+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card expired 6 years ago

Pinkwinter

Jan 14, 2015
Hello,

My PR card expired 6 years ago, I never travelled outside of Canada since I landed, but I never renewed my card. Anyone knows what will happen if I renew it now, any consequences (legal consequences)? Can I lose my permanent residency?

I want to renew it now but I am uncertain of the conséquences. Thank you in advance for your advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You should have absolutely no issues renewing your PR card. You definitely meet the residency requirement for keeping your PR status.

Pinkwinter

Jan 14, 2015
Thank you for the response.

Should I apply for citizenship instead of renewal of my PR card? or should I renew my PR card and then apply for citizenship?

Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pinkwinter said:

Should I apply for citizenship instead of renewal of my PR card? or should I renew my PR card and then apply for citizenship?

Thank you.
It does not matter. The two applications are unrelated and separate. If you think you might want to travel in the near future, you might want to renew your PR card because it will be faster than getting your citizenship processed.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Pinkwinter said:

Thank you.
I see it differently..why not become a citizen and get the right to vote. It sucks to pay taxes, but having no say in anything.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polara69 said:
I see it differently..why not become a citizen and get the right to vote. It sucks to pay taxes, but having no say in anything.
Again immigration and tax are separate and unrelated issues. One can be a citizen without paying Canadian taxes.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
What I mean is.. I live in Canada full time because this is my home, may as well become a citizen and participate fully and have a say in all topics, including voting.

Remaining PR only means I have to contribute, but I have no say. Cannot elect my city council or mayor etc etc

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
polara69 said:
What I mean is.. I live in Canada full time because this is my home, may as well become a citizen and participate fully and have a say in all topics, including voting.

Remaining PR only means I have to contribute, but I have no say. Cannot elect my city council or mayor etc etc
Yeah, this make perfect sense. Also, whether you plan to live permanently in Canada or not, your citizenship cannot be revoked if you spend too much time outside of Canada. So that removes any uncertainty that comes with residency obligation.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ZingyDNA said:
Yeah, this make perfect sense. Also, whether you plan to live permanently in Canada or not, your citizenship cannot be revoked if you spend too much time outside of Canada. So that removes any uncertainty that comes with residency obligation.
Some people are also citizens of countries that do not allow dual citizenship, meaning they would have to give up their original citizenship if they became Canadian. And there may be some reasons they do not want to cancel their original citizenship i.e. could be for getting certain benefits from that country's government, or to pass on certain privileges to their children as citizens

So for many it makes more sense to simply keep extending their Canadian PR status all their life, while maintaining citizenship of another country.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Rob_TO said:
Some people are also citizens of countries that do not allow dual citizenship, meaning they would have to give up their original citizenship if they became Canadian. And there may be some reasons they do not want to cancel their original citizenship i.e. could be for getting certain benefits from that country's government, or to pass on certain privileges to their children as citizens

So for many it makes more sense to simply keep extending their Canadian PR status all their life, while maintaining citizenship of another country.
You are absolutely correct.. I can only speak for myself in this matter.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Rob_TO said:

Well, this is also a point especially for immigrants from countries that are nearly as good as Canada, like Korea or Japan...

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ZingyDNA said:
Well, this is also a point especially for immigrants from countries that are nearly as good as Canada, like Korea or Japan...
Yes of course... and there are many pros and cons to weigh in deciding.

Living as a PR all your life you would need to go through annoyance of re-applying for PR card every 5 years, maintaining residency obligation, not being allowed to vote, not being allowed to apply for certain jobs requiring a Canadian passport or citizenship (I think some govt jobs and perhaps airlines?), and having your PR subject to revocation at any time in case you get into trouble with the law.