saka101

Mar 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
inlimbo2012 said:
Hope you have room for one more! I have been searching every forum around and someone showed me the way to this forum. Kind of relieved that others are in the same boat as me. I am a Canadian citizen and my husband is from Jamaica. We are both living in Barbados until he can finally come to Canada with me. Our application has been transfered to POS. Here is my timeline so far...we are using an immigration consultant out of Toronto,Ontario.

Application received CPC-M: June 6 2012
Sponsorship approved: Aug 8 2012
Application transferred to POS
Oct 15 email received with UCI number for part 2 (residency application.)
No update on CIC website..still says Application received.

And now we wait!
I'm glad u found you way to this site. I am sure u will find it more resourceful than the other one.

saka101

Mar 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cinnamongirl said:
@ MissDominica....I'm in a mixed race couple, I'm mixed myself with Indian, black and spanish and my husband is white. We got through pretty quickly, from the file being tranferred to POS in Jan. and PPR in May. I know of another couple where the wife is white and the husband black and they got through faster than us. I mean, this is just anec-data obviously but I don't think the issue of race really affects the POS offices' decision. I think the culture difference is more important than race and Caribbean cultures are pretty westernized as to not raise any eyebrows.
Wow that is extremely quick processing for POS.

MissDominica

Champion Member
May 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
(13-08-2012) 21-08-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
(28-11-2012)
File Transfer...
(22-10-2012) 10-10-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
(30-05-2012)
Interview........
(24-10-2013)
Passport Req..
04-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2014
LANDED..........
05-12-2014
Cinnamongirl said:
@ MissDominica....I'm in a mixed race couple, I'm mixed myself with Indian, black and spanish and my husband is white. We got through pretty quickly, from the file being tranferred to POS in Jan. and PPR in May. I know of another couple where the wife is white and the husband black and they got through faster than us. I mean, this is just anec-data obviously but I don't think the issue of race really affects the POS offices' decision. I think the culture difference is more important than race and Caribbean cultures are pretty westernized as to not raise any eyebrows.
Hey Cinnamongirl. That is AMAZING news for me to hear as I have been stressing a lot about this issue as I've read (on here) some horror stories where race was a HUGE deal for CIC determining LEGIT relationships as not genuine. So I was terrified. I would be the happiest girl in the world if we got through that fast... 4 months at POS, that is AMAZING! So happy for you guys and your friends as well. I'm applying common-law and mixed race, hopefully I get through fast like you. Thanks for posting and easing my mind a little.

Zouk Princesse

Aug 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
17-Jan-2012
Med's Request
VO requested med certificate extension from Ottawa 24-Jul-2012
Med's Done....
16-Jul-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-Sep-2012
LANDED..........
27-Sep-2012
Morlon said:
HEY GUYS SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE, MY APPLICATION STATUS:
All date is in 2012

SENT: MARCH 27
RECEIVED: MARCH 28
MEDICAL RECEIVED: MARCH 28
APPROVED FOR SPONSORSHIP: JUNE 29
APPLICATION SENT TO T&T: JUNE 29
Reply from POS on: September 28
Interview on; November 27

None of this wouldve have been possible without God, if ya'll really wants this, I say get on your knees and pray, give thnx 2-3 times a day, i'm amaze how fast this application is processing. God is good.
Great news! Good luck on your interview, let us know how it goes :)

As for the mixed race issue, not really a factor and especially not here. The Caribbean is the epitome of race mixing, almost all of us blood jumble up! But seriously, that's not really a red flag and would have no bearing on a well-presented application. Don't stress yourself, the process is stressful enough as it is :)

MissDominica

Champion Member
May 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
(13-08-2012) 21-08-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
(28-11-2012)
File Transfer...
(22-10-2012) 10-10-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
(30-05-2012)
Interview........
(24-10-2013)
Passport Req..
04-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2014
LANDED..........
05-12-2014
Zouk Princesse said:
As for the mixed race issue, not really a factor and especially not here. The Caribbean is the epitome of race mixing, almost all of us blood jumble up! But seriously, that's not really a red flag and would have no bearing on a well-presented application. Don't stress yourself, the process is stressful enough as it is :)
Wow. @ Zouk, I wish I had brought this up earlier... I just did not because it was a touchy issue. I have been EXTREMELY stressed and upset worrying about this. Reading stories like canadianwoman's has freaked me out to an extreme. I'm white/graduate student and my CL partner is black/no post-high school education, so I found a lot of similarities between my case and hers. Plus the fact that I applied CL instead of married. So I was fearing the worst: that we would be dinged for CL and for the different background/race. I mean, I guess we could still be in for a rough ride, but your encouragement has made me relax quite a bit. I was beyond upset to think that such a backwards issue (in today's age) could prevent us or delay us from being together. If it doesn't bother us and we have made our relationship last, it should not bother CIC. I'm really hoping you're right Zouk and Cinnamongirl. I'm gonna pray that you are... this process is hard enough, as you say, without worrying about stuff that should be a thing of the past keeping us apart.

