+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Refused on the Grounds of Later Entry

dustan

May 9, 2018
Hello,

I have a somewhat curious case. I have completed my master studies in 3 years (2 years program) and applied for PGWP from outside Canada. Now, I was foolish to write in a letter that I was funded by an organization, terms of agreement with which state that I must work back in my home country for 2 to 3 years). I hoped that I'll get PGWP for 3 years and will have one year of PGWP left by the time I complete my work in my home country. Now, the application is refused because they are not convinced I won't stay beyond allowed time in Canada and because I won't use work permit until 2020.

How likely is that I'll be given PGWP in case of appeal? My biggest problem now is finances, and I wonder how much would it cost to hire a lawyer to solve this case.

Thanks for reading this post. Have a nice day.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but sounds as though the damage has been done given the expectation of anyone applying for a PGWP would be that they want to stay on post graduation to work and maybe if conditions met aim for PR.

Once anyone has a PGWP approved nobody really cares if you spend 2 out of 3 years out of the country that is an individual decision , but to admit that up front not a good idea. Not sure any appeal would work or how now you could persuade anyone that your intention now is to stay on even if reality might be different.

No harm in trying although whether technically that might be classed as misrepresentation difficult to say given your initial application statement that now all of a sudden you might be saying you do not have to work in home country after all.

A lawyer might be an expensive waste of money but that is a personal decision.

Reactions: dustan

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I have a somewhat curious case. I have completed my master studies in 3 years (2 years program) and applied for PGWP from outside Canada. Now, I was foolish to write in a letter that I was funded by an organization, terms of agreement with which state that I must work back in my home country for 2 to 3 years). I hoped that I'll get PGWP for 3 years and will have one year of PGWP left by the time I complete my work in my home country. Now, the application is refused because they are not convinced I won't stay beyond allowed time in Canada and because I won't use work permit until 2020.

How likely is that I'll be given PGWP in case of appeal? My biggest problem now is finances, and I wonder how much would it cost to hire a lawyer to solve this case.

Thanks for reading this post. Have a nice day.
You'll need to appeal through the federal court - which you can't do without a lawyer. Lawyer will cost around $5,000. No one here can tell you what the chances of a positive outcome would be.