+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal, which is quicker: by post or online?

Rum7

Apr 15, 2023
We're in the process of our renewal application online and read somewhere that perhaps submitting the application by post makes the approval process faster. Wanted to confirm if this was true?

Also, a couple of more questions below. Thank you for your time in advance.

- Is there a way to submit your application as a family when doing it online? It seems all forms need to be submitted individually.
- Photo specs: from what we understood, the photo should be taken by a professional photographer with their details on the back, then scanned and uploaded. Even when submitting ONLINE. Hope we got that correct.

Thanks again.

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
Where can you apply for renewal of PR card online? The portal? I read the link here and it appears its only for those who are seeking permanent residence, but maybe i'm wrong.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
We're in the process of our renewal application online and read somewhere that perhaps submitting the application by post makes the approval process faster. Wanted to confirm if this was true?

Also, a couple of more questions below. Thank you for your time in advance.

- Is there a way to submit your application as a family when doing it online? It seems all forms need to be submitted individually.
- Photo specs: from what we understood, the photo should be taken by a professional photographer with their details on the back, then scanned and uploaded. Even when submitting ONLINE. Hope we got that correct.

Thanks again.
You can send up to three online applications within one account. Just finish one then initiate a new one. But in this case, you can only link your GCKey account with the first application, not all of the three. Thus you won't know what happens for the rest two. You'd better apply online separately.
Photos. You can scan it but make sure you scan at least above 300 dpi. 600 dpi is good to go. Or you can have a digital version from the photographer. Both work.
Compare with the speed, I think it's the same.

Rum7

Apr 15, 2023
You can send up to three online applications within one account. Just finish one then initiate a new one. But in this case, you can only link your GCKey account with the first application, not all of the three. Thus you won't know what happens for the rest two. You'd better apply online separately.
Photos. You can scan it but make sure you scan at least above 300 dpi. 600 dpi is good to go. Or you can have a digital version from the photographer. Both work.
Compare with the speed, I think it's the same.
Thank you. Re: the photos, so scanning the front and back, and uploading them should be fine right?

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
I wouldn’t bother trying to scan photos. Get a digital copy

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
How about the back of the photo? You still have to scan it and upload.
Correct. But for the front I would get a digital copy. Speaking from experience, scanning the photo and getting the portal to accept it was difficult and resulted in my application being returned. Once I got a digital copy there was no issues at all. It’s easier and reduces chances of a returned application

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Thanks. Have you submitted a digital photo for renewal and it was accepted?
Thanks. Have you submitted a digital photo for renewal and it was accepted?
yes. Had scanned photos cause the application to be returned twice. Once we used a digital copy there was no issues. Staples will do a digital copy. Take your own usb stick

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
yes. Had scanned photos cause the application to be returned twice. Once we used a digital copy there was no issues. Staples will do a digital copy. Take your own usb stick
Maybe not the scan issue. Mine is fine. My experience is scan with a larger dpi, say 600 dpi. It's not 420X540 minimum for sure, should be double the size at least( 840x1080 or more).
Did you retake the photo for the third submission? If yes, then could be the previous one not meet the requirement.

Last edited:

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Maybe not the scan issue. Mine is fine. My experience is scan with a larger dpi, say 600 dpi. It's not 420X540 minimum for sure, should be double the size at least( 840x1080 or more).
Did you retake the photo for the third submission? If yes, then could be the previous one not meet the requirement.
I’m not saying it wont work, it’s just a lot easier to get a digital photo that seems to work for sure