Thank u for the peace of mind.

MissDominica

Champion Member
May 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
(13-08-2012) 21-08-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
(28-11-2012)
File Transfer...
(22-10-2012) 10-10-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
(30-05-2012)
Interview........
(24-10-2013)
Passport Req..
04-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2014
LANDED..........
05-12-2014
On a completely different note (and to get my mind onto future happiness), can you LAND with your partner? My partner has never been out of the caribbean. We have travelled to all sorts of islands there and done the flying thing, but his TRV to Canada was denied and we've never had a reason to go to the US or UK or anything, so he has never quite had to learn the stresses of flying internationally. And I could probably explain it to him, but for someone undergoing such a big change of moving from the Caribbean to Canada (and landing in Toronto! Oh brother), I feel it is not fair for me to expect that of him. He would not know how to do all the landing forms, immigration forms, and has never seen an airport with more than a couple gates. It would be torture to make him do that alone. I love him way too much to make his first day a nightmare.

I plan on going to Dominica to "get" him upon PR and we could fly back together. I think he'd have a much better experience that way. I'm wondering, though, if they would allow me to go with him to the landing appointment where they double check everything, declare the items he bought, etc. Because, while I believe he's totally capable of doing it, he will feel over-whelmed and freaked out by such a huge airport and all the people and the process and I'd like to be there to make sure it goes smoothly. He could be nervous and check the wrong box on the form and who knows. I just want to make sure he's ok, ya know? I know I sound like a psycho that is babying him... but I can't imagine putting him through that alone.

So, do you think it's allowed? Or will I have to wait in baggage and pray he doesn't have a stroke when he see his first big city/airport/visa officer, etc.

Thanks!

Cinnamongirl

Jun 15, 2012
MissDominica...you're so welcome! It's definitely hard to think your relationship might be judged on something as inconsequential as race but POS at least doesn't seem to have issues with that. It's funny, my friend's relationship is kind of similar to yours, with her having a graduate degree and her husband having completed high school...I hope you get through as quickly as them! :)

As far as the airport, someone else might have a more definite answer but you can definitely go into the waiting area just outside the interview rooms (which are open to the view and you can hear everything) though I'm not sure if you can go in with him...it won't hurt to ask though. But honestly, it's just about signing the COPR and verifying your mailing address, status etc so nothing hard! As far as the baggage check and B4 forms and such I'm not sure because they direct you to a totally different part of the normal route but I don't see why you couldn't go with him. I'm sure you already know this but just make sure you have everything organized with those forms as far as copies, pics of jewelry etc. so that the process is as smooth as possible and all you have to do there is sign! Honestly, he should be okay though...I'm like the most scatter-brained person ever...as my mom so nicely puts it, they gave me so much book sense that they didn't have any room left for common sense :( lol and I managed to navigate the process and the airport by myself. Best of luck to you in this whole thing!

quebecboy

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi folks , can one send documents to POS by attachment through case specific inquiry?. Has someone ever tried and got a responsed?.

Zouk Princesse

Aug 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
17-Jan-2012
Med's Request
VO requested med certificate extension from Ottawa 24-Jul-2012
Med's Done....
16-Jul-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-Sep-2012
LANDED..........
27-Sep-2012
MissDominica said:
On a completely different note (and to get my mind onto future happiness), can you LAND with your partner?
You're welcome! The way I've seen it handled from reading the CanLii cases is if there is a glaring red flag, the one that caused the doubt in the first place, then issues of race, culture, age, etc. can further compound the situation. However, when looking at a "normal" application, no major issues, then those things are not enough on their own to raise questions.

As for the landing, you can be with him through everything, except the little room after regular customs, I'm not sure what the rules are there. But as Cin girl said, it's a really straightforward signing of the COPR and in my husband's case, some sports conversation :) Your partner will be fine if he has to do that little piece on his own. The officers are very used to dealing with people who are totally new to all this, they'll walk him through if need be!

fromadistance

Oct 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-12-2012
Doc's Request.
11-09-2013 RPRF Request
AOR Received.
19-12-2012
File Transfer...
03-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2013
LANDED..........
24-11-2013
Hello to all,

I have been a lurker on this thread and site for quite some time. I am preparing my spouse's application to send to POS. Apart from the 1 year where we stayed in the same place. The problem is majority of our 7 yr relationship has been long distance. Is the going to be a problem? They refused him visitor visa to come visit so I have been doing all the visiting.

