+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card expired 3 years ago...

Atheist9

Star Member
Nov 11, 2017
Dear All,

I have an urgent query.. my PR card (including all family members as well) expired 3 years ago, we never left Canada since landing as PRs and we never felt any need to renew ( we had forgot actually).

Can we renew our PR Cards now? As these were expired 3 yrs ago, can that cause any issues in PR. Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks. God Bless!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
It's fine, you can renew PR cards anytime you want as long as you're in compliance with the residency obligation.

You probably also qualified for citizenship a long time ago.

R

rish888

As you have been living in Canada for 8 years you can renew your PR cards as Rob_TO said without issue.

Also send in an application for citizenship while you are at it. The residency requirement for citizenship is 3 years. (Which you have clearly met)

Atheist9

Star Member
Nov 11, 2017
Thanks Rob_To and rish888 for your input. It helps.

I will apply. I believe it will take time to renew cards and Citizenship as well, just in case of any emergency can I leave Canada and re-enter (short period - 1-3 weeks), hope there will not be any issue in that ( specifically when PR card is expired). Or is there any alternative way, can it jeopardize my overall PR Status in Canada. Please advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I will apply. I believe it will take time to renew cards and Citizenship as well, just in case of any emergency can I leave Canada and re-enter (short period - 1-3 weeks), hope there will not be any issue in that ( specifically when PR card is expired). Or is there any alternative way, can it jeopardize my overall PR Status in Canada. Please advise.
You can leave Canada without a valid PR card - however returning is a different matter. You need either a valid PR card or PR Travel Document to return to Canada on a flight. (The PR Travel Document is something you can only apply for once you are outside of Canada.) It's not a good idea to be without a valid PR card, I would renew yours as soon as you can.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Without a PR card there are only 2 ways you can travel outside Canada.
1. Apply for a PR Travel Document in the country you're visiting, to fly back to Canada
2. Travel back to Canada via USA land border

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
Dear All,

I have an urgent query.. my PR card (including all family members as well) expired 3 years ago, we never left Canada since landing as PRs and we never felt any need to renew ( we had forgot actually).

Can we renew our PR Cards now? As these were expired 3 yrs ago, can that cause any issues in PR. Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks. God Bless!
Hi
Atheist 9
Just wanted to know if you had a success on this renewing your pr cards 3 years expired?
I am in the same boat now and kinda thinking of renewing pr cards or just go for citizenship.

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
Dear All,

Thanks. God Bless!
Pls help need advice

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Noted thanks
What would you suggest?
A permanent residence card is a travel document. Nothing more, nothing less. It does not add or take away from your status in Canada. If you have no plans of traveling internationally by plane, leave it. Or my recommendation is to apply for citizenship. Problem solved.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
A permanent residence card is a travel document. Nothing more, nothing less. It does not add or take away from your status in Canada. If you have no plans of traveling internationally by plane, leave it. Or my recommendation is to apply for citizenship. Problem solved.
I agree with the gist of your post, which I understand to say that there is no need to have a valid PR card except for flying to Canada from outside Canada, and more particularly that a PR's status is not affected by the expiration of their PR card or otherwise affected by not having a valid PR card. While @Pitaklan's posts do not clearly indicate the history, the references to the "last time i renew my pr card" in other topics, in conjunction to inquiring about PRs with long expired PR cards, it appears @Pitaklan likely understands this.

To be clear, however, the PR card is NOT a travel document. The PR card is a status card. The PR card merely documents the individual's status as a Canadian, a Canadian PR, in contrast to non-Canadians who are referred to as "Foreign Nationals" in most formal immigration contexts. A PR nonetheless retains their PR status whether or not they have a valid status card (valid PR card) to show their status as a Canadian PR.

It is a necessary status document to present in addition to a valid travel document (typically home country passport) for most PRs (nearly all who are not U.S. citizens) traveling to Canada by commercial air from outside Canada.

What would you suggest?
For what? It appears your question is whether you should apply for a new PR card or apply for citizenship.

I am . . . kinda thinking of renewing pr cards or just go for citizenship.
YOUR CHOICE. DEPENDS on what YOU WANT, and what you are qualified for. If you are qualified for citizenship, and you are IN Canada, you are undoubtedly qualified for BOTH. So, your choice can be:
-- apply for both a new PR card AND apply for citizenship (at the same time, or at different times)
-- apply only for a new PR card
-- apply only for citizenship, or
-- do not apply for either

Again, as long as they are qualified, a PR can choose to do both, neither, or one or the other. Which choice (both, neither, or one or the other) is right for you, for any particular individual, is largely a personal decision so long as the individual is eligible to be issued a new PR card and eligible for a grant of citizenship.

How long ago their most recently issued PR card expired is not relevant.

If you meet the qualifying requirements for a grant of citizenship, you can choose to apply for citizenship IF that is what YOU want to do. This decision does NOT depend on whether you choose to apply for a new PR card or not.

