+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

W.93

Nov 10, 2017
Hi Everybody,
I have a question, I really appreciate if you could kindly help me.
I just completed my PhD and am going to apply for a PGWP. However, I noticed that the expiry date of my passport is Oct 2018. Given the fact that PGWP is up to 3 years and cannot be renewed, if I apply with my current passport, I can get work permit for only one year. If I want to renew my passport, it may take a couple of weeks. On the other hand, I found a job am currently working in a company. The CIC website states that the students who completed their program and applied for work permit are allowed to work. The question that I have is that is it legal if I work for a couple of weeks and then when I received my new passport, I apply for the work permit?
Thank you very much for your response.
Based on my research (which I did a lot of), the moment you receive confirmation of completion of studies, you should stop working right away. Once you apply for the PGWP and while waiting for decision, you can then continue working. In the period between fully completing your studies and applying for the pgwp, you are not allowed to work I believe.

mhkash

Nov 11, 2017
Based on my research (which I did a lot of), the moment you receive confirmation of completion of studies, you should stop working right away. Once you apply for the PGWP and while waiting for decision, you can then continue working. In the period between fully completing your studies and applying for the pgwp, you are not allowed to work I believe.
Thanks for your response, do you have any reference for this fact?

mhkash

Nov 11, 2017
As long as you don’t apply for your PGWP 90 days after receiving a notification from your school about completing your program, you are good.
Thanks for your response, someone else has an opposite opinion, do you have any reference ?

W.93

Nov 10, 2017
Thanks for your response, do you have any reference for this fact?
Can I work while I am waiting to receive my post-graduation work permit?
You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:

• had a valid study permit,
  • had completed your program of study,
  • were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
  • did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions.
Notice how they say you can work full time given the conditions AT THE TIME YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION, not before submitting it. This was on cic website.

harshitagulati03

Nov 10, 2017
Finally!

Applied on September 14th
Confirmation on September 14th
Approved on November 8th.

Good luck everyone!
When you applied and got an email saying your application has been updated, were you able to keep a track of your application through your cic acc? Cause I can't. I login every time and it doesn't show the status of my application. It's really weird.

Iyerish

May 18, 2017
Applied for PGWP on 2017/October 9th, Confirmation 9th.
Please join here Guys applied in the first week of october. Thanks.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Can I work while I am waiting to receive my post-graduation work permit?
You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:

• had a valid study permit,
  • had completed your program of study,
  • were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
  • did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions.
Notice how they say you can work full time given the conditions AT THE TIME YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION, not before submitting it. This was on cic website.
As long as your study permit is valid you can continue working (my study permit was valid for a month after I graduated). After I finished my studies I asked the college to send me a letter of confirmation right away, which they did, and then I immediately applied for the PGWP. I continued working and got an email regarding this from the CIC to prove it was legal.

matthew_131

Nov 11, 2017
Confirmed on sept 16
Saw it turn on updated on last Friday but turn back to submitted, now still nothing....

Last edited:

mhkash

Nov 11, 2017
As long as your study permit is valid you can continue working (my study permit was valid for a month after I graduated). After I finished my studies I asked the college to send me a letter of confirmation right away, which they did, and then I immediately applied for the PGWP. I continued working and got an email regarding this from the CIC to prove it was legal.
Thank you very much for your response. I have graduated a couple of days ago. I would like to apply for PGWP. my passport and study permit are valid until Feb 2018. since PGWP is not renewed and issued only one time for 3 years, I do not want to lose the opportunity to have 3years work permit. I need to wait a couple of weeks to renew my passport and then apply for PGWP, but certainly I will apply within 3months after graduation. I was wondering if I could work in these weeks until I get my new passport and apply for PGWP?

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
Thank you very much for your response. I have graduated a couple of days ago. I would like to apply for PGWP. my passport and study permit are valid until Feb 2018. since PGWP is not renewed and issued only one time for 3 years, I do not want to lose the opportunity to have 3years work permit. I need to wait a couple of weeks to renew my passport and then apply for PGWP, but certainly I will apply within 3 months after graduation. I was wondering if I could work in these weeks until I get my new passport and apply for PGWP?
You have to apply first for the PGWP with a valid study permit to be under implied status and be able to work.

Paragraph 186(w) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) allows students who have completed their program of study to work while they are waiting for a decision on their work permit application, as long as they were a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI) in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program and they did not exceed the allowable hours of work.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
You have to apply first for the PGWP with a valid study permit to be under implied status and be able to work.

Paragraph 186(w) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) allows students who have completed their program of study to work while they are waiting for a decision on their work permit application, as long as they were a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI) in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program and they did not exceed the allowable hours of work.
This is correct, but the fact that your passport expires so soon, might go against you, as it has with others on the forum.

itwarriorkarve

Star Member
Sep 19, 2014
Thank you very much for your response. I have graduated a couple of days ago. I would like to apply for PGWP. my passport and study permit are valid until Feb 2018. since PGWP is not renewed and issued only one time for 3 years, I do not want to lose the opportunity to have 3years work permit. I need to wait a couple of weeks to renew my passport and then apply for PGWP, but certainly I will apply within 3months after graduation. I was wondering if I could work in these weeks until I get my new passport and apply for PGWP?
My suggestion would be to go ahead and apply for you PGWP as soon as possible. You owuld then get your permit till the expiry date of your passport. Post that get your passport renewed and apply for extension of your work permit duration. Note you are not applying for a new permit, merely extension which should be allowable. Experts please comment.

amji105

Sep 26, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
22-03-2019
Passport Req..
18-07-2019
Anybody know how long it takes for the work permit to arrive in the mail. I stay in Toronto. I've heard that it takes around 2 weeks. Is that true?