-03-2017
AOR Received.
13-04-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
08-06-2018
LANDED..........
14-06-2018
Were you out no university for longer than 3 months?

Nov 6, 2016
Bs65 said:
You came where for a vacation ? Who is the interview with outside Canada ?
I came to Pakistan for vacation nearly a month and a half ago. I intend to leave by the end of this month. The interview is with the Canadian High Commission Islamabad.

Nov 6, 2016
wollyking said:
Were you out no university for longer than 3 months?
No, I took a leave of absence from the university for the semester starting last Sept. The High Commission contacted me here in Pak advising to appear for a "Special Interview", which is the title of the letter, in Islamabad. The letter also has instructions to how to arrive at the diplomatic enclave and then the high commission.

faredtsbc

Star Member
Sep 26, 2016
Discombobulated said:
No, I took a leave of absence from the university for the semester starting last Sept. The High Commission contacted me here in Pak advising to appear for a "Special Interview", which is the title of the letter, in Islamabad. The letter also has instructions to how to arrive at the diplomatic enclave and then the high commission.
In your interview letter, did they ask you to bring certain documents with you for the interview? what kind of documents did they request?

Nov 6, 2016
This is what it says:

"This refers to your temporary resident visa, study permit and/or work permit.

Please be advised that these documents are NOT valid for travel to Canada at this time. Please do not attempt to travel as you will not be allowed to travel to Canada.

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has received information which must be discussed with you before your visa could be reinstated. This information suggests that you may not be entitled to hold a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa.

You must bring your passport with the existing visa in it, and any other current or prior passports you hold, to the interview

1. Your Interview

- You must attend an interview at the High Commission of Canada in Islamabad on: Wednesday, November 9th, 2016 at 10:00 AM
- You must bring this letter with you for identification purposes
- Failure to attend the above scheduled appointment will result in a permanent cancellation of your visa under section 16 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

2. Procedures for Interview Day

In order to reach the High Commission of Canada on the day of your interview:
- Arrive at the pick-up point for the Diplomatic Shuttle Service (on 3rd Avenue, leading towards Bari Imam & Quaid-e-Azam University) one to two hours before the time you are asked to be at the High Commission of Canada.
- Expenses incurred for this trip are entirely your responsibility.
- Do not bring luggage, large hand-bags, or briefcases with you. You will be asked to leave them at the pick-up point.
- Mobile phones or other recording devices are not permitted inside the High Commission.

3. Mandatory Document Requirements

Applicants must bring these documents to the interview. They must be fully completed in detail with current information:

1. A fully completed “Additional Family Information Form (IMM5406)” ,
2. As stated above, all passports.

ww.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5406E.PDF

Failure to provide fully completed and signed up-to-date forms at the interview may result in the refusal of the application.

Sincerely,

Immigration Program Manager (Counsellor) | Gestionnaire de Programme – Immigration (Conseiller)
Sector G-5, Diplomatic Enclave, PO Box 1042, Islamabad - 44000
Canadian High Commission in Pakistan | Haut Commissariat du Canada en Pakistan
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada"

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Were you a full time student during the summer months? Or were you on break during the summer and then decided to take a leave of absence starting in September?

Nov 6, 2016
scylla said:
Were you a full time student during the summer months? Or were you on break during the summer and then decided to take a leave of absence starting in September?
I was full time this summer with 13 credit hrs registration.

wollyking

Nov 25, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-02-2017
Doc's Request.
01-03-2017
AOR Received.
13-04-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
08-06-2018
LANDED..........
14-06-2018
I think taking fall off was what have triggered that interview. The summers are the only semesters during when one can take time off, considering the latest ammendments to the study permit leaves the student their study permit 'dormant' or invalid upon being out of school for 3 months or so.

wollyking

Nov 25, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-02-2017
Doc's Request.
01-03-2017
AOR Received.
13-04-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
08-06-2018
LANDED..........
14-06-2018
The silver lining is the interview of course. I believe the high commission there would want to know whether there were qualifying circumstances leading you to miss fall and travel to Pakistan. Again I am not a professional expert this is only based on speculations.

Nov 6, 2016
wollyking said:
The silver lining is the interview of course. I believe the high commission there would want to know whether there were qualifying circumstances leading you to miss fall and travel to Pakistan. Again I am not a professional expert this is only based on speculations.
I took a leave of absence from uni for my father. He was not well for the past one year and was getting worse. I submitted a medical certificate to uni to get the leave.

My father and some friends also believe the same as you speculated.

wollyking

Nov 25, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-02-2017
Doc's Request.
01-03-2017
AOR Received.
13-04-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
08-06-2018
LANDED..........
14-06-2018
That's okay. I believe CIC (IRCC) carries out audits by contacting the university where the student is enrolled. Either university didn't completely inform them about the reason or they want a prove from over the fact your father as a matter of fact is ill. In that interview do bring those documents you submitted with the leave of absence. All will be well. When is the interview?

faredtsbc

Star Member
Sep 26, 2016
Based on my experience with CIC interview, as long as you are being honest about your case and provide all the required documents, everything is going to be Ok. Do take with you any documents related to the reason why you took leave of absence as well as any documents that proof your current standing at the university like a transcript. You will be fine.