+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal- able to postpone trip to Canada?

ConfuciusYve

Jan 25, 2015
Hi,

I am currently living in Germany, waiting for my permanent resident card renewal to be processed. I sent off the application form for a renewal back in August 2014, and the current processing time is around 160 days, so it should be ready for me to pick up relatively soon.

When I sent off my application form for a renewal, I had just made the minimum requirement (730 days in 5 five years), so technically right now I don´t meet the residency obligation.

I have a temporary travel document which is valid until the 28. February 2015, which will allow me to enter Canada and pick up my new permanent resident card.

My first question is, if for some reason the processing of my card takes longer, or I cannot fly to Canada before the
28. February, is it possible to enter Canada as a "Visitor" (I would have proof of my return flight to Germany) to pick up my card and then return to Germany? As I don´t meet the residency obligation right now, I can´t apply for another travel document.

My second question is, when I have my new permanent resident card, am I able to stay in Germany as long as I return to Canada for a two year minimum stay within the NEW expiration date period on the card?

I would appreciate any feedback! Haven´t been able to get a hold of anyone at the visa offices in Germany and the CIC Website is beyond me...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ConfuciusYve said:
I have a temporary travel document which is valid until the 28. February 2015, which will allow me to enter Canada and pick up my new permanent resident card.

My first question is, if for some reason the processing of my card takes longer, or I cannot fly to Canada before the
28. February, is it possible to enter Canada as a "Visitor" (I would have proof of my return flight to Germany) to pick up my card and then return to Germany? As I don´t meet the residency obligation right now, I can´t apply for another travel document.
Yes - you can certainly try entering Canada on your passport (assuming you are visa exempt). If you don't meet the residency requirement there is always some small chance you could be reported for failing to meet the residency requirement.

ConfuciusYve said:
My second question is, when I have my new permanent resident card, am I able to stay in Germany as long as I return to Canada for a two year minimum stay within the NEW expiration date period on the card?
No - that's not how it works. The residency obligation is not tied to the PR card expiration - it's a rolling requirement. This means that at any given time you must be able to look back at the previous 5 years and meet the residency requirement.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
ConfuciusYve said:
Hi,

I am currently living in Germany, waiting for my permanent resident card renewal to be processed. I sent off the application form for a renewal back in August 2014, and the current processing time is around 160 days, so it should be ready for me to pick up relatively soon.

When I sent off my application form for a renewal, I had just made the minimum requirement (730 days in 5 five years), so technically right now I don´t meet the residency obligation.

I would appreciate any feedback! Haven´t been able to get a hold of anyone at the visa offices in Germany and the CIC Website is beyond me...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
You are playing RO roulette. Good luck and hope it lands on black .....

Canvan003

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Come to Canada and live here or surrender the PR if you want to go back. You can enter anyway (as you are from visa exempt country).

Atleast stay loyal to one country. Don't take Canadian PR for granted.