+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card renewal - Passport Pages

mach90

Jan 9, 2011
Dear All,

I had recently applied for my PR card renewal on an urgent basis. They have sent me a letter from CPC Nova Scotia asking me for the certified copies of

- all pages of my passport(s)
- personal immigration entry/exit record

Has anybody else had the same request, does this delay the process, will this result in an interview, refusal?

Can anyone describe their interview experience?

All help would be greatly appreciated

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mach90 said:
Dear All,

I had recently applied for my PR card renewal on an urgent basis. They have sent me a letter from CPC Nova Scotia asking me for the certified copies of

- all pages of my passport(s)
- personal immigration entry/exit record

Has anybody else had the same request, does this delay the process, will this result in an interview, refusal?

Can anyone describe their interview experience?

All help would be greatly appreciated
Once CIC has the information from you they will determine if you meet the residency requirements. If you don't, it will cause a delay, and interview.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I think the personal immigration record is what the PR has as recordings of their comings and goings from Canada. For me it's an Excel sheet with a sample of the listings shown below.

Dates Destination Number of Days out of Canada Accompanying CAN Citizen Purpose

12/24/09-01/07/2010 CHS, SC, USA 13 yes family visit Christmas
1/25/2010-1/31-2010 CAE, SC, USA 5 no family funeral
9/10/2010-9/19/2010 BES, France 8 yes family celebration - Annie

C2008

Jul 9, 2008
AllisonVSC said:
I think the personal immigration record is what the PR has as recordings of their comings and goings from Canada. For me it's an Excel sheet with a sample of the listings shown below.

Dates Destination Number of Days out of Canada Accompanying CAN Citizen Purpose

12/24/09-01/07/2010 CHS, SC, USA 13 yes family visit Christmas
1/25/2010-1/31-2010 CAE, SC, USA 5 no family funeral
9/10/2010-9/19/2010 BES, France 8 yes family celebration - Annie
Hi AllisonVSC,
Where exactly you got that excel sheet from?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
C2008 -

This is AllisonVSC's personal spreadsheet (i.e. how she has chosen to record her travel). My husband has a similar one in Excel as well which he updates as he travels to make sure he has a record of all of his travels and the specific dates involved.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
scylla said:
C2008 -

This is AllisonVSC's personal spreadsheet (i.e. how she has chosen to record her travel). My husband has a similar one in Excel as well which he updates as he travels to make sure he has a record of all of his travels and the specific dates involved.
thanks scylla. You are correct. I started this Excel sheet after I found this folder on the forum. I had no idea that I would need to keep track of my comings and goings. No way would I be able to re-create this when I need to renew my PR card years from now!

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
AllisonVSC said:
thanks scylla. You are correct. I started this Excel sheet after I found this folder on the forum. I had no idea that I would need to keep track of my comings and goings. No way would I be able to re-create this when I need to renew my PR card years from now!
Hi Allison:
An Excel spreadsheet is an excellent way to stay organized. What documentation do you keep to corroborate the Excel record, please?

niktin

Jun 21, 2010
Dear all,

I have the same issue.I got a similar letter today asking for the same details.While I will be sending out the supporting papers tomorrow I foresee a problem.Out of the 7-8 trips that i have made back and forth only 3 entries are stamped in the passport and rest are missing.I discovered this only recently when I was looking for the exact dates to put in the application.While I managed to get the exact dates looking at the departure stamps my concern is how they do I prove my entry for those dates to CIC.

Has anyone come across or heard of a situation like this and if so how will CIC treat this situation ? I plan to travel on the 10th May and am really worried that my PR card will not be processed on time due to this situation.

Appreciate feedback/views that anyone can give.

Thanks in advance..

niktin

Jun 21, 2010
I have the same issue.I got a similar letter today asking for the same details.While I will be sending out the supporting papers tomorrow I foresee a problem.Out of the 7-8 trips that i have made back and forth only 3 entries are stamped in the passport and rest are missing.I discovered this only recently when I was looking for the exact dates to put in the application.While I managed to get the exact dates looking at the departure stamps my concern is how they do I prove my entry for those dates to CIC.

Has anyone come across or heard of a situation like this and if so how will CIC treat this situation ? I plan to travel on the 10th May and am really worried that my PR card will not be processed on time due to this situation.

Appreciate feedback/views that anyone can give.

Thanks in advance..

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
toby said:
Hi Allison:
An Excel spreadsheet is an excellent way to stay organized. What documentation do you keep to corroborate the Excel record, please?
Toby, I didn't think of this myself; I think I got the idea from a post in this folder! The Excel document is just to help me keep track of travel dates and whether or not I was traveling with my citizen sponsor. I have kept some (but not all) of my boarding passes but they don't have a year on them...only month and day. I have printed some itineraries (like from Travelocity) as well, and I have my passport stamps.

Mostly what I am keeping is proof that I am living (but not yet working) here, not proof that I was out of the country. So in a file I have a copy of our lease (our utilities are included in rent so I don't have those, but you might), bank and credit card statements, cell phone bills, medical records, and I will keep tax returns. I attended school so I have payment receipts, report card copies, documentation of a work internship.

