+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

possible to get an LMO job in unskilled areas?

Murphy25

Aug 28, 2012
Hi all, I'm an American citizen, just arrived in Hamilton, Ontario to live with my Canadian girlfriend. I'm currently under a visitor visa. Our hope is to eventually apply for common law spouse visa. But I need to find a job to stay here for 12 months so now I'm preparing to start the job hunt. I have a Bachelor's degree in Film/Audio production, but I have been living abroad (teaching English) ever since I graduated uni so I don't have much work experience, aside from teaching and a couple part time jobs in retail and waiting tables.

My question: what are the odds of me finding a job that will offer an LMO in fields that don't require a lot of training or work experience, like service industry (waiter, dishwasher), general labor, hospitality, etc? is it totally impossible, or just difficult?

I am aware of the requirements for HRSDC to issue a positive LMO, like job listing for 2 weeks and proof of Canadian applicants being rejected. As I said I'm living in Hamilton, and I realize that there are probably a lot more jobs in Toronto so would be willing to commute if I have to.

thanks in advance, been browsing this forum for awhile, lots of good info.

JLJGR

Dec 30, 2012
interested in the reply as well- wondering if someone working at a store like indigo (not in a managerial position) could get an LMO?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
JLJGR said:
interested in the reply as well- wondering if someone working at a store like indigo (not in a managerial position) could get an LMO?
Unfortunately it's both unlikely that Indigo will be willing to apply for the LMO and unlikely that it would be approved since it would be relatively easy to find a Canadian with the qualifications required to fill such a role.

Having said that - you can always ask. No harm trying.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
JLJGR said:
Take this from someone in Canada trying to find a job for 18 months......... there are very few LMO jobs out there. The only jobs that reguarly hire with a LMO are nannies and some fast food (A&W and Subway are the only two I know, McDonalds and Wendys do not).

Working retail is considered unskilled and almost anyone can do that type of work. Finding a Canadian willing to do the job isn't hard.