I read this thread top to bottom lol. Cinnamon girl how did you get through so fast if u dont mind me asking?

Thanks

inlimbo2012

Oct 30, 2012
Barbados
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2012
AOR Received.
15-10-2012
File Transfer...
08-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-05-2012
Interview........
17-01-2013
Fromadistance...I cant answer your question fully BUT...how long ago did you apply for his visitors visa? You would hope that when they look on his file they will see that you attempted to visit and that you were indeed in a relationship from that time. I too applied for a visitor visa for my husband about 4 years ago and he was denied. I dont think it should be a problem because even if you only spent 1 year together..you still have the rights to apply. I am sure someone might be able to answer you more thoroughly.

Question...we included my husbands son on the application and stated that he will be coming with us to Canada. His son is in Jamaica and we are in Barbados. Would they request us send his passport to POS as well? Or would they tell us to send it to Kingston? Also, by having my husbands son come with us will our application take longer to process?

I know I am getting ahead of myself..but its nice to dream! lol

MissDominica

Champion Member
May 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
(13-08-2012) 21-08-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
(28-11-2012)
File Transfer...
(22-10-2012) 10-10-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
(30-05-2012)
Interview........
(24-10-2013)
Passport Req..
04-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2014
LANDED..........
05-12-2014
Thanks for the advice Zouk and Cinnamon! I feel better now. @Cinnamon, I'm happy to hear someone out there has a case like ours. They must not be on here or I'd have found them by now lol.. I've been searching and haven't found anyone. Now I can rest a little more easy knowing they exist. Thank u! And the no room for common sense comment made me lol ;)

fromadistance

Oct 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-12-2012
Doc's Request.
11-09-2013 RPRF Request
AOR Received.
19-12-2012
File Transfer...
03-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2013
LANDED..........
24-11-2013
inlimbo2012 said:
Fromadistance...I cant answer your question fully BUT...how long ago did you apply for his visitors visa? You would hope that when they look on his file they will see that you attempted to visit and that you were indeed in a relationship from that time. I too applied for a visitor visa for my husband about 4 years ago and he was denied. I dont think it should be a problem because even if you only spent 1 year together..you still have the rights to apply. I am sure someone might be able to answer you more thoroughly.

Question...we included my husbands son on the application and stated that he will be coming with us to Canada. His son is in Jamaica and we are in Barbados. Would they request us send his passport to POS as well? Or would they tell us to send it to Kingston? Also, by having my husbands son come with us will our application take longer to process?

I know I am getting ahead of myself..but its nice to dream! lol
Hi thanks for responding,
I applied about 2 years ago.

fromadistance

Oct 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-12-2012
Doc's Request.
11-09-2013 RPRF Request
AOR Received.
19-12-2012
File Transfer...
03-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2013
LANDED..........
24-11-2013
I have been looking at the spreadsheet and noticed many ppl on here who applied through POS got through within 7-8 months range.

Cinnamongirl

Jun 15, 2012
fromadistance said:
Hello to all,

I have been a lurker on this thread and site for quite some time. I am preparing my spouse's application to send to POS. Apart from the 1 year where we stayed in the same place. The problem is majority of our 7 yr relationship has been long distance. Is the going to be a problem? They refused him visitor visa to come visit so I have been doing all the visiting.

I read this thread top to bottom lol. Cinnamon girl how did you get through so fast if u dont mind me asking?

Thanks
I think our case was just straightforward...first marriage, no kids, and on paper we're pretty similar in terms of age, religion etc. We definitely didn't do anything major with our application itself...in fact, when I found this website I kind of panicked because it seemed like everyone had such detailed applications with a million pics and had actually used extra pages for their relationship stories! (btw you know you're really in the heat of this when you cry because maybe now immigration thinks you don't really love your husband because you didn't even write more than a few lines about how you met :( )We did have a lot of proof of communication for the year that we were long distance though since we had pretty long phone convos everyday so I'm sure that helped, as well as pictures with each other's families and friends and doing different activities (dinner, hiking etc). But in the end I think we were just lucky to not have anything for them to think twice about, and maybe had a nice VO as well? I think a lot of people get through within reasonable times as POS, though there are a few that unfortunately have had a hard time