+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Visa

KAnimator

May 12, 2014
Hi,

I'm a US citizen and recently graduated from Sheridan College in Ontario, and have a job offer in Ottawa.
Originally I had planned to submit my application outside Canada (since I'm at home in CT for a month) online and filled out the IMM1295E. I'm waiting on my graduation letter, and have a job offer letter from my employer. I had a physical done and have the papers about all my updated shots and will get bloodwork done if that is needed.

However, now my father and I plan to drive up to the border to get it done quicker and need to know exactly what else we need to take up so the trip isn't a waste of time. We did the same thing with my study permit 4 years ago and got it done the same day.

I had called a 1-800 number in Canada about the work visa and they told me my employer would also have to fill out a LMO form/survey. My SIN expires in a few days (when my study permit expires) and will have to renew it but I don't think I can renew it until I get the work visa. The job will be fairly long term as they have 5+ years worth of work right at the moment.

I'm a bit confused on what exactly I need to do if I were to take all the needed documents up to the border and get it done that day, since the 1-800 number made it sound like more of a hassle than the CIC website says.

Thank you!

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Assuming Sheridan College is a designated learning institution for the purposes of the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program, you’re eligible to apply for a PGWP which does not require an LMO.

You said you’re waiting on your graduation letter, so just be aware that you can’t apply for the PGWP until you have written confirmation from Sheridan that you’ve met the requirements to complete your study program. See info on PGWPP eligibility and 90-day deadline here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

If you need to start work sooner than the PGWP arrives, you can legally do so using your off-campus work permit. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob193.asp which says in part:

Transition from Off-Campus Work Permits to Post-Graduation Work Permits
Students can apply for a post-graduation work permit—a one-time opportunity—during the 90-day transition period on completion of their academic program if they fulfill all of the requirements for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Since the validity period of an off-campus work permit is usually the same as the student’s study period (the duration of the academic program plus 90 days), they do not have to surrender their off-campus work permit to apply. They can continue to work under the Off-Campus Work Permit provided that they hold both a valid study permit and a valid off-campus work permit. Employment during this transition period can be full time.

KAnimator

May 12, 2014
I don't have an off campus work permit so I can't bridge into the PGWP. My job starts around June 16th and my study permit expires on May 15th.
I'm guessing the LMO will only be needed once my PGWP expires and I get a new visa?

So, if I were to go to the border and get this done, I need:

-my study permit
-my passport
-the visa application filled out (I assume I can print out the PDF that's on the CIC site?)
-my graduation letter

And it looks like I don't need a medical exam or my job offer letter, but I'll bring them anyways.

Anything else I need?

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
KAnimator said:
I don't have an off campus work permit so I can't bridge into the PGWP. My job starts around June 16th and my study permit expires on May 15th.
I'm guessing the LMO will only be needed once my PGWP expires and I get a new visa?

So, if I were to go to the border and get this done, I need:

-my study permit
-my passport
-the visa application filled out (I assume I can print out the PDF that's on the CIC site?)
-my graduation letter

And it looks like I don't need a medical exam or my job offer letter, but I'll bring them anyways.

Anything else I need?
i don't think you can get a PGWP at border...you will need to apply online...

KAnimator

May 12, 2014
Bleh, apparently I can't apply for this with an expired study permit. Doesn't make sense, but oh well. Didn't get my graduation letter until today even though I had asked to get it earlier.

Should I renew my study permit or apply for a normal work permit (if I can even do that)?

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's right, the rules are that you can't get a PGWP if your study permit has expired. See here about halfway down: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

If you've graduated, how do you plan to renew your study permit?

If you want a work permit, you will most likely need an LMO first, unless you meet the occupational requirements for LMO-exempt WPs under NAFTA. You should look those up to see if you fit under any of the eligible occupations.