+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help/Guide on money Management in Canada for MEng Program.

Faizanrao

Star Member
Sep 28, 2012
Hello!
I am planning to apply for MEng Mechanical engineering(course based) in top universities of Canada.I have been accepted in UVic which i can easily afford but now,I am targeting UBC,McGill,Queens.(Calgary,Alberta,Waterloo,McMaster is not offering MEng to international applicants).

UBC fee= 18000 CAD
Queens univesity = 16500 CAD
McGill University = 17200 CAD

MY BUDGET= 20000 CAD Maximum in which I have to manage tuition plus my expenses for initial 6 months.
1.Is there any possibility of managing or somehow making my way through it?
2.Is it possible to complete my course requirements in 1 year so that I avoid next year fee?.

please I need urgent suggestions and advices by senior members here.

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VFS Makati; paper)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
Hi Faizanrao,

I'm also trying to get admission at McGill MSEng - ECE. This might not really be answer to your question, but what's your GPA and/or profile? What do you think are your chances at McGill and others?

Thanks, :)

Faizanrao

Star Member
Sep 28, 2012
Hi!
I have answered you query on your posted thread :)
your chances are really good.my profile is not as strong as yours :)

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
Hi man!

Thanks for the response. I shall monitor this thread as I also have not figured out my finances yet. I'm probably going to borrow money from my parents as a last resort. Thanks for the response! :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
When you apply for the study visa, you'll need to show a bank balance that covers first year tuition, first year living expenses ($10K) and travel expenses. So if first year tuition is $18K - then you'll need to be able to show a bank balance of at least $30K to be approved.

You'll have to contact the university to find out if you can complete the course requirements in one year. None of us can answer that question.

Faizanrao

Star Member
Sep 28, 2012
UBC fee is 17k for MEng Mechanical Engineering which I can pay.
I need to be guided by someone in sorting out the finances since I can only pay a tuition fee of 1 year only.I will complete MEng in 1 year so is it possible to complete 9 courses plus a project in a year?I heard people do it in Waterloo.No idea about UBC.
MY PLAN:
1.Pay 1 year fee.take 3 courses per term to complete degree requirements in a year along with a project.
2.take 5k CAD along with me initially and some how sort of my expenses by doing part time job.is it possible?

P.S I have no problem in showing Bank statement of tuition fee plus expenses.money is there but I cannot afford to spend more than 21k due to some personal reasons.

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
Faizanrao,

I think that's possible. The answer might vary between universities and so you might have to look it up in their website. I have read in McGill that 12 units is considered a regular academic load and that any student taking a load higher than 18 credits would have to ask for special permission. Maybe you should contact a person from the department directly. I'm pretty sure you're not the first one to have this concern. I have read from another university that a student can and have finished a 2-year program in 1.5 years. So I say, send an email and ask directly. :)

You're lucky that money is not an issue. My last resort, when it comes down to it, would be student loan. But first, I need to get offered an admission. :)

Faizanrao

Star Member
Sep 28, 2012
Thank you so much.
yes,I have inquired about it from mechanical department of UBC.I hope I get their reply back in 2-3 days.
yes,getting admission is also an uphill task which has to be done also but I am just estimating whether I would be able to manage it or not because If I cannot manage then there is no point of applying there wasting my precious 150$,valuable time and priceless mind relaxation mood. ;)

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
I agree. :)

Anyway, please update me with your progress. I'll do the same. :)

Best of luck!

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
Faizanrao said:
Thank you so much.
yes,I have inquired about it from mechanical department of UBC.I hope I get their reply back in 2-3 days.
yes,getting admission is also an uphill task which has to be done also but I am just estimating whether I would be able to manage it or not because If I cannot manage then there is no point of applying there wasting my precious 150$,valuable time and priceless mind relaxation mood. ;)
Bro, I got admission at McGill. I was emailed by my thesis supervisor that he recommended me to the Electrical and Computer Engineering department for Masters. Have you heard from UBC yet? :D

Faizanrao

Star Member
Sep 28, 2012
that's great!you deserved it man!. :) :) :)

Yeah I have got a supervisor in UBC so I hope I will hear a positive response within a month from UBC. hoping for the best.

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
Faizanrao said:
that's great!you deserved it man!. :) :) :)

Yeah I have got a supervisor in UBC so I hope I will hear a positive response within a month from UBC. hoping for the best.
Thank you bro! You too! Hoping the best for you! :D :)

robinforgood

Jan 27, 2014
Hi..

I have been accepted by one of the faculties of UVIC for Meng Mechanical Engineering.
-Is there a chance for me to get accepted for the program.
-Is there anything i should be worrying or need to take care of about the admission or VISA.

Kindly respond

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
robinforgood said:
Hi..

I have been accepted by one of the faculties of UVIC for Meng Mechanical Engineering.
-Is there a chance for me to get accepted for the program.
-Is there anything i should be worrying or need to take care of about the admission or VISA.

Kindly respond
Hey robin! What's your profile? I suggest you shoot an email to a POI detailing your intentions for grad school. A CV wouldn't hurt too. :) All the best!