+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

possible to cross border without visa for student?

hkkwan

Mar 30, 2012
Hello,

I applied the study visa online outside Canada 2 months ago, but I still got no response and update in the MyCIC. The school begins on May 5, I am now desperately thinking a way to solve this problem. I am wondering if I can enter the country as a visitor first, then arrange the accommodation and wait for my family mailing the visa to me.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can try to visit Canada using your HKSAR passport without a visa.

hkkwan

Mar 30, 2012
steaky said:
You can try to visit Canada using your HKSAR passport without a visa.
Is it possible if I come as a visitor staying there just to wait for my visa and then go to school?

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hkkwan said:
Is it possible if I come as a visitor staying there just to wait for my visa and then go to school?
but what if you don't get the visa? will you go back to your country or will you overstay?

hkkwan

Mar 30, 2012
Johnny31 said:
but what if you don't get the visa? will you go back to your country or will you overstay?
if I can come and enter as a visitor, but my application gets refused, then I may stay for a while to get some help from the CIC office and probably going back to my country very soon.
but I think my application would be approval, it's just to long I have already waited.
so can i do that?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Since your classes are starting next week, there is a very good chance CIC will be contacting you soon to tell you to postpone your studies to September and letting you know they won't be issuing a study permit for the May intake.

You can certainly come to Canada as a visitor and see what happens (make sure you don't start your classes until you have your study permit).

hkkwan

Mar 30, 2012
scylla said:
Since your classes are starting next week, there is a very good chance CIC will be contacting you soon to tell you to postpone your studies to September and letting you know they won't be issuing a study permit for the May intake.

You can certainly come to Canada as a visitor and see what happens (make sure you don't start your classes until you have your study permit).
so it is okay if i defer to Sep intake and stay in vancouver waiting my family to send me the visa?
if i receive the study visa, do i need to re-enter canada or inform the CIC office?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if i receive the study visa, do i need to re-enter canada or inform the CIC office?
Yes, you will have to do so. Beacsue what you get from VO is not a Study Permit which allows you to study in Canada but only a Letter of Introduction. You may get your SP ONLY from a border officer (and may be inland- I am not sure about that)