+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Potential PGWP Refusal

scipol

Jan 16, 2023
Hello,

I'm a student at a DLI graduating at the end of this term. I'm going to apply for PGWP but worried my app would be refused.

I'm mostly worried about my 2 gap terms:
- A regularly scheduled break term, in which I took part-time studies
- A break term I took because of medical reasons. Got the authorized leave letter from the school. Did no part-time studies or work.

These two gaps are split apart and are 1 term long each, so I don't think the 150 days part will be a problem for me.

From reading the descriptions about PGWP online I feel like I should be OK, but I also saw cases online getting their PGWPs refused so I'm really worried I'll have a similar experience.

Has anyone seen/experienced a similar case to mine? If so I'd love to hear what happened.

Thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I'm a student at a DLI graduating at the end of this term. I'm going to apply for PGWP but worried my app would be refused.

- A break term I took because of medical reasons. Got the authorized leave letter from the school. Did no part-time studies or work.

These two gaps are split apart and are 1 term long each, so I don't think the 150 days part will be a problem for me.

From reading the descriptions about PGWP online I feel like I should be OK, but I also saw cases online getting their PGWPs refused so I'm really worried I'll have a similar experience.

Has anyone seen/experienced a similar case to mine? If so I'd love to hear what happened.

Thanks!
If you have authorized leave, and you didn’t need to study during scheduled break but did, you should be okay. Explain that your break was scheduled and you decided to take a few classes. Assume you were full-time for all other semesters.

scipol

Jan 16, 2023
If you have authorized leave, and you didn’t need to study during scheduled break but did, you should be okay. Explain that your break was scheduled and you decided to take a few classes. Assume you were full-time for all other semesters.
Thanks,

Could the ircc still refuse even with authorized leave letter from my school? Could they ask for additional proof for loa, more than what the school asked from me?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks,

Could the ircc still refuse even with authorized leave letter from my school? Could they ask for additional proof for loa, more than what the school asked from me?
Not to be flippant but IRCC can do whatever they want. Sure they can ask for more proof.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yea suppose that makes sense. Gotta cross my fingers for it i guess. Thanks fir the help.
I think you should be okay. Most important is that the school approved/authorized your leave. Did you just complete one program at the same DLI and were full-time?

scipol

Jan 16, 2023
I think you should be okay. Most important is that the school approved/authorized your leave. Did you just complete one program at the same DLI and were full-time?
Yep pretty much. Altho i did transfer programs inbetween those gaps.

manindermangat

Oct 18, 2023
Hello,

Thanks!

hi. did you got your pgwp. i am also facing the same issue. But i took scheduled break + authoried leave right after one another and went to india for medical reasons. kindly update

scipol

Jan 16, 2023
Yes I did thankfully. You might face some trouble if your total break + leave time was more than 5 months, so might wanna check with your school's immigration officer.