PLEASE HELP!! STUDY PERMIT FOR CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS

octhavio

Jan 4, 2012
BRAZIL
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Folks!

Can you please help with some questions regarding Student Visa?

The thing is, I just graduated in a 4-year Bachelor Degree in Business Administration here in Brazil and I want to continue my studies in Canada (also work and etc). I came across these Certificate Programs that really interested me, so I called the University of Toronto to ask a little bit more about these courses. They told me that they can issue me a letter of enrollment, which is needed for the student visa application. My question is, is that enough for a Student Visa? Do you guys know anyone who got a student visa for those kind of programs? Also, what about financial proof, how much money do I need to prove financial capabilities? The course shall take around one year and a half (18 months) to be concluded at least. What do you guys think?

Also, once I'm in Canada as student enrolled in a Certificate Program, can I apply for Work Permit to work fulltime or parttime?

Oh, it's also good to point out that I got once a Student Visa APplication reject, it was in 2010, I applied for a ESL program and they said that I didnt have enough proof of financial capabilities and that they weren't sure if I was gonna come back to Brazil. Is that relevant to this process?

Thank you guys very very much,

PS: I don't know if it's relevant, but I'm 22 and Brazilian.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm assuming this is a full time program.

You will need to show a bank balance that covers first year tuition + $10K living expenses + travel expenses.

You will be able to apply for an off campus work permit after you have completed six months of studies in Canada. The off campus work permit will allow you to work part time (max 20 hours per week).

You will have to show proof of strong ties to your home country and demonstrate that you have no plans to stay in Canada long term. Your previous study permit rejection could work against you in this regard.

You haven't given us any details about the Certificate Program - so it's difficult to say if these studies make sense after the completion of a BBA or if CIC might view this as a course mismatch.

octhavio

Jan 4, 2012
BRAZIL
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First of all, thank you very much for your reply scylla

the program is this one:

http ://learn.utoronto.ca/courses-programs/business-professionals/certificates/certificate-in-international-business-2

what can I do to prove my strings to Brazil? Because I don't own a car or property here.

JackB

Star Member
Jan 3, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
About the work permit , after 6 months you can work off campus part time , 20 -21 hours a week, before that you can only do some jobs in the campus , if the university has jobs available.

About home ties , is difficult , your dad owns a company? business he can put you as a partner or successor of the company also some really good friend with a company , an uncle, or if he has some property , you can say that's your heritage.

never give up , always there is a way

octhavio

Jan 4, 2012
BRAZIL
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You guyz are awesome!

Well, my dad does not own a company nor any sort of property of business, I come from a poor family. Even though, my trip is going to be funded by myself + my parents, cause I plan to save around 8k$ + they're going to send me around 500$ a month to help with the costs, I don't think these are reasonable proof of financial security for CIC's standards.

I have a cousin (son of my aunt, ORLY?!) whom is -long story short- rich. He owns a couple of companies and some properties like houses and etc, here in Brazil. I am thinking about asking him if I can put his name on my application as a sponsor so my application gets more consistent. Can I do that? aren't they gonna think something is up?

Also, now regarding 'strings' to my homecountry. I had an idea:

He owns a company here that is an office of a major american insurance company, I thought that maybe I could say that he wants me to go to Canada to study so I can work for him when I get back, I could also say that we chose Canada because it's an english speaking country and that would improve my business english vocabulary.

What do you guys think about all that?

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
octhavio said:
You guyz are awesome!

Well, my dad does not own a company nor any sort of property of business, I come from a poor family. Even though, my trip is going to be funded by myself + my parents, cause I plan to save around 8k$ + they're going to send me around 500$ a month to help with the costs, I don't think these are reasonable proof of financial security for CIC's standards.

I have a cousin (son of my aunt, ORLY?!) whom is -long story short- rich. He owns a couple of companies and some properties like houses and etc, here in Brazil. I am thinking about asking him if I can put his name on my application as a sponsor so my application gets more consistent. Can I do that? aren't they gonna think something is up?

Also, now regarding 'strings' to my homecountry. I had an idea:

He owns a company here that is an office of a major american insurance company, I thought that maybe I could say that he wants me to go to Canada to study so I can work for him when I get back, I could also say that we chose Canada because it's an english speaking country and that would improve my business english vocabulary.

What do you guys think about all that?
Hi,

All you need is;

1. A "good" academic record,
2. A good IELTS score,
3. A "competitive" admission which must be "relevant" to your prior studies.
4. First year tuition fees (as a minimum amount).
5. CAD 10,000 as a proof of financial capacity.

"Just forget about other things".

octhavio

Jan 4, 2012
BRAZIL
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
this program that I want to take does not require a bachelor degree (even though I have one), in order to apply there is not gonna be need to present my diploma or IELTS score, because it's just a certificate program.

Do you think I need or could attach my 'certificate of conclusion' of my bachelor in Business Adm and/or take a IELTS test (which I don't have btw)? If yes, my diploma is going in portuguese, do I need to translate it to english? I don't think so, right? because i'm applying here in Brazil's office and every document that I have is in portuguese.

Problemm about the 10$k is that I'm not sure that I'll have it by the time I apply for the course, because my mom is going to send monthly some money. Im saving up too, but I think that I'll have only like 5 to 7k$ tops by the time I apply.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
octhavio said:
this program that I want to take does not require a bachelor degree (even though I have one), in order to apply there is not gonna be need to present my diploma or IELTS score, because it's just a certificate program.

Do you think I need or could attach my 'certificate of conclusion' of my bachelor in Business Adm and/or take a IELTS test (which I don't have btw)? If yes, my diploma is going in portuguese, do I need to translate it to english? I don't think so, right? because i'm applying here in Brazil's office and every document that I have is in portuguese.

Problemm about the 10$k is that I'm not sure that I'll have it by the time I apply for the course, because my mom is going to send monthly some money. Im saving up too, but I think that I'll have only like 5 to 7k$ tops by the time I apply.
Hi,

You should refer this ONLY www.canadainternational.gc.ca/brazil-bresil/study-etudie/study_permit-permis_etude.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

octhavio

Jan 4, 2012
BRAZIL
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alright! So I should only care for the requirements of the uni that i'm applying to regarding language capabilities and etc right?

Let's see if I got it right. Say that the program that I want to take doesnt require any kind of certificates of english skills or anything, then I shouldn't worry about those things when applying for the VISA, right? I should only care about the documents listed on CIC website?

thanks enfield, you've been very helpful bro!

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
octhavio said:
I should only care about the documents listed on CIC website?
Hi,

1. For Visa: You should refer "CHC website of Brazil". www.canadainternational.gc.ca/brazil-bresil/study-etudie/study_permit-permis_etude.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

2. For admission/IELTS: You should refer 'Admission Requirement' webpage of your school's website.

buingotnhulac

Star Member
Dec 6, 2011
Vietnam
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Police Clearance recieved by VO on 07-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-07-2015
File Transfer...
06-03-2015
Med's Request
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
17-12-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
05-02-2016
LANDED..........
06-2016
enfield said:
5. CAD 10,000 as a proof of financial capacity.

"Just forget about other things".
why that? Can you explain? I think it should be covered Fee +tuition +fee for accomodation +food. Around 25,000 CAD

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
buingotnhulac said:
why that? Can you explain? I think it should be covered Fee +tuition +fee for accomodation +food. Around 25,000 CAD
Hi,

1. It's a requirement of CIC Canada to show CAD 10,000 (ONLY living expenses) as a proof of minimum financial capacity. (with one extra person, you should add CAD 4,000).
2. You also need to show 1st year tuition fee (as a minimum).