+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR RENEWAL REQUEST AFTER PR CARD IS EXPIRED

SISATAS

Sep 9, 2014
Hi,

I really need some legal advice on how to proceed on my brother's PR renewal. He got his PR card on FEB 2010 and it is going to be expired on FEB 2015. He stayed for a month after he got his PR card on Feb 2010 and he only visited once more in July 2012 for two weeks.

He cannot come to stay for 730 days before his PR expires in FEB 2015. He can only come to stay for couple of months or weeks. I was wondering if he can re-apply for example 2-3 years later for a regular working permit and visa to be able to come to Canada and stay for 2 years straight and then apply for his PR renewal and somehow try to explain his absence.

Thank you for you time.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
SISATAS said:
Hi,

I really need some legal advice on how to proceed on my brother's PR renewal. He got his PR card on FEB 2010 and it is going to be expired on FEB 2015. He stayed for a month after he got his PR card on Feb 2010 and he only visited once more in July 2012 for two weeks.

He cannot come to stay for 730 days before his PR expires in FEB 2015. He can only come to stay for couple of months or weeks. I was wondering if he can re-apply for example 2-3 years later for a regular working permit and visa to be able to come to Canada and stay for 2 years straight and then apply for his PR renewal and somehow try to explain his absence.

Thank you for you time.
No. As a PR, he is not eligible for ANY form of visa to enter Canada. This will not work.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What you have proposed won't work. As long as he still has PR status it will be impossible for him to obtain a work permit or visitor visa (the visas will be automatically refused). He will have to officially give up his PR status in order to qualify for a work permit or visitor visa. Once he has officially given up his PR status, then it will no longer be possible to renew his PR card because his PR status will be gone.

SISATAS

Sep 9, 2014
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. So does that mean that if he cant come to Canada and stay for 2 years before his PR card expires, he has to give up his PR completely and re-apply for everything again as a new applicant? Is there any way around to keep his PR status?

Thank you.

julies39

Jun 4, 2012
If he cannot be in Canada for 730 days out of the 5 years he gets as a PR he will lose his PR status and yes he will have to reapply for everything again from the beginning (if he is still eligible). There is no way around this.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. My understanding of the OPs question is to rephrase - "Can I live in Canada with an expired card if this expiry is before I have 730 days?"

2. You don't need a valid PR Card to live in Canada. Having a valid PR Card does make every day life easier for those processes/situations where you need to provide proof of status and the relevant business, employer, government department etc only accept a valid PR Card as proof of PR Status. While this is not a legal immigration requirement its a hard fight.

3. No you don't a valid PR card or to give up your PR status prior to the 730 days. If you enter Canada without being reported for breaching the RO (read this section of the forum where every second or so thread is about the breach) then stay under the CIC/CBSA/Law Enforcement radar by not travelling outside Canada, not applying for a PR Card/sponsoring anyone and stating out of legal problems. At day 731 apply for a new PR Card.