+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr card application after prtd

Aarunb

May 19, 2020
Ive been in Canada after 2 yrs getting prtd, I've been waiting to satisfy RO to apply to pr card,is it the normal process to apply?

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Ive been in Canada after 2 yrs getting prtd, I've been waiting to satisfy RO to apply to pr card,is it the normal process to apply?
If you have been in Canada for 2 years and are compliant with RO, you should apply for PR card. Curious - did you receive PRTD based on H&C reasons?

Aarunb

May 19, 2020
Yes,but my pr card was taken by the CBSA officer, so what should I state in my application?they need the pr card,should I tell them it was destroyed by CBSA?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brou

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Yes,but my pr card was taken by the CBSA officer, so what should I state in my application?they need the pr card,should I tell them it was destroyed by CBSA?
I am assuming the « yes » is in respect to being granted PRTD based on H&C reasons. Why was your card taken by CBSA?

Aarunb

May 19, 2020
I haven't been in Canada since 2008, but now I've been here since 18Feb 2022, so can I apply for pr card this Feb 18 since it's 2 years?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I haven't been in Canada since 2008, but now I've been here since 18Feb 2022, so can I apply for pr card this Feb 18 since it's 2 years?
You can. You may want to wait an extra ten days or so, eg unitl March, so that it's clear there is more than 730 days in Canada.

Can only suggest that you refer to CBSA taking the PR card and that it was not returned to you.

I assume you were issued no other paperwork by CBSA when you entered? Did they give you ANY paperwork, such as a receipt, when they took your card?

Aarunb

May 19, 2020
Ok,but I want to travel home in may ,so it will take 1 month to process right? No receipt issued

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ok,but I want to travel home in may ,so it will take 1 month to process right? No receipt issued
No-one can tell you how long it will take. Some get processed quite quickly. Some take quite a bit longer.

Those who have periods of long non-compliance (for example, 14 years outside Canada) might wish to be more cautious and anticipate delays.

I'd suggest waiting until you get the PR card, given your previous situation. But up to you.

Aarunb

May 19, 2020
Ok,do I need lawyers to apply or can I apply by myself.also I don't have previous pr card, do I just show them a copy of my landing stamp in my passport to prove my 2 years here? Or do I need to show my health card,driver's license?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ok,do I need lawyers to apply or can I apply by myself.also I don't have previous pr card, do I just show them a copy of my landing stamp in my passport to prove my 2 years here? Or do I need to show my health card,driver's license?
You can do it yourself. If you don't have your landing docs, explain why. For what else you need, read the instructions.

Aarunb

May 19, 2020
So are they just going to see period of accessment for that 730 days?do I need to prove my residency in Canada by driver's license or health card, I researched online but couldn't find anything,I also don't have my pay stubs or rent agreement

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So are they just going to see period of accessment for that 730 days?do I need to prove my residency in Canada by driver's license or health card, I researched online but couldn't find anything,I also don't have my pay stubs or rent agreement
Driver's license and health card alone won't be sufficient. Read the detailed guide on the IRCC site. I assume you have been filing taxes?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Driver's license and health card alone won't be sufficient. Read the detailed guide on the IRCC site. I assume you have been filing taxes?
Why not? Each of those are items that people are submitting, I'm sure.
Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation

• You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements;
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why was your PR card taken by CBSA? If you entered Canada without issue then typically PR care isn’t taken. why your card was taken has big impact on whether you can apply for new PR card.

Aarunb

May 19, 2020
I just provided my Canadian driver's licence and landed passport stamp,I also mentioned I'm here as a student,so isn't the above documents not mandatory?pr card was taken as it was expired and the official said to apply for new one