+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy in Manitoba without insurance

mbnew

Feb 27, 2013
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I can't find information I am looking for. If I don't have insurance, how much will I spend during pregnancy and delivery in Manitoba? The reason I am here without work and insurance as a visitor is only to be with my husband but if having this Canadian baby is too expensive for us, I should go back to my home country.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is your husbands status in Canada? If he is a student or a skilled temporary foreign worker, you could apply for an open work permit based on his permit and this would grant you the right to stay in Canada and get you health care. If he is a citizen or a PR, you could ask Manitoba Health if you qualify for health care if he sponsors you for PR.

Otherwise, if you must pay, you should ask hospitals and midwifes how much it might cost. Of course if there are complications, it could get expensive for you.

mbnew

Feb 27, 2013
Thank you Leon for the reply. He is Canadian citizen and he was told I have to wait until I become PR. We just got his sponsor approval, we don't know how long it will take after this. Some time ago, I had ultrasound with the request from a doctor in the US at St Boniface hospital. We were told it would be $300-400 but they charged $750 in total, they sent additional bills without telling us when we first paid. I don't trust what hospitals say anymore, I would like to know how much people actually paid. We were surprised Manitoba Health covers whole foreign families but foreign spouses of Canadian citizen are not covered. If somethiing happens to this Canadian baby at birth, insurance covers, but insurance doesn't cover the mother, right?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some provinces cover spouses of Canadians who are in the process of being sponsored. I guess Manitoba doesn't. The baby will be covered under health care from birth.

The reason they cover spouses of students and TFWs is that students and TFWs have temporary status and their spouses are entitled to temporary status to stay with them. In the cases of spouses of PRs and Canadians, they are not entitled to temporary status because their spouses are expected to sponsor them for PR. It is not really fair.

Would you be covered in Manitoba if you were a student? Can you enroll in a course and get a study permit?

mbnew

Feb 27, 2013
I should be covered as a student. I will ask at the airport when I come back about the procedure. He thinks I have to leave Canada to apply for it. Because my doctor couldn't get information he requested from St Boniface's report, I am now in the US so he can repeat the same test.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mbnew said:
I should be covered as a student. I will ask at the airport when I come back about the procedure. He thinks I have to leave Canada to apply for it. Because my doctor couldn't get information he requested from St Boniface's report, I am now in the US so he can repeat the same test.
You need to apply to a school in Canada and be accepted there as a student before you can apply for a student visa. Note that you will have to pay substantially higher tuition as a foreign student. To be quite honest, it will very likely cost you less to pay for all of the expenses related to your pregnancy yourself than to pay the foreign student fees for studying in Canada.

mbnew

Feb 27, 2013
scylla, maybe you are right. Even language school would cost $800/month. We are still looking for what we can do, driving to the US for ultrasound, go home at some point later might be what we would do.

kyen

Sep 26, 2014
Hi, I would like to know what happened to your case>?my brother is the same thing. They want to know how much is the cost to give birth here in Manitoba? Is there an insurance company available for my brother to enrol in to cover pregnancy?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
kyen said:
Hi, I would like to know what happened to your case>?my brother is the same thing. They want to know how much is the cost to give birth here in Manitoba? Is there an insurance company available for my brother to enrol in to cover pregnancy?
There is no insurance plan that will cover the most expensive part of pregnancy - the actual delivery. If it's an easy delivery then I would expect around $5000 should cover everything. However if any complications arise or if c-section or something is required... that cost could jump up to $10 or $15000 depending on how much time is required in hospital.

Annabo

Aug 1, 2014
Hi, everyone. Please, I need any of your advice concerning my issue, because the situation is rather difficult.
I started to collect the documents for my PR (Sponsorship inland) 5 months ago because I got married to Canadian citizen. We are waiting for one document to be done, then I'll have to pass medical examination and ready to apply.
Canadian Embassy extended my visit for the next three months (as I'm going to apply very soon)and asked me to pass medical tests during next 30 days. But the problem is that a week ago we found out that I'm pregnant. As soon as I know It's rather dangerous to pass X ray test being pregnant. However without this test I can not apply for PR card as I don't have the whole list of necessary documents and as a result can not stay longer than next three months.

Maybe somebody has faced such problem before or maybe you can advise me what to do in this situation.
I'll be extremely appreciated to any of your help

Thank you in advance

Anna

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
kyen said:
Well, there is a private medical insurance plan that actually covers up to 80% of the cost for prenatal care, nursing care as well as delivery for a maximum of $10,000.

However, in order to be eligible for such a benefit, an insured person must not fall pregnant for about 2 months after the effective date on the policy.