+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit REJECTED! so Working holiday?

dalji

Mar 26, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'd studied in Canada since i was in gr.10 (in 2004) and I graduated from a canadian university in Ontario last spring (Exams were done in April, 2012 but the the convocation was in June which I did not attend). So I was living in Canada for quite a long time on a study permit. I now have an engineering degree with some canadian work experience from co-op.

I came back to South Korea right after my exams to have a few months of vacation. I was planning to go back to canada for work. I applied for the PGWP my mail from Korea (I had all the requirements met including the timeframe). However the response from CIC arrived to my aunt's place in Ottawa saying that my PGWP was rejected because I applied from abroad, not from Canada. When I'd received the response, it was already past the timeframe I could re-apply for my PGWP (my study permit had expired). I didn't know applying from abroad was a problem and i still can't find that information on CIC website!

ANYWAYS, that was already half an year ago and i've accepted and moved on. Since I got rejected, I took the opportunity to work part time in Korea and travel. I didn't really do anything about my visa situation. Now that I'm back from my travels, back to reality :'( I'm starting my research.

I still really want to go back to Canada and work in engineering. Here are the options I 'think' I have.
(Currently, both my study permit and work permit from co-op are expired, so i have no valid visa)

1. Go to Canada as a tourist (Koreans get a 6-month visitor's visa upon entry) and find a job, then apply for the work permit.
Problem A: I might even be rejected at the border because it's suspicious for me to visit canada for that long when i'd lived there for 8-9years
Problem B: Even if I get to stay there for 6months, Looking for a job as a foreigner is difficult. And I'm only a junior engineer with minimal experience.
Problem C: Even if I get an offer, my potential employer will have to go through all the LMO stuff.. which takes long with a high probability of rejection

2. Apply for Working Holiday visa and find a job in Canada, then extend/change the working holiday visa to the real work permit.
Problem A: Would I get a Working Holiday visa when I've lived in Canada for so long? It's really for people who want to explore canada while working.
Problem B: Again, I'm afraid I won't find a job in my field

3. Find a Canadian job from Korea, apply for the work permit then enter Canada.
No problem!! as long as I manage to find a job in the first place. This would be the ideal option but the most difficult one, I suppose.

What do you think is the most feasible and less risky option? Or do you have any other ideas?

The rejection of my PGWP application surely destroyed the plans I had for the few years after my graduation. I did enjoy the last 1year, doing something other than engineering related work but I really want to get back now. I Had no idea that going back to a country where I lived and studied for 8years (with expensive tuition!!) was this hard!!

I thought maybe anyone here could give me some advice? Any input will be much appreciated!
Thank you for reading this long post : )

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would go with option #2. Option #1 and #3 will be very difficult due to the LMO requirements.

matt84

Star Member
Jan 10, 2010
Fredericton, NB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dalji said:
...saying that my PGWP was rejected because I applied from abroad, not from Canada...
Hi everyone!

I cannot seem to find such a requirement on the CIC website? Can someone clarify please?
thanks.

edit:
From CIC website: "You normally have to apply for a work permit from outside Canada"

???

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
There are different types of work permits, each with its own eligibility criteria. Normally, you would apply for a work permit from outside Canada(applicable to those outside Canada and applying from their home country or those applying at the border or people in Canada on visitor visas but mailing their application to a Canadian visa office in the US).

It is also possible to apply for a work permit from inside Canada - this is only for applicants who already hold a study permit or work permit.

The post-graduate work permit(PGWP) has to done from inside Canada and within 90days of receiving confirmation that you have satisfied degree requirements(this is NOT the same as the graduation date, which usually a few months later).

matt84 said:
Hi everyone!

I cannot seem to find such a requirement on the CIC website? Can someone clarify please?
thanks.

edit:
From CIC website: "You normally have to apply for a work permit from outside Canada"

???

matt84

Star Member
Jan 10, 2010
Fredericton, NB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
There are different types of work permits, each with its own eligibility criteria. Normally, you would apply for a work permit from outside Canada(applicable to those outside Canada and applying from their home country or those applying at the border or people in Canada on visitor visas but mailing their application to a Canadian visa office in the US).

It is also possible to apply for a work permit from inside Canada - this is only for applicants who already hold a study permit or work permit.

The post-graduate work permit(PGWP) has to done from inside Canada and within 90days of receiving confirmation that you have satisfied degree requirements(this is NOT the same as the graduation date, which usually a few months later).
Got that. Just wanted to double check on the official CIC website..

What if I leave Canada right after graduation in Dec 2013, spend Christmas with family, apply for a new passport (the current one will expire early next year), come back to Canada in mid-February with the new passport and apply for the PGWP from here? Would that work then? And would I have any problems at the border? Thanks.

edit:

From the UOT website:
"It is possible to submit a Post Graduation Work Permit application through a Canadian Visa office abroad (Outside of Canada), but we suggest that you come to speak to an ISC advisor before applying"

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Do you think you can do all of that AND return to Canada within 90 days in order to apply for the PGWP from inside Canada? If so, I don't see that as an issue.

If you have a valid study permit and multiple entry TRV(assuming you need a visa), you should be able to enter Canada.

matt84 said:
Got that. Just wanted to double check on the official CIC website..

What if I leave Canada right after graduation in Dec 2013, spend Christmas with family, apply for a new passport (the current one will expire early next year), come back to Canada in mid-February with the new passport and apply for the PGWP from here? Would that work then? And would I have any problems at the border? Thanks.

edit:

From the UOT website:
"It is possible to submit a Post Graduation Work Permit application through a Canadian Visa office abroad (Outside of Canada), but we suggest that you come to speak to an ISC advisor before applying"

matt84

Star Member
Jan 10, 2010
Fredericton, NB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
Do you think you can do all of that AND return to Canada within 90 days in order to apply for the PGWP from inside Canada? If so, I don't see that as an issue.

If you have a valid study permit and multiple entry TRV(assuming you need a visa), you should be able to enter Canada.
Thanks for your response SenoritaBella! Sure I could do that. My concern however is whether the visa officer at the POE will complain due to my new passport. So my study permit would be in my old passport and it would be perforated so not sure if that would make my study visa invalid automatically? I don't need a TRV btw. Thanks.