+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

sjanjua81

Jun 4, 2021
My PGWP application pending since 5 months.

Completed 2 years Masters program.
Application submitted: May 10
WP-EXT Letter: May 18

No further update. Raised 1st webform on July 12 but usual response that application is in process. Raised another webform on Oct 5 to update the application status. NO response.

Don't know whats going on. Anxiously waiting every day and feeling highly frustrated/upset.

Anyone in the same boat.

keyboat1

Jul 21, 2019
im in the same boat except im in BC. applied june 11th with status restoration receipt and letter of explanation attached as my study permit expired of may 30th and i received my transcript and letter of completion on june 11th. i applied within the same day but out of status so i paid $350 and attached the receipt to my application and paid $255 for the PGWP application. been 125 calendar days now and counting :( no update. raised a webform sept 12th of my new passport cause the old one expires in november 20th this year. new one expires in 2028. lets see... i paid correct fees and submitted all the documents i need i think but this is taking so long. due to my situation being after study permit expired i cant work until i get my pgwp approved.

Reactions: sjanjua81

keyboat1

Jul 21, 2019
study permit expired: may 30th
documents received: june 11th
applied pgwp$255+ restoration of status$350 : june 11th
uploaded web form sept 12th for new passport
no update................ 127 days and counting

huge fear of being rejected due to my overstay (study permit expired may 30 but i got letter of completion and transcript on june 11th i overlooked it.. so i cant work until i get approved)

Adejimi25

Star Member
Oct 5, 2023
My PGWP application pending since 5 months.

Completed 2 years Masters program.
Application submitted: May 10
WP-EXT Letter: May 18

No further update. Raised 1st webform on July 12 but usual response that application is in process. Raised another webform on Oct 5 to update the application status. NO response.

Don't know whats going on. Anxiously waiting every day and feeling highly frustrated/upset.

Anyone in the same boat.
any update yet on your application?

track002

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
Afternoon everyone!

I cannot express how frustrated and helpless I feel right now. I'm so tired to a point that I'm writing this post to vent my feelings. So, here's my story...

I came to Canada in Dec 2016 on a Student Permit (for a full 2-year course). Received my first ever PGWP in Aug 2018 that expired in Aug 2021. Then, I got lucky; Public Policy was introduced, and I got my Original PGWP extended from Sep 2021 to Mar 2023.

Everything went well until Mar 2023. I wasn't sure if I was gonna get Lucky again, so I decided to apply for an open-work permit. I applied for an Open Work Permit in Feb 2023, and today, it's been 8 months and 4 days since. I'm still waiting for a response on my application.

I called IRCC, after I had passed the estimated processing time. At that time, the April 6th Public Policy was announced, and that was the first thing I asked the rep: my eligibility to extend under the new policy. They answered, "NO", because one can only get Public Policy extension ONCE on their PGWP - 2023 would've been my second. As a result, I did not qualify. After a lot of back and forth, at my humble request to do something, they had left a note on my application (stating the time was past the estimation).

I called IRCC again, after 20 days, to follow-up on that note, and they replied, "We haven't heard anything yet", and suggested I wait a little longer. I was fully paranoid, and requested them to add a second note, on the same call. *Apparently, once they leave a note, they aren't allowed to add another note for the next 60 days. So, I called them after 60 days, the first rep worried me to death by saying, "you might not be eligible for an open work permit", and added, "you can choose to wait, but the outcome might not be positive", I freaked out and decided never to call IRCC again EVER. Although, I gathered some courage, and did some research. I found the link that assures my eligibility to get an open-work permit. So, I call IRCC yet once again, after a week of my last conversation. I explain this rep everything and was reassured about my eligibility for an open-work permit. Besides that, I also got the same rep to add my 2nd note (the one after 60 days of first note). All in all, here I am... feeling trapped in Canada.

I had planned summer visit to my friends and family in Chicago, Florida, and San Francisco - ended up cancelling all the flights with merely any credit or refund. Especially now, I'm desperate for the outcome of my application because, my grandma isn't keeping well, and I wanna see her before I lose her. I've worked very hard to build a life here for myself, and it hurts to think that the only option that's left now, is to leave everything behind, if I wanna see my grandma. I wish IRCC gave an alternative for travelling while one is on an "Implied Status". I truly hope the status comes thru asap.

Meanwhile, my employer has applied for an LMIA to support my Permanent Resident application. They've done the job posting and have interviewed eligible candidates for about 2 months. Unfortunately, the ones that my employer was interested in were on Work Permits. I guess, that's lucky for me, but seems unfair. What if my employer had found a citizen or PR? Would it imply to fire me as a desire to replace a foreign worker - funny how system works. I can't seem to see a clear line anymore between how much is genuine or pretend.

Anyway, please let me know if there's anyone who'd applied for a work permit, inside Canada on Feb 12th, 2023, or before, and is still waiting while feeling anxious.

Adejimi25

Star Member
Oct 5, 2023
Who has been able to reach CPC Edmonton office please. I got this email I don’t know if it works.

CIC-Edmonton@cic.gc.ca

Has anyone tried writing this email and was there any response?
Please we need to find a way to contact this office and get officers responses on our application

kpate273

Sep 15, 2023
PGWP Extension under Public Policy 2023 (Normal Application, Not Opt-In)

My Timeline:
Application submitted: August 1, 2023
Correspondence letter : October 16, 2023
Eligibility in-progress: October 16, 2023
Approved : October 17, 2023 (Updated in GC Key. Didn't get any email)

Got 18-months extension!

Reactions: andrews17

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
PGWP Extension under Public Policy 2023 (Normal Application, Not Opt-In)

My Timeline:
Application submitted: August 1, 2023
Correspondence letter : October 16, 2023
Eligibility in-progress: October 16, 2023
Approved : October 17, 2023 (Updated in GC Key. Didn't get any email)

Got 18-months extension!
Congratulations!

I'm in the same process. Applied on June 30th but no updates since.