+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal & New - 2022 Processing Timeline

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
My PR renewal finally got approved
> We mailed your permanent resident card to you. Your card can take up to six weeks to arrive.

Applied February 28, 4.5 months wait + up to 6 weeks more. Might end up being a total of 6 months, if it even arrives at all.
There were no updates to the application in my IRCC account between when I linked it and now. I suspect it was just dormant. No amount of calls made it move.

tk785

May 24, 2021
> We mailed your permanent resident card to you. Your card can take up to six weeks to arrive.

Applied February 28, 4.5 months wait + up to 6 weeks more. Might end up being a total of 6 months, if it even arrives at all.
There were no updates to the application in my IRCC account between when I linked it and now. I suspect it was just dormant. No amount of calls made it move.
This is worrying. Was this your first card or a renewal? and was it an online application? I did my renewal in April 6th via online, I called the IRCC and all they can tell me is the application is in progress but I still can't link it. I'm getting worried as I have to travel back to England next month and I'm going to be stuck there longer than expected if it takes half a year to recieve...

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
This is worrying. Was this your first card or a renewal? and was it an online application? I did my renewal in April 6th via online, I called the IRCC and all they can tell me is the application is in progress but I still can't link it. I'm getting worried as I have to travel back to England next month and I'm going to be stuck there longer than expected if it takes half a year to recieve...
Renewal, online application.

I was able to connect the application to my IRCC account using application number that I got from IRCC phone line in April, but the status stayed "submitted" until it changed to "approved" today.
In the list of applications, it states that the submitted date is April 28 (when I tied the application to my account), and on the application page the date recieved has changed to March 1 now (it was mid-April until today). In the portal where I submitted the application the status is still "submitted".
So, it is possible that IRCC is very confused about when they received the application, and when they should be working on it. But discussing it with agents on the phone was completely useless. They don't know anything and cannot help in any way. Webforms also didn't do anything.

I recently started mandamus for my citizenship application, and the issue of a delayed PR renewal was mentioned in it. So, maybe this finally made them look at it, not sure. The second stage of mandamus mentioning pr renewal delay was officially filed about a week ago.

You have an option of applying for PRTD from the UK, but that may also take several months. There may be some urgent processing options though.
You probably should also look into urgent processing for PR renewal as well, but they won't do it if you travel in less than 3 weeks.
Another option, if you're allowed to enter the US (have a visa, or don't need one) you can enter Canada through land border with an expired card.

Reactions: tk785

nniyyyg

Star Member
Sep 13, 2017

I submit online on Feb 17 and just got approved, nearly 5 months. I have citizenship application as well, I feel like if you have applied citizenship, it will delay the application, because if your citizenship approved, they can cancel your renew

tk785

May 24, 2021
Renewal, online application.

I was able to connect the application to my IRCC account using application number that I got from IRCC phone line in April, but the status stayed "submitted" until it changed to "approved" today.
In the list of applications, it states that the submitted date is April 28 (when I tied the application to my account), and on the application page the date recieved has changed to March 1 now (it was mid-April until today). In the portal where I submitted the application the status is still "submitted".
So, it is possible that IRCC is very confused about when they received the application, and when they should be working on it. But discussing it with agents on the phone was completely useless. They don't know anything and cannot help in any way. Webforms also didn't do anything.

I recently started mandamus for my citizenship application, and the issue of a delayed PR renewal was mentioned in it. So, maybe this finally made them look at it, not sure. The second stage of mandamus mentioning pr renewal delay was officially filed about a week ago.

