+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card expired,how can I get a driving license? Urgent help needed.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Then can he or she move to that province?
Sure, but how would they prove that they have legal status in Canada to obtain a DL? It does seem a bit crazy, since we all know that an expired PR card does NOT mean loss of PR status, unless and until it is officially revoked.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got the PR in 2017. planned to settle in 2019, But then pregnant and had to stay in bed for 6 months. and then the Covid-19 begins. As I had to take my parents and my kids along to Canada, they are vulnerable to Covid. and China is really tight in Covid prevention. Lots of the flights are cancelled. So I thought I may have to wait for Covid to be over and then settle in B.C

I just stayed one month here in B.C. by far. I know I do not meet the obligation. Is it possible that I apply for PR card renewal on the grounds of Covid exemption?
Based on this information, I would not submit the application to renew your PR card unless you are prepared to accept the risk that you may end up losing your PR status. If you are OK with that, then go ahead.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i am already In Canada.
You stated in a post above that you've only been here for 1 month. Is that correct?

If so...did your PR card expire very recently?

If so, did you have any issues re-entering Canada; questioned about your R.O. by a CBSA officer at the airport, for example?

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
You stated in a post above that you've only been here for 1 month. Is that correct?

If so...did your PR card expire very recently?

If so, did you have any issues re-entering Canada; questioned about your R.O. by a CBSA officer at the airport, for example?
Yes, my flights landed June 4th and my card expired june 9th

Shanghai was locked down for 3 months. and the ban was lifted on June 1st.

I was not questioned at the airport. There is a visa officer checked on his computer but he didn't say anything and let us leave.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
Based on this information, I would not submit the application to renew your PR card unless you are prepared to accept the risk that you may end up losing your PR status. If you are OK with that, then go ahead.

Because of the covid, pr renewal processing takes at least two months. I think maybe I can quickly withdraw my application cause the application is made online, visa officer don;t even bother to look at my document package then approve of my withdraw.

I don't want to lose my pr status.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I was not questioned at the airport. There is a visa officer checked on his computer but he didn't say anything and let us leave.
Wow! You were probably very lucky. If s/he/they had asked you about the time away from Canada, they may have generated a report regarding your non-compliance. Since they did not...you should probably just wait for another 2 years (plus a couple of months) before you even consider applying to renew your PR card. You can't be removed, unless a report was created, but...you will have a difficult time `living' here without a valid status document.

Please discuss this with a person that may be able to really help you...like a qualified lawyer. You deserve to have the truth about whatever your options really are.

Reactions: Tubsmagee

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Because of the covid, pr renewal processing takes at least two months. I think maybe I can quickly withdraw my application cause the application is made online, visa officer don;t even bother to look at my document package then approve of my withdraw.

I don't want to lose my pr status.
But won't you have to wait for AOR to prove that you have submitted the application? That's really the proof that the application has been received by IRCC. AOR takes a few months and by then your application is being processed.

If you submit the application early, you have to be prepared to accept the risk that a withdrawal won't be possible and this could result in the loss of your PR status. There is no way to eliminate this risk. So you have to be prepared to accept it.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

From what I heard, despite of the lockdown, people can still fly out of the country. Before that, people stopover in HK and flew to Canada.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
But won't you have to wait for AOR to prove that you have submitted the application? That's really the proof that the application has been received by IRCC. AOR takes a few months and by then your application is being processed.

If you submit the application early, you have to be prepared to accept the risk that a withdrawal won't be possible and this could result in the loss of your PR status. There is no way to eliminate this risk. So you have to be prepared to accept it.
What does the AOR stands for

I thought the payment of application fee 50 dollar is the proof....

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

AOR is the Acknowledgement of Receipt. It means that they received the application. The payment receipt doesn't help at all without the AOR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

The payment is just proof that you paid the fee. I'm not sure if that will be enough. You can pay the fee without actually submitting the application.

AOR is what IRCC sends to confirm they have received your application. I believe it's taking a couple of months to receive AOR these days. Once you get AOR, your application is in progress and withdrawal may not be possible.

Did ICBC tell you exactly what they need to see as proof your application has been submitted? I would recommend you ask this question.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
From what I heard, despite of the lockdown, people can still fly out of the country. Before that, people stopover in HK and flew to Canada.
yes, but since most of the flights are cancelled. the remaining flights are scarce and extremely expensive.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
The payment is just proof that you paid the fee. I'm not sure if that will be enough. You can pay the fee without actually submitting the application.

AOR is what IRCC sends to confirm they have received your application. I believe it's taking a couple of months to receive AOR these days. Once you get AOR, your application is in progress and withdrawal may not be possible.

Did ICBC tell you exactly what they need to see as proof your application has been submitted? I would recommend you ask this question.
I will ask ICBC this question tomorrow.

Thank you so much for answering my questions,

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I suspect that ICBC will need more than just a receipt as proof of application for PR renewal submitted, but it's certainly worth asking.