I would love to know what others are keeping in terms of documentation.
Allison

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
AllisonVSC said:
Let me try to play the role of the VO, looking for incontrovertible proof of time spent in Canada. Evidence produced by a third party is more persuasive than the evidence the PR applicant can produce, obviously.

Toby, I didn't think of this myself; I think I got the idea from a post in this folder! The Excel document is just to help me keep track of travel dates and whether or not I was traveling with my citizen sponsor.

Good idea; I do the same; it is not evidence, but will help a VO understand the mass of documentation, and reach a positive conclusion about your time spent in Canada. A bottle of Scotch might do the same, but is not allowed.

I have kept some (but not all) of my boarding passes but they don't have a year on them...only month and day. In your Excel guide, you could correlate the boarding passes with passport stamps, which do have the year, and no reasonable VO would have doubts.

I have printed some itineraries (like from Travelocity) as well, and I have my passport stamps. I wouldn't bother with the itineraries; anyone can produce these, ad they will add unnecessary bulk to your renewal application.

Mostly what I am keeping is proof that I am living (but not yet working) here, not proof that I was out of the country. Right. So in a file I have a copy of our lease Good. And maybe a certified letter from the landlord that you actually live in the place. (our utilities are included in rent so I don't have those, but you might), bank and credit card statements (I am told these are not convincing, since any transaction can be done from outside the country., cell phone bills, (very good evidence, since they show calls made from within Canada) medical records (if you mean dated visits to the doctor, great.), and I will keep tax returns (not so useful; can be submitted from outside Canada, and if they don't show income from in-Canada employment, they don't show time spent in Canada) . I attended school so I have payment receipts, report card copies, documentation of a work internship. This is excellent evidence, and I doubt you'll need anything additional.

I would love to know what others are keeping in terms of documentation.
Allison

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Hi Toby,

Thanks for the feedback. My impression from reading this folder of the forum is that they only closely scrutinize those applicants for PR renewal who have questionable/little evidence of living in Canada or who have sound evidence of having been away for extended periods ... that for the rest of PR renewal apps (those with no red flags) it is a sort of standard procedure to accept the application and evidence as presented and renew the card.

As for the boarding passes and passport stamps, I can match those up for travels to Europe when my partner and I go to visit his family. But when I go to visit mine in the US (which is much more frequent) my flights originate from Buffalo so when I cross the border by car I don't get a stamp. We are considering applying for Nexus cards and if accepted, this will be additional evidence of my comings and goings by car and of my leaving by plane from Pearson (not sure if one can use it coming back) but I'll have a passport stamp so I am not concerned.

"Bank and credit card statements (I am told these are not convincing, since any transaction can be done from outside the country)." I see your point Toby, but I use my debit card for almost every purchase (and my credit card for occasional purchases to build a credit history). So while these can be used from outside the country, a weekly pattern of purchases from my local grocery chain, gas station, LCBO and the occasional restaurant would more likely be viewed as evidence of living in the country, don't you think?

Allison

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
AllisonVSC said:
Hi Toby,

Thanks for the feedback. My impression from reading this folder of the forum is that they only closely scrutinize those applicants for PR renewal who have questionable/little evidence of living in Canada or who have sound evidence of having been away for extended periods ... that for the rest of PR renewal apps (those with no red flags) it is a sort of standard procedure to accept the application and evidence as presented and renew the card.

As for the boarding passes and passport stamps, I can match those up for travels to Europe when my partner and I go to visit his family. But when I go to visit mine in the US (which is much more frequent) my flights originate from Buffalo so when I cross the border by car I don't get a stamp. We are considering applying for Nexus cards and if accepted, this will be additional evidence of my comings and goings by car and of my leaving by plane from Pearson (not sure if one can use it coming back) but I'll have a passport stamp so I am not concerned.

It just occurred to me that if you say you were out of Canada (e.g. visiting family in the USA) for x days, and Canada has no official record of that time, the VO MUST believe you. You are volunteering information (and voluntarily reducing your days in Canada) that CIC cannot refute. CIC could not reasonably say "OK, we didn't know you left Canada for 2 weeks, so thanks for that information. Now, prove to us it wasn't longer."

"Bank and credit card statements (I am told these are not convincing, since any transaction can be done from outside the country)." I see your point Toby, but I use my debit card for almost every purchase (and my credit card for occasional purchases to build a credit history). So while these can be used from outside the country, a weekly pattern of purchases from my local grocery chain, gas station, LCBO and the occasional restaurant would more likely be viewed as evidence of living in the country, don't you think?

If the bank statements show the addresses of these debit and credit-card purchases, I agree with you. If not, then save the receipts showing date and location of the store. That would be incontrovertible evidence.

But here is an easier method. If your husband is a Canadian citizen, just show that you were with him and you can count ALL days toward your PR quota -- no matter whether those days were in our outside Canada.

I say "just show", as if that were easy, but that requires its own type of proof. A different topic.

Allison