+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal Question (for J-exchange physician training)

andygill11

May 5, 2018
Hi Everyone, I am a J1- Exchange physician currently in the US for my medicine training. Health Canada provided a statement of need to the US stating that they need specialty trained physicians and that after completing my training, that can range from 3-6 years, I have to return to Canada for atleast 2 years, and this was the basis of my visa. Now because given the length of training and COVID border restrictions, I may not be able to meet the 2 year residency requirement for the PR renewal. Will I still be able to renew my PR given the statement of need from Health Canada and the requirement of my visa to go back to Canada to practice medcicine after training for atleast 2 years?

Thank you for your help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone, I am a J1- Exchange physician currently in the US for my medicine training. Health Canada provided a statement of need to the US stating that they need specialty trained physicians and that after completing my training, that can range from 3-6 years, I have to return to Canada for atleast 2 years, and this was the basis of my visa. Now because given the length of training and COVID border restrictions, I may not be able to meet the 2 year residency requirement for the PR renewal. Will I still be able to renew my PR given the statement of need from Health Canada and the requirement of my visa to go back to Canada to practice medcicine after training for atleast 2 years?

Thank you for your help!
There are a few exceptions where you are permitted to count time spent outside of Canada towards PR, however to the best of my knowledge this isn't one of them.

Based on what I know, the answer to your question is that you will still need to meet the residency requirement of physically living in Canada for 2 out of 5 years in order to meet the residency requirement and qualify to renew your PR card. The time you spend outside of Canada cannot be counted towards this.

The letter Health Canada gave you was to facilitate the visa to the US only.

This is what I believe. Definitely wait for others to respond.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you for your help!
Agree that the letter was to get the J1 and was a not a guarantee that you’d be able to return to Canada if you don’t meet your RO. What type of specialty are you being trained in? It looks like you landed in Canada in 2019. How much time have you spent in Canada since landing. Did you go to the US after not matching the 1st year? PR residency time is very lenient so that aren’t usually any exceptions. Are you married to a Canadian?