+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card delivered to UPS Box: Yes it's possible!

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
I just received my PR Card that was delivered to my UPS Box in Canada. Yes this is possible!

My processing details are in signature and sidebar. I live in US and my US visa is expired. After my landing, I could not stay in Canada for more than 30 days (I actually stayed only 2 days).

Before landing I booked a hotel in canada. At the border, I gave the hotel address. The officer guessed it immediately that it was a temporary address (there was no apt number on the address). He gave me a form to fill and fax to CIC once I'm in canada and as soon as I have permanent address. He emphasized it.

I landed. The first thing I did after landing was to find the nearest UPS store and buy a box there. I bought (rented) the box for 6 months and it cost me almost $190. They told me you can use the box number as "Apt #", "Suite #" or whatever you like when giving that address to anyone. I decided to stick to the "Suite #" option. They also took my credit card info (my US$ card that they said would work in Canada too) in case I ask them to forward my mail or extend the length of the Box rental.

Then I went to the CIC centre to discuss if extra photos were required. She refused to take any extra photos but while talking to me she found out that I also need to update my permanent address. She agreed to update it on the system right then and there. I was careful not to reveal that it's a UPS Box. She updated it on the system and told me there is no need to fax!

After coming back to US. I kept calling CIC Mississauga (613-944-4000) to check the status of my PR Card App. When they said they mailed my PR Card, I waited a week and then called my UPS store, and found out that they have received an envelope from Immigration Canada.

I asked UPS Store to forward all the contents of my package to my US address. It cost me around $60. I got my envelopes (containing my pr card) in 1 business day!

The whole thing cost me $250, but I think it was a better deal compared to if I had gone the other route: apply for PRTD, pay for PRTD fee ($100+) wait for it to be processed, come back to canada and pay for PR Card app ($50), it would still have cost me at least $150 plus a lot of frustration and waiting.

UPS Box is also available for 3 months costing not more than $120 I guess. But I wanted to be on the safe side with 6 month rental. It turns out my card was processed in less than 3 months of UPS rental!

Important: I was concerned about giving them my credit card info (I had to fill a form and give all the numbers, card number, expiry, CVV, etc, and also a copy of front and back of the card!). During my landing trip I also gave this information to a parking company in buffalo to reserve parking in advance. Over the last 2 months, I had one incident of fraudulent transaction! my bank was nice enough to return me the money but I got concerned after that. My guess would be that it was the parking company and not the UPS store (cz UPS is a big name) who stole my card info. Anyway I had to cancel my old card and get a new card. But now the problem was how to make UPS send me the package if the card info they have is the old one! ... finally I bit the bullet and gave them the new card info!

chappan

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Dear Danhass...very useful information indeed. Thank you for sharing!

I am on H1B as well. Mine is not expired but my 6th year will expire next year by the end of first quarter. You mentioned that you travelled on an expired visa. I have a different situation. I came to US on L1B and then switched to H1B while still in the US. Since then I've never left US. Needless to say, my passport is also not stamped with the new visa. I got my I-94 attached with the approval letter.

I am yet to receive my passports back from Canadian Embassy in Buffalo (just sent on 29th May for PR visa stamping). However, my question to you is, did you surrender your I-94 while crorssing the US border and before entering Canada? My concern is that if I surrendered my I-94 while crossing the US border, I'll not get my H1B visa stamped at the Canadian embassy/border because of too many complications which I am sure you must be aware of. Would you be so kind to share your experience along those lines? i.e Your exit from US and then re-entry. Whether you surrendered your I-94 or not? Whether you drove to Canada or flew?

Greatly appreciate your help in advance!

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
Hi chappan ... I did not surrender my I-94 ... don't surrender it otherwise you'll need valid visa to re-enter US ... I was very well prepared on how to do the ARV (automatic re-validation) ... google it and you'll find instructions and requiremets

however even if I wanted to surrender I-94, I couldn't ... cz I crossed land border and I didn't stop at any "exit" checkpost ... the bus that I was riding took me straight to Canada port-of-entry office ... so I don't know how can you even accidentally surrender your I-94 ... (airports are a completely different story though)

chappan

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Dear Danhass, it makes sense. I'll read about "Automatic Re-Validation" today after work. I'll post more questions if I couldn't figure out how it works :)

Thank you for the hint again! Your response is much appreciated!

ronline

Jun 26, 2012
@danhass Thx for posting this. I just have one question. How did you manage to call CIC from outside?
It is possible to reach the CIC call centre from outside Canada via Foreign Affairs Canada:
+1 613 944 4000 (for an agent: options 1,2,1,2,1 ... then 0 to skip the message) but the agent may be suspicious when seeing Foreign Affairs number.

