May 31, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
LANDED..........
hello all,
Again back after 5 years .. lol
so i am going to apply for my PR renewal Application tomorrow.
just few quick things to double check.
1. All pages of Passport photocopy need to be attested?
2. other supporting documents including my family passport, marriage certificate etc need to be translated or i just copy and send?
And PR renewal form imm5444, supplementary identification form,primary and secondary identity documents ,2 photos, fee and additional documents.
thats it? right?
also do i need to staple all papers or just send them open.

Thanks for help as always. :)
CHeers

jiyamano

May 31, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
LANDED..........
Any one ... :(

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No need to be attested just copies of all pages of passport.if any document you are sending with application is in other than English you have to send Translated in English.

jiyamano

May 31, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
LANDED..........
Hello
Thanks a lot for reply.
i have few stamps in my passport not in english.
i have already translated them and get it singed by translator.

Do i need any kind of affidavit by translator?
well i am accompanying my spouse out side canada so i have use these stamps as a proof that i was outside canada with my spouse.

THANKS

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
jiyamano said:
Hello
Thanks a lot for reply.
i have few stamps in my passport not in english.
i have already translated them and get it singed by translator.

Do i need any kind of affidavit by translator?
well i am accompanying my spouse out side canada so i have use these stamps as a proof that i was outside canada with my spouse.

THANKS
The instructions are very clear.

see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#5445E4

I could easily repeat what the instructions say here, but anyone completing the application really needs to carefully and thoroughly read AND FOLLOW the instructions for himself or herself.

Hint: yes, an affidavit is needed. And yes, the copy of the document translated must be CERTIFIED.

By the way: Regarding this "i am accompanying my spouse out side canada . . ."

Just a heads-up if you are not actually now settled and residing in Canada.

If you are not actually living in Canada, better to not apply for a PR card. Sure, you can come to Canada and while visiting make the application, but you need to be fully upfront and honest about your actual residential address and unless you come to Canada to stay, or you make the really stupid mistake of fudging the information about where you really live, IRCC is not going to process the application unless and until you return to Canada. I realize many skirt the technicalities regarding this. Among whom many succeed. Beware, however, both the level of scrutiny and strictness of enforcement, including as to making misrepresentations, continues to trend upward.

Your continued status as a PR would not be affected by not renewing the PR card.

Obtaining a PR Travel Document for trips to Canada is, yes, an inconvenience. But that is what IRCC expects PRs living abroad accompanying a citizen spouse to do.

Let me add: the actual extent the rules and instructions are enforced varies. So many can and will report they have not done this or that, and it was no problem. Indeed, in my citizenship application I did not provide a translation of some passport stamps which were not in English or French, and the interviewer barely glanced at those stamps, and two days later I took the oath and became a citizen.

I could easily explain the rationalization for not bothering to get a certified copy of my passport, not bothering to have those stamps translated. But that would be entirely beside the point. It was a particularly personal judgment based on a well-informed understanding of the rules, instructions, and risks given the practicalities of the process (well that and I was caught off guard by very short notice of being scheduled for the interview and oath much sooner than anticipated).

The easiest and the safest approach is to simply follow the rules and instructions. But sure there are times when it is relatively sensible to not so strictly abide by the technicalities.

Like driving a little over the speed limit on a dry, open highway in light traffic. Which is what most of us do much if not most of the time. BUT it would be imprudent to suggest, let alone definitively advise, that because of this experience it is OK to assume the speed limit can or should be ignored.

In any event, the instruction is explicitly that information or documentation in a non-official language must be accompanied by a certified copy of the document and a translation supported by the translator's affidavit, and is also subject to other specific instructions about who can do the translation.

jiyamano

May 31, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
LANDED..........
dpenabill said:
The instructions are very clear.

see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#5445E4

I could easily repeat what the instructions say here, but anyone completing the application really needs to carefully and thoroughly read AND FOLLOW the instructions for himself or herself.

Hint: yes, an affidavit is needed. And yes, the copy of the document translated must be CERTIFIED.

By the way: Regarding this "i am accompanying my spouse out side canada . . ."

Just a heads-up if you are not actually now settled and residing in Canada.

