+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help: didn’t declare common law when I applied for the PGWP

lxx260905

Dec 17, 2020
Hi,

please help me with this question that I’m really worried about.

I am living with my girlfriend after she got her PR. So her PR application is fine.

But after living together for 2 years, I didn’t declare our relationship as common law on my PGWP application. And I got three years work permit.

Now I applied family sponsorship as common law on April, 2020.

I am just wondering is this one kind of misrepresentation? I only see misrepresentation by sponsors on CIC, so I don’t know if this really matters.

thank you all!

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Thanks, any recommendations?
Hi,

I am living with my girlfriend after she got her PR. So her PR application is fine.

But after living together for 2 years, I didn’t declare our relationship as common law on my PGWP application. And I got three years work permit.

I am just wondering is this one kind of misrepresentation? I only see misrepresentation by sponsors on CIC, so I don’t know if this really matters.

thank you all!
Curious as to why you didn’t declare your common law relationship on your app? Dual intent is legal.

lxx260905

Dec 17, 2020
Curious as to why you didn’t declare your common law relationship on your app? Dual intent is legal.
because I didn’t know it until I applied family sponsorship. In my homeland, no common law partner status. So I really don’t know that. Sigh. So I don’t know if I need to write an explanation letter or just leave it.

bian07

May 19, 2017
I think you should write at least a letter of explanations. Not every country has common law, honest mistakes like this can happen.

Reactions: Joeydocs

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
Hi,

thank you all!
Hey what did you do? Did you submit a webform explaining the mistake?

I am in a similar situation -- applied for a trv renewal after we became common law (but i wasnt aware) and we applied for pr together as common law (cec).

sancanada2417

Jan 19, 2024
could you please explain what you did? In a similar situation. Thank you

Hi,

thank you all!

sancanada2417

Jan 19, 2024
Hi can you tell me what happened? I am in an exact same situation.

Hey what did you do? Did you submit a webform explaining the mistake?

I am in a similar situation -- applied for a trv renewal after we became common law (but i wasnt aware) and we applied for pr together as common law (cec).

m1lky

Mar 28, 2024
Hi can you tell me what you are doing? I am in an exact same situation.
Hi @samcanada2417, we also mistakenly didn't declare common-law during our individual TRV applications in the past, and are applying for PR together under CEC now. What are you planning on doing, and did you receive any helpful advice? Thank you!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi @samcanada2417, we also mistakenly didn't declare common-law during our individual TRV applications in the past, and are applying for PR together under CEC now. What are you planning on doing, and did you receive any helpful advice? Thank you!
Hopefully, your plan is to declare the error in the PR application! It's your only obvious choice, whilst you wait for word that you will not have an issue with misrepresentation.

Good luck!

Reactions: Buletruck

m1lky

Mar 28, 2024
Hopefully, your plan is to declare the error in the PR application! It's your only obvious choice, whilst you wait for word that you will not have an issue with misrepresentation.

Good luck!
Hi @Ponga , we have already made our EE profile together. Yes, we are planning to attach a letter of explanation once we get an ITA. Do you recommend doing it sooner, and if so how can we do that?

We were mainly looking for tips on how to apologize, any pointers on how to write the letter and how long/thorough it needs to be in terms of timelines and stuff?