+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal through online application

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The current PR card will be valid for some time after the new one is issued. So no worries there. I think the validity is 60 days, but don't quote me on that..
Correct.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Important information: Upon issuance of a new PR card, your existing (or old) PR card will be invalid after 60 days following the date of issuance of the new card.

One example would be a PR that has applied to renew their card, that still has at least a few months (9 months left is when people can apply for a new card) before it expires and don't receive it within that 60 day window. Even though the expiry date on the old card hasn't passed, the old card would in fact be invalid.

louis_fr

Dec 9, 2022
Correct.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Important information: Upon issuance of a new PR card, your existing (or old) PR card will be invalid after 60 days following the date of issuance of the new card.

One example would be a PR that has applied to renew their card, that still has at least a few months (9 months left is when people can apply for a new card) before it expires and don't receive it within that 60 day window. Even though the expiry date on the old card hasn't passed, the old card would in fact be invalid.
Thanks for the response. Is the date on which status changes to approved is the new card issue date ? Where can I find the issue date to calculate the 60 day window?

Venkkrishy

Apr 8, 2017
What is your spouse’s status when you log in to the PR portal? Does it say “Submitted”?
My spouse has received the card. My Kid hasn't received it yet. As i said earlier, both were submitted within a 12hr period using same logon but as two applications.

Both status show it as Submitted. Till day, no correspondence, no communication, neither am i able to reach their call centre. It's exactly about 90days.

I'm not entirely sure, if should i now apply via a paper application mentioning about my over 90day wait period after submitting online....Does anyone know if that would be of any help?

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Submitted online on 23 November... No AOR.

A few days back, the status changed from "Submitted" to "Initiated". The "View" button on the right side was clickable so I clicked it. Big mistake. Now the status changed to "Submitted" again. Wtf???
From my understanding there is no AOR for renewals done with the portal. Can someone please clarify this?

sahibo

Star Member
Jun 7, 2022
My spouse has received the card. My Kid hasn't received it yet. As i said earlier, both were submitted within a 12hr period using same logon but as two applications.

Both status show it as Submitted. Till day, no correspondence, no communication, neither am i able to reach their call centre. It's exactly about 90days.

I'm not entirely sure, if should i now apply via a paper application mentioning about my over 90day wait period after submitting online....Does anyone know if that would be of any help?
The best way would be to call someone at IRCC first. Might need to call 10+ times, at different times.

shivam.bansal88

Star Member
Mar 16, 2016

kind of in the same boat but not completed 90 days. I submitted application on 28th Oct for my wife and myself through paper based system. i received my card within 15-17 days but hers is still in progress.

Dominica

Star Member
Feb 23, 2010
If application is submitted online, this is already in their queue, so I think we should just wait as the processing time for PR card renewal is 60 days. They won't bother responding to our enquiries before 60 days passed. What worry me is I'm traveling in November and want to ensure PR cards are renewed prior.
Hi I was wondering if you managed to get your PR card renewed online, appreciate if you can share your timeline. I applied in November,2022 but no updates till date, cannot understand whats going on.

harryp

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
My PR card expired earlier this year and I just met Residency Obligation of 730 days im wondering if its okay to send the renewal app and leave the country. is PRTD meant for this situation ? how long does it usually take for PRTD and would they have any concerns about PR renewal application still in process while applying for PRTD ?

paulo99

Dec 21, 2013
My PR card expired earlier this year and I just met Residency Obligation of 730 days im wondering if its okay to send the renewal app and leave the country. is PRTD meant for this situation ? how long does it usually take for PRTD and would they have any concerns about PR renewal application still in process while applying for PRTD ?
There is no problem having applied to renew your card and leaving Canada without a valid PR Card as you are still a PR of Canada. This does not cause problems as far as applying for a PRTD, it helps as you can explain you had to leave Canada but didn't receive your card in time. I would apply for a PRTD the day you arrive at whatever destination you are going to if you just going out of Canada for a few weeks.

Reactions: harryp

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Has anyone who applied to renew online in December been able to track their applications on ECAS or gckey?

skdubai

Nov 13, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to post on multiple threads, but I got no response on the other thread, so hope someone has some insight here..

I checked on my PR card renewal process on the pr portal today and there is a message under 'Return Reason' which says 'Photos are missing'. This is clearly BS because it wont let you submit unless you submit the photographs..

However, there is nothing I can do on the portal to resubmit the photos... Does this mean I need to resubmit the photograph using web form or just submit a new application?

If they do want me to resubmit the application, I will do it on paper this time.. Clearly the platform is not ready for use yet!

Reactions: Bhargavg2002

visitingprof

Star Member
Feb 25, 2015
Newfoundland
LANDED..........
PR since 2017

Hi. I applied for PR card renewal for myself and my two minor kids (13 and 17 years old) over the same online application portal (same account). The system accepted 3 applications. No problems with uploading pictures or any other issues whatsoever. Parent application with minor children via same account is possible, right? I see that you did the same. Have you received any update (such as AOR)? I received for each application (for all three, 3 messages) the following confirmation: "Permanent Residence Portal - The Permanent Resident Card process has been initiated for an application linked to your account". Does that mean everything is OK with the applications? I'd appreciate any feedback, information, clarification or experience from all members. Thank you all in advance.

visitingprof

Star Member
Feb 25, 2015
Newfoundland
LANDED..........
PR since 2017
Hi. I applied for PR card renewal for myself and my two minor kids (13 and 17 years old) over the same online application portal (same account). The system accepted 3 applications. No problems with uploading pictures or any other issues whatsoever. Parent application with minor children via same account is possible, right? I see that you did the same. Have you received any update (such as AOR)? I received for each application (for all three, 3 messages) the following confirmation: "Permanent Residence Portal - The Permanent Resident Card process has been initiated for an application linked to your account". Does that mean everything is OK with the applications? I'd appreciate any feedback, information, clarification or experience from all members. Thank you all in advance.

Hi you all,
Does anyone have any answers to my questions?
I would appreciate any help.
Thank you. And have a great day.