+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal - RO Met by Staying with a Canadian Citizen abroad

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
Dear All

My PR Card will shortly expire. I met the RO by staying with my Canadian Citizen wife abroad.
I have applied for renewal on 1st of June 2015.
Does anybody have any experience with renewing PR Cards in a similar situation.
Did this go smoothly or you faced any delays.

Thank you for your replies.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You shouldn't have any issues provided you included evidence to show you and your wife were cohabitating during this period.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Jerry1410 said:
Dear All

My PR Card will shortly expire. I met the RO by staying with my Canadian Citizen wife abroad.

I have had no personal experience in this. My observations are based on following the reported experiences of others, over the course of many years, including however CIC information reflecting a trend, over the years, for CIC to be more strict in applying and enforcing PR related conditions and obligations.

I concur in the observation by scylla that so long as you submitted proof of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation there should be no issue regarding compliance with the PR RO.

But there are potential pitfalls in these scenarios which warrant at least a word of caution, so I also offer the following, more detailed observations:

The instructions in the application are fairly straight-forward when read in conjunction with the part of the guide regarding the residency obligation, so if you followed those, that will suffice. To be clear, however, for proof of compliance based on accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse abroad, it is important to include:
-- proof of relationship (usually copy of marriage certificate)
-- proof of spouse's Canadian citizenship (usually copy of passport; could be copy of certificate of citizenship)
-- proof of cohabitation (technically proof of cohabitation for at least a duration sufficient to meet the PR RO . . . but of course showing cohabitation generally eliminates any questions about genuineness of the relationship)

So if you provided this proof, there should be no Residency Obligation issues.

But of course you must also meet the other eligibility requirements as well.

PRs Whose Primary Residence Continues To Be Abroad:

No idea if this is at all relevant to your situation.

If you have returned to live in Canada, and are living in Canada, IGNORE what follows.

As noted, the PR relying on the exception for accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse abroad must also meet the other eligibility requirements for a new PR card.

This includes applying from within Canada.

I mention this because those PRs who encounter problems while applying for a renewed/new PR card, and who are relying on the exception for accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse abroad, tend to be those who are in part playing games with CIC in an effort to obtain a new PR card despite not really living in Canada when they make the application for the new PR card -- this ranges from those PRs returning to Canada briefly for purposes of making the application and again later to obtain the PR card, to those who come to Canada and stay long enough to obtain the card. Obviously the latter are less likely to encounter problems than the former.

CIC appears to NOT be particularly strict in how it approaches PRs living with a Canadian citizen spouse (for good reason: they are valid, genuine PRs and should be afforded ready recognition as such), so this is not a problem encountered much by PRs who are genuinely at least staying in Canada when they apply to renew the PR card, and it is not always a problem even for those who are playing games a bit . . . but problems do arise when it is apparent, or when CIC perceives, there is any deception in the declaration of residential address, which happens with sufficient frequency there are somewhat regular reports (and unwarranted complaints) by surprised PRs running into secondary review or delays.

Thing is, many PRs living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse want a current PR card for convenience. In contrast, CIC's approach is that such PRs should rely on obtaining a PR TD for return trips to Canada.

The nature and extent of the problems encountered vary. For PRs whose application is entirely accurate, and the PR is in Canada to pick up the PR card if CIC requires a counter pick-up or an interview, the problems may be no more than some delay or a longer delay, such as that involved in going through secondary review although ultimately getting the new PR card. If, however, CIC perceives deception in the application (declaring a residential address where the PR does not really reside for example), obviously that can lead to more serious problems, ranging from rejecting the application to potential prosecution of consequences for making misrepresentations in an application to CIC.

Messi

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jerry1410 said:
Dear All

I had an experience like yours with my mum and sister, they both were living with my dad who is a Canadian for almost 3 years out side Canada and they came back last summer they both applied for the renewal and they got it with no issue.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
dpenabill said:
Thing is, many PRs living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse want a current PR card for convenience. In contrast, CIC's approach is that such PRs should rely on obtaining a PR TD for return trips to Canada.
But I don't understand what the benefit of having a PR card is if you live abroad and don't plan on coming back anytime soon. It's not like your PR card allows you to enter visa-free to other countries like a Canadian passport would. It is just a travel document to go to Canada. So what is the "convenience" part?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
keesio said:
But I don't understand what the benefit of having a PR card is if you live abroad and don't plan on coming back anytime soon. It's not like your PR card allows you to enter visa-free to other countries like a Canadian passport would. It is just a travel document to go to Canada. So what is the "convenience" part?
Other than the prospect of unplanned travel to Canada, plus that any travel to Canada such as for visits (which is common among those couples living abroad but whose primary ties are to Canada), is easier arranged with the PR card in possession (otherwise, for those without a visa exempt passport, a PR Travel Document has to be applied for), you are right, there is not much extra convenience, and it is thus more about a perceived convenience.

Nonetheless, the effort to obtain a new PR card by PRs living abroad is very common, including fudging where they are living at the time of applying for the card. The slight amount of convenience gained does not warrant taking risks with fudging the application . . . but again, this does not appear to discourage the many who will use a family member or friend's address to make the application, with plans to stay long enough to collect the new card or to return later to collect it.

Of course there are also those who have the impression they need to keep their PR card current in order to retain their PR status, who similarly are motivated to pursue renewal of the PR card even though they continue to actually remain residing abroad.

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
Dear All

Thank you for your replies. It is analytical and gives different perspectives on the issue.
Best regards.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
keesio said:
Primarily to facilitate re-entries to Canada for non visitor visa exempt passport holding nationals.