As long as you are a person with Canadian PR status and you are IN Canada, and currently in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, and not otherwise inadmissible, you can choose to apply for a new PR card but you do not necessarily need to do that UNLESS you need the PR card for international travel, for flying back to Canada in particular.

Since there can be a long timeline for a citizenship application to be processed, approved, and the oath actually administered, many PRs will renew their PR card while their citizenship application is in process. This is so they can travel internationally and fly directly back to Canada while the citizenship application is still pending.

Regarding the query you posed to the OP here, asking whether they had "success on this renewing your pr cards 3 years expired?"

The fact that the PR card expired three years previous should NOT affect whether the application for a new PR card is successful.

The length of time that has passed since a PR's status card has expired might (only might) have some influence in the extent of scrutiny given to their application for a new PR card, but that would be about a circumstance triggering a closer look, NOT a factor to be considered in determining whether the person is a PR eligible to be issued a new PR card.

It might be worth noting that apparently @Atheist9 decided they would apply for BOTH, and reporting here (at least as to a decision made) their application for a PR card was approved in April 2019 (not sure when they actually made the application for a new PR card).

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
I agree with the gist of your post, which I understand to say that there is no need to have a valid PR card except for flying to Canada from outside Canada, and more particularly that a PR's status is not affected by the expiration of their PR card or otherwise affected by not having a valid PR card. While @Pitaklan's posts do not clearly indicate the history, the references to the "last time i renew my pr card" in other topics, in conjunction to inquiring about PRs with long expired PR cards, it appears @Pitaklan likely understands this.

To be clear, however, the PR card is NOT a travel document. The PR card is a status card. The PR card merely documents the individual's status as a Canadian, a Canadian PR, in contrast to non-Canadians who are referred to as "Foreign Nationals" in most formal immigration contexts. A PR nonetheless retains their PR status whether or not they have a valid status card (valid PR card) to show their status as a Canadian PR.

It is a necessary status document to present in addition to a valid travel document (typically home country passport) for most PRs (nearly all who are not U.S. citizens) traveling to Canada by commercial air from outside Canada.

For what? It appears your question is whether you should apply for a new PR card or apply for citizenship.

YOUR CHOICE. DEPENDS on what YOU WANT, and what you are qualified for. If you are qualified for citizenship, and you are IN Canada, you are undoubtedly qualified for BOTH. So, your choice can be:
-- apply for both a new PR card AND apply for citizenship (at the same time, or at different times)

Again, as long as they are qualified, a PR can choose to do both, neither, or one or the other. Which choice (both, neither, or one or the other) is right for you, for any particular individual, is largely a personal decision so long as the individual is eligible to be issued a new PR card and eligible for a grant of citizenship.

If you meet the qualifying requirements for a grant of citizenship, you can choose to apply for citizenship IF that is what YOU want to do. This decision does NOT depend on whether you choose to apply for a new PR card or not.

As long as you are a person with Canadian PR status and you are IN Canada, and currently in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, and not otherwise inadmissible, you can choose to apply for a new PR card but you do not necessarily need to do that UNLESS you need the PR card for international travel, for flying back to Canada in particular.

Since there can be a long timeline for a citizenship application to be processed, approved, and the oath actually administered, many PRs will renew their PR card while their citizenship application is in process. This is so they can travel internationally and fly directly back to Canada while the citizenship application is still pending.

Regarding the query you posed to the OP here, asking whether they had "success on this renewing your pr cards 3 years expired?"

The fact that the PR card expired three years previous should NOT affect whether the application for a new PR card is successful.

The length of time that has passed since a PR's status card has expired might (only might) have some influence in the extent of scrutiny given to their application for a new PR card, but that would be about a circumstance triggering a closer look, NOT a factor to be considered in determining whether the person is a PR eligible to be issued a new PR card.

It might be worth noting that apparently @Atheist9 decided they would apply for BOTH, and reporting here (at least as to a decision made) their application for a PR card was approved in April 2019 (not sure when they actually made the application for a new PR card).
Hi @dpenabill
Thanks for the information. Its actually my wifes pr card she has not renewed her pr card since she came here in canada. It was expired 4 years ago but she has never left canada. When she has her valid pr card from 2014-2019 she has absence of 101 only then from 2019-current no absence at all. As you suggest its up to us how we would like or what we qualify to apply.
at the moment we dont plan to travel. We have never travel internationally for the past 7-8 years. We have been here in canada just working. So is it good suggestion to just apply for citizenship and only citizenship itself?

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto

I actually wanted to apply for both so she has proper valid documentation. Will it pose negative matter if she apply pr card renewal during the process of her citizenship?

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto

“The length of time that has passed since a PR's status card has expired might (only might) have some influence in the extent of scrutiny given to their application for a new PR card, but that would be about a circumstance triggering a closer look, NOT a factor to be considered in determining whether the person is a PR eligible to be issued a new PR card.”

I am concern with regards to your comment that they might revoke her status because the length of time her pr card expired has passed.