Plz help I am zapped

Mail2kriti

Jan 26, 2013
Hi all,

Can some one help me and suggest while packing my stuff for canada what are

1) Must haves and must carry
2) Extra luggage or not required
3) Better to carry from india rather than buying from there

I am very very very confused as don't want to carry garbage as we gals always do while packing and then end up disposing it. I would want the guys who went few months back and realized it was a waste carrying this or wish wud have got this from india.

Please answer as per these 3 categories.

Looking forward to help as this forum has been very supportive even for my stupid questions

Thanks in advance
Kriti

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
this topic has beaten to death many times and then some more.

If you do a search, you will find what you are looking for. I myself posted one that went over a lot of similar things. "confessions of a student in Canada".

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
there was a post on this where this was discussed in detail.. cant seem to find it. I bet it was named something different.

But basically, take as less as you can in terms of clothes; a handful of pairs of jeans, t-shirts, shirts, sweaters, a few pairs of shoes. Unless of course you spend a lot of time deciding what to wear everyday, you dont need to carry a lot. also carry a jacket or two but get most of your winter clothes in Canada. The thing is that you feel much colder when you come here first but once your body gets used to the temperatures, your tolerance levels go up. Infact, get most of your clothes in Canada. If there is something you realize that you need from India, you can always get it from there later or get it couriered.

Whatever you can buy in India, you can get here. From clothes to food to household items. For e.g. Parle-G can be bought in walmart, so can lijjat papad!

Other than clothing, i guess make up stuff (since you are a gal) as this can be very expensive here (dont ask me how i know).

A laptop, a cell phone (if you wish), a camera; not necessary but these can be bought here too. If you wear specs, carry a couple of pairs as these are very expensive in canada. also, if you are on some medication, you would want that too.

that's about it!

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
1. Carry all documents.
2.No need.
3. If you're talking about clothes, they i will definitely suggest you to buy from Canada. Same quality and fashion is not available in India. It will be little expensive. But worth of it.

Good Luck.

Mail2kriti

Jan 26, 2013
Thanks a ton for the descriptive reply. 1 last question as me and my sister share the ipad and Lappy so she insisting me to buy from canada and I am telling her to buy from here and lemme take the existing.

Can you suggest is it better to buy one more from india and get it or buy from canada as a pad is a must have for me and Lappy I guess would b required for college stuff.

Also I wanna buy a new phone as I wud n need a new ph don't like the current smart ph shud i buy from here here........so again here or there?

Sorry for being so inquisitive.

Harry22

Mar 17, 2013
Visa Office......
VFS CHD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2013
IELTS Request
7.0(L-9.0, S-6.5, R-6.5, W5.5)
Passport Req..
01-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-04-2013
LANDED..........
26-04-2013
Mail2kriti said:
Thanks a ton for the descriptive reply. 1 last question as me and my sister share the ipad and Lappy so she insisting me to buy from canada and I am telling her to buy from here and lemme take the existing.

Can you suggest is it better to buy one more from india and get it or buy from canada as a pad is a must have for me and Lappy I guess would b required for college stuff.

Also I wanna buy a new phone as I wud n need a new ph don't like the current smart ph shud i buy from here here........so again here or there?

Sorry for being so inquisitive.
Buy any laptop with international warranty if you wana buy from India.. else buy from there.. you will get student discount.. if you buy laptop from Canada..

Regarding phone.. buy phone and then buy postpaid connection..

Thanks
--
Harry

Kashif995

Aug 3, 2012
India
Visa Office......
Delhi - Online
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2013
Med's Done....
22-11-2012
iPad is cheaper in Canada... But how are you going to carry your music and videos there if you're planning on buying a laptop in Canada as well. I hope you aren't planning on downloading gigs of pirated music during your initial weeks in a foreign country. ;)

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Electronics are cheaper in Canada compared to India. I would buy here.

As for cell phones, the major carriers are offering contracts to students as well. so you can get a cellphone for free/ cheap with a contract.

as for transferring your music, pictures, movies etc... zip them up and put them on a cloud sharing site. I believe icloud and google offer free gigs of space that you can upload to at home and access when you are in canada.