If you are not actually living in Canada, better to not apply for a PR card. Sure, you can come to Canada and while visiting make the application, but you need to be fully upfront and honest about your actual residential address and unless you come to Canada to stay, or you make the really stupid mistake of fudging the information about where you really live, IRCC is not going to process the application unless and until you return to Canada. I realize many skirt the technicalities regarding this. Among whom many succeed. Beware, however, both the level of scrutiny and strictness of enforcement, including as to making misrepresentations, continues to trend upward.

Your continued status as a PR would not be affected by not renewing the PR card.

Obtaining a PR Travel Document for trips to Canada is, yes, an inconvenience. But that is what IRCC expects PRs living abroad accompanying a citizen spouse to do.

Let me add: the actual extent the rules and instructions are enforced varies. So many can and will report they have not done this or that, and it was no problem. Indeed, in my citizenship application I did not provide a translation of some passport stamps which were not in English or French, and the interviewer barely glanced at those stamps, and two days later I took the oath and became a citizen.

I could easily explain the rationalization for not bothering to get a certified copy of my passport, not bothering to have those stamps translated. But that would be entirely beside the point. It was a particularly personal judgment based on a well-informed understanding of the rules, instructions, and risks given the practicalities of the process (well that and I was caught off guard by very short notice of being scheduled for the interview and oath much sooner than anticipated).

The easiest and the safest approach is to simply follow the rules and instructions. But sure there are times when it is relatively sensible to not so strictly abide by the technicalities.

Like driving a little over the speed limit on a dry, open highway in light traffic. Which is what most of us do much if not most of the time. BUT it would be imprudent to suggest, let alone definitively advise, that because of this experience it is OK to assume the speed limit can or should be ignored.

In any event, the instruction is explicitly that information or documentation in a non-official language must be accompanied by a certified copy of the document and a translation supported by the translator's affidavit, and is also subject to other specific instructions about who can do the translation.

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I got all my required translations done by an administrative lawyer with his affidavit.
Do i still need to get it certified from Notary Public?

Please help

Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
jiyamano said:
Thanks for your detailed explanation. I got all my required translations done by an administrative lawyer with his affidavit.
Do i still need to get it certified from Notary Public?

Please help

Thanks
I linked the instructions. Read them carefully. Follow them.

Without revisiting the instructions myself, it warrants noting that they specifically state the copy of the document must be certified. That's what the instructions state.

But of course one can wonder what good a certified copy will do after the document has already been translated. I am fairly sure that the object of the certified copy is so the translator can verify, in the translator's affidavit, that the translation is a true and correct translation, in turn, of a true and correct copy of the document . . . which is what the certification does: it verifies the copy is a true and correct copy.

Also without revisiting older information about translations, my recollection is that it makes a difference if the translator is a . . . I forget what the title or label is, but essentially a certified translator. The certified or official translators typically (at least as to some documents, at least in the past) did not have to complete the same affidavit as a translator who is not certified or an official translator. I do not know if this distinction or policy is still applicable.

Moreover, as I noted previously, this is not a requirement which is necessarily strictly enforced. It is not a material requirement after all. It is an administrative requirement. How IRCC approaches these is probably a matter of reasonableness.

The safe thing to do is to follow the instructions. The safe approach is almost always to simply follow the instructions.

But the information being translated itself can be more or less significant, depending on how much there is to be translated, and depending on the language itself -- for example, a failure to provide a translation meeting the technical requirements for a few words in a Western European language like Spanish or Italian or German, found in a stamp in a passport and readily understood in context without a translation, should be no big deal. On the other hand, if there is a complex visa containing language written in a script other than the Roman alphabet, strict compliance with the technicalities is more likely to be required.

Again, the safe thing to do is go to the guide, which I linked previously and which is otherwise easy to find and which, after all, is the primary source you should be using to answer such questions, and follow those instructions as best you understand them . . . more or less as strictly as you feel you need to do given the content being translated. (Many times passport translations do not need to be so strictly compliant with the technicalities, but I hesitate to emphasize this because sometimes they do, and again the safest thing is to follow the instructions. Beyond that, one can exercise one's own best judgment. As I said, I went to my citizenship interview without translating stamps in my passport, and there was no problem . . . but there were only a few stamps, with very few words, all written in a Western European language, all easily understood in context.)