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
ronline said:
@ danhass Thx for posting this. I just have one question. How did you manage to call CIC from outside?
It is possible to reach the CIC call centre from outside Canada via Foreign Affairs Canada:
+1 613 944 4000 (for an agent: options 1,2,1,2,1 ... then 0 to skip the message) but the agent may be suspicious when seeing Foreign Affairs number.
Hi ronline, no one is going to be suspicious ... when you call the 613 number and select the option for immigration (1,2 whatever ... i don't remember) the call is forwarded to the same number which people call from inside canada ... so the agent might not even know that the person is calling from within canada or from outside ...

i called the same way many many times and never had a problem ... just make sure when they ask what is your address (for verification purposes) you give them the canadian address (UPS or friend's or whatever) that is on your online CIC profile/account

ronline

Jun 26, 2012
Thx for the confirmation danhass.
Meanwhile I have tried to call the CIC from my country of residence. I walked around by calling from cyber coffee coz I know that their numbers never shows up.
You added an additional layer that about the call forwarding. So the final output is that we can only get compromised by our selfs.
I read another post of a guy who got into troubles coz calling from Mexico. On the other hand he compromised him by itself as he mentioned that he's calling outside of Canada.

dodan

Mar 7, 2010
usa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
now that I am your friend I would recommend that you may like to change your mindset... "I was careful not to reveal that it's a UPS Box."

thanks

danhass said:
I just received my PR Card that was delivered to my UPS Box in Canada. Yes this is possible!

My processing details are in signature and sidebar. I live in US and my US visa is expired. After my landing, I could not stay in Canada for more than 30 days (I actually stayed only 2 days).

Before landing I booked a hotel in canada. At the border, I gave the hotel address. The officer guessed it immediately that it was a temporary address (there was no apt number on the address). He gave me a form to fill and fax to CIC once I'm in canada and as soon as I have permanent address. He emphasized it.

I landed. The first thing I did after landing was to find the nearest UPS store and buy a box there. I bought (rented) the box for 6 months and it cost me almost $190. They told me you can use the box number as "Apt #", "Suite #" or whatever you like when giving that address to anyone. I decided to stick to the "Suite #" option. They also took my credit card info (my US$ card that they said would work in Canada too) in case I ask them to forward my mail or extend the length of the Box rental.

Then I went to the CIC centre to discuss if extra photos were required. She refused to take any extra photos but while talking to me she found out that I also need to update my permanent address. She agreed to update it on the system right then and there. I was careful not to reveal that it's a UPS Box. She updated it on the system and told me there is no need to fax!

After coming back to US. I kept calling CIC Mississauga (613-944-4000) to check the status of my PR Card App. When they said they mailed my PR Card, I waited a week and then called my UPS store, and found out that they have received an envelope from Immigration Canada.

I asked UPS Store to forward all the contents of my package to my US address. It cost me around $60. I got my envelopes (containing my pr card) in 1 business day!

The whole thing cost me $250, but I think it was a better deal compared to if I had gone the other route: apply for PRTD, pay for PRTD fee ($100+) wait for it to be processed, come back to canada and pay for PR Card app ($50), it would still have cost me at least $150 plus a lot of frustration and waiting.

UPS Box is also available for 3 months costing not more than $120 I guess. But I wanted to be on the safe side with 6 month rental. It turns out my card was processed in less than 3 months of UPS rental!

Important: I was concerned about giving them my credit card info (I had to fill a form and give all the numbers, card number, expiry, CVV, etc, and also a copy of front and back of the card!). During my landing trip I also gave this information to a parking company in buffalo to reserve parking in advance. Over the last 2 months, I had one incident of fraudulent transaction! my bank was nice enough to return me the money but I got concerned after that. My guess would be that it was the parking company and not the UPS store (cz UPS is a big name) who stole my card info. Anyway I had to cancel my old card and get a new card. But now the problem was how to make UPS send me the package if the card info they have is the old one! ... finally I bit the bullet and gave them the new card info!