+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police and FBI certificates validity

hardtofind

Jan 30, 2009
I understand from the IM7000 that under Category1, i don't have to send the supporting docs(education,work experience etc),only the initial application.Is that so ??

I also had my police and FBI check done and are dated Nov '08.I will submit my application next week,Feb '09 so my question is will my Police and FBI background check still be valid?

this is what is stated in IM7000 for category 1
The certificate must have been issued no more than three months prior to submitting your application

thanks

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
You are right. No supporting documents needed to be sent to Sydney CIU. Police certificates should not be older than three months at the time of application which I persume is when you sign your application form.

pencilcut

Jan 18, 2009
that's where my problem also lies, when you read this part of the im700.

"Note: If you are using Category 1, do not submit your police certificates with your application. If your application is recommended for further assessment by CPC-Sydney, you will be required to submit the police certificates along with the full application to the Canadian Visa Office indicated on your application."

there are 2 dates of application.

1. when you submit your application to sydney.
2. when you submit your application again to your canada visa office with all documents.

what do you think? am i just wrong in my understanding of it?

any comments?

john5655

Jan 25, 2009
yep, pencilcut is right, EG7000 also says this...

Note: If you are using Category 1, do not submit your police certificates with your application. If your application is recommended for further assessment by CIU in Sydney, Nova Scotia Canada, you will be required to submit the police certificates along with the full application to the Canadian Visa Office indicated on your application.

my interpretation is that the PCC should be issued no longer than three months before it is "submitted" with your "application"

trying to assume otherwise is foolish

pencilcut

Jan 18, 2009
john,

that's my interpretation of it too.

but it has been discussed w/ IELTS discussions that the time of application is the time you submit it to sydney.

i'm still not sure which is correct, but just to be sure everything is valid and application not delayed i'll make sure that my IELTS is less than a year and PCC less than 3 months at time i submit my application again with the documents to my visa office.