You have an option of applying for PRTD from the UK, but that may also take several months. There may be some urgent processing options though.
You probably should also look into urgent processing for PR renewal as well, but they won't do it if you travel in less than 3 weeks.
Another option, if you're allowed to enter the US (have a visa, or don't need one) you can enter Canada through land border with an expired card.
Thanks for sharing, I'm considering making an urgent request but I imagine I'd have to start my application process again and wouldn't that also cancel my current application? Maybe I could just enter Canada from the US, although I don't know how that would work as I don't drive or know anyone who can travel me through a landborder from the US to Canada. This whole process has been such a nightmare, why is this country so unorganised and inefficient with processing documents for people who have spent a chunk of their life in a country where they're supposed to be rewarded with permanent stay? I've been here for over 2 years now without the opportunity to leave and yet they can't process an application in a timely manner at all. Perhaps I'll just stay in England lol

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
I submit online on Feb 17 and just got approved, nearly 5 months. I have citizenship application as well, I feel like if you have applied citizenship, it will delay the application, because if your citizenship approved, they can cancel your renew
My guess is a very large portion of people renewing PR cards have a citizenship application in progress that is overdue, that's why they have to renew the card. So, I doubt that this matter much. My citizenship application was completely dead for 15 months until I started mandamus, so I don't think they were planning to finalize it this year.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Thanks for sharing, I'm considering making an urgent request but I imagine I'd have to start my application process again and wouldn't that also cancel my current application? Maybe I could just enter Canada from the US, although I don't know how that would work as I don't drive or know anyone who can travel me through a landborder from the US to Canada. This whole process has been such a nightmare, why is this country so unorganised and inefficient with processing documents for people who have spent a chunk of their life in a country where they're supposed to be rewarded with permanent stay? I've been here for over 2 years now without the opportunity to leave and yet they can't process an application in a timely manner at all. Perhaps I'll just stay in England lol
If they already received your PR renewal application, and issued a number, I think you're supposed to send a webform for urgent processing. Check PR card renewal urgent processing on their website, they should have detailed instructions for eligibility and the process.

Reactions: tk785

sidroy09

Jul 26, 2013
Submitted my PR Card renewal application online on June 8, 2023. As per online processing time, it should take ~ 3 months. After looking at this forum, seems like its gonna take much longer.
By that time, I will be able to submit my citizenship app.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Submitted my PR Card renewal application online on June 8, 2023. As per online processing time, it should take ~ 3 months. After looking at this forum, seems like its gonna take much longer.
By that time, I will be able to submit my citizenship app.
It's fairly unpredictable, you might get it in the mail in 6 weeks, even without ever getting an AOR or any updates on your application.

• Wow
Reactions: sidroy09

samjel

Jul 17, 2023
Hello Guys,
i often read you PR Cards are delivered with no confirmation whats so ever.

My Application was received on May 3rd
Still no AOR but I managed to link my application to IRCC GCkey (Showing Application in progess)
From the timeline some already got their pr cards. Wanted to leave on last Saturday could also leave this weekend. But if it comes next friday its too late.
Watching my mail every day :(

Did anyone has urgency requested like me?

do_not_reply

Jun 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Guys,

Still no AOR but I managed to link my application to IRCC GCkey (Showing Application in progess)
From the timeline some already got their pr cards. Wanted to leave on last Saturday could also leave this weekend. But if it comes next friday its too late.

It is actually BS - I applied in Mar late under urgent and got returned as due to photo back did not have proper info , took another photo with another studio info and applied same day on June 5th under urgent, no info till now. Guess what when I called , lady says oh we don't have any thing in our system with your application , we are currently processing Apr 20th application. I said is there any concept called "Urgent" ? , she said "nope" and I asked her 3 times.

• Angry
Reactions: sidroy09

legaltrr

Star Member
Jan 18, 2023
It is actually BS - I applied in Mar late under urgent and got returned as due to photo back did not have proper info , took another photo with another studio info and applied same day on June 5th under urgent, no info till now. Guess what when I called , lady says oh we don't have any thing in our system with your application , we are currently processing Apr 20th application. I said is there any concept called "Urgent" ? , she said "nope" and I asked her 3 times.
what reason you gave for urgent application

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Hello Guys,

From what I understand, if you plan on leaving in less than 3 weeks, they won't do PR renewal urgent processing, and will tell you to apply for PRTD from the country you're traveling to. Nobody could tell me how long PRTD takes, it probably depends on the country. I saw someone on this forum stuck somewhere in europe for 3 months with no updates to their PRTD application, so that is not very convenient if you need to return to Canada in less than a few months.

Though it probably won't hurt to call and ask if it is possible to hurry it up.