+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR obligations and COVID

yalgar

Oct 13, 2013
My 65+ year old parents, being on PR, were unable to travel last April 2020 due to travel restrictions imposed by Canada gov.t. The restrictions were later removed for PR holders but with surging cases, my parents could not arrange the travel considering the risk and also that their OHIP coverage expired.
Even though they still have 3 yrs left and around 19 months to cover, the high amount of risk in airline travel is holding them back.
Wondering if there are any relaxation of obligations announced or planned by the CIC?
Also, any alternative to OHIP on COVID coverage for PR holders arriving without valid OHIP?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My 65+ year old parents, being on PR, were unable to travel last April 2020 due to travel restrictions imposed by Canada gov.t. The restrictions were later removed for PR holders but with surging cases, my parents could not arrange the travel considering the risk and also that their OHIP coverage expired.
Even though they still have 3 yrs left and around 19 months to cover, the high amount of risk is holding them back.
Wondering if there are any relaxation of obligations announced or planned by the CIC?
Also, any alternative to OHIP on COVID coverage for PR holders arriving without valid OHIP?
No relaxation to the residency requirement has been announced. PRs have been free to travel to Canada for quite some time now.

OHIP wait times are currently waived due to COVID-19. They will qualify for OHIP as soon as they arrive. This exception was put in place many months ago.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Even though they still have 3 yrs left and around 19 months to cover, the high amount of risk in airline travel is holding them back.
Just saw that you posted that they only remained in Ontario for 155 days so never met the original OHIP requirements.