+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Plan to move to Canada using Express Entry!

AccessWeb

Apr 13, 2017
Hi All,

We are a small family of 3 and are looking to move to Canada. I've done some research and have gone through the express entry documents though I've some questions and seek help from all of you here.

I'm a bachelors in computer engineering and have a work experience of around 11 years in the IT industry. I've send my engineering document for an ECA to WES and is now preparing for IELTS. Both myself & my wife will be giving IELTS in sometime.

I just did a rough calculation of our points guesstimating our points in IELTS and have considered points which is coming to total of approx 401. This looks to me on the lower side.

I'm trying to understand how can I increase my points. In the documents I could see the following:
-- secure a job offer:Is it easier to get a job offer from sitting outside of canada and in the process of express entry? I'll be soon anyway floating my resume in canada job sites or any other idea will be great.
-- contact provinces: Can I contact provinces even after trying to be in FSW program?
-- improve language score: currently I've considered full score for both of us as we are very comfortable with english. Hoping to get good score here.
-- improve education: Not sure if I can get points for my 10+2 as well after considering points for my highest degree? The points calculator shows for highest degree. If I can, then I need to arrange for this as well.
-- improve education: I haven't considered points for my wife's graduation as we are not in our country now and is living outside. So little difficult to get the required documentation unless we make a trip back to get this done. Also I see even if I consider, it is giving me only 8 points so not sure how big a difference it will make?
-- gain more relevant work experience: Have 11 years of experience as computer programmer and have worked in many countries. Any ides on how to gain more points here?

I was thinking being in the IT industry and doing good work for 11 years with good education should suffice my points but looks like little low and i'm little disappointed now because I'm assuming points of around 450+ should get you an ITA.

So looking to hear from everyone here on what do you think about my situation and how can I proceed from here. Please suggest! Please let me know if anymore information from my side will help you to help me.

Really appreciate your help in this regard.

Cheers!
AW

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - 401 is on the low side.

- Generally it's extremely difficult to secure an LMIA supported job offer. Most employers aren't willing to go through the LMIA process.
- You can apply to the provinces or try to be selected by the province as well as applying through Express Entry.
- Yes, improving your English score is always an option. Hopefully you are spending time studying and taking practice exams and aren't assuming you will achieve a high score just because you know English well (this is a common mistake made by those with English as a first language). To achieve a high score, you need to be familiar with how the exam is structured and how marks are awarded.

AccessWeb

Apr 13, 2017
Hi Scylla,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm preparing for the IELTS and not just taking my familiarity with the language for granted to score well in the exam.

Can you please also throw some light on my other queries? I'm also struggling to understand if I'm missing anything to score more points or how other people get more points? This is because even for spouse education, I can try & get the documents but even then I see I can get only 8 points which does not make a big difference. And if getting job offer is getting difficult then it should be for most of the people.

I don't think most people wanting to come to Canada will know French to score points in that area of will have Canada education or work experience then how are they getting more points?

Any idea on what points level are getting the ITAs?

Please also let me know what other things I can do to increase my points. Please also note, I've used the crs tool link to check my rough points. Please let me know if there are more things or questions asked in real scenario where I can expect to get more points.

Thanks once again!

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AccessWeb said:
Hi,

Can anyone please suggest something on this? I'm eagerly waiting to hear!

Thanks!
11 years experience - im assuming your age is on the wrong side or in mid 30s... that makes a big difference also... if you had masters degree then you can get upto 40 points extra.

if there is no other option to increase score, you can always look at provincial nomination option... there is a very big thread specifically around each PNP and process for the same.

if your spouse has >3 yrs work experience, i would suggest her to be primary applicant instead of you (assuming she is younger than you) that will increase points for age also.

but you should look at getting both IELTS and ECA done for your spouse - grab every point you can and hope for the best... remember - every single point matters

good luck

spth38

Jan 11, 2014
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2017
Doc's Request.
19-06-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
08-06-2017
Passport Req..
30-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2017
LANDED..........
19-10-2017
Can you use the CRS calculator and show us what specific points you got? Then we can tell how you can improve.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

AccessWeb

Apr 13, 2017
Hello Guys,

Really appreciate your responses.

Yes, I'm 32 at the moment and does not hold a masters degree but only a bachelors degree in computer science & engineering.

Yes, my spouse is younger than me but she has got only 2 years of work experience it is getting a little more points though. Unfortunately not all university are easy to deal with in India and I'm trying to get the required documents for my wife's bachelors attested with the exam controller.

I'm also trying to understand the PNP process so that it gives me a fair idea if there is a chance that I can get a PNP while in the express entry pool which can also increase my points to get an ITA.

I might be wrong above as I'm yet to understand all the processes. Would really appreciate you can suggest some options regarding PNP or maybe work permit that I can avail to be in Canada and then gradually process the PR.

Really appreciate your time & help.

Cheers!

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
You and your wife should focus on IELTS right now and try to get at least CLB 9.

You can check the requirement for IELTS CLB 9 from below link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/language/charts.asp

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AccessWeb said:
Hello Guys,

Yes, I'm 32 at the moment and does not hold a masters degree but only a bachelors degree in computer science & engineering.

Yes, my spouse is younger than me but she has got only 2 years of work experience it is getting a little more points though. Unfortunately not all university are easy to deal with in India and I'm trying to get the required documents for my wife's bachelors attested with the exam controller.

I'm also trying to understand the PNP process so that it gives me a fair idea if there is a chance that I can get a PNP while in the express entry pool which can also increase my points to get an ITA.

I might be wrong above as I'm yet to understand all the processes. Would really appreciate you can suggest some options regarding PNP or maybe work permit that I can avail to be in Canada and then gradually process the PR.

Cheers!
if you are 32, and you have a bachelors degree, you should be around 410s if you get CLB9 across all in IELTS...

CLB 9 means 8,7,7,7 in listening, reading, writing, speaking...
if you increase to CLB 10 across all (8.5, 8.0, 7.5, 7.5) then you can move upto 425

if you have trouble getting transcripts through indian universities for ECA, you can use some agents...

2 that i have used are clear transcripts and all india transcripts...

both charge a decent amount , but they do get the job done mostly :)

good luck

jackdawn

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2016
thestunner316 said:
if you are 32, and you have a bachelors degree, you should be around 410s if you get CLB9 across all in IELTS...

CLB 9 means 8,7,7,7 in listening, reading, writing, speaking...
if you increase to CLB 10 across all (8.5, 7.5, 7.5, 7.5) then you can move upto 425

if you have trouble getting transcripts through indian universities for ECA, you can use some agents...

2 that i have used are clear transcripts and all india transcripts...

both charge a decent amount , but they do get the job done mostly :)

good luck
CLB 10 reading is 8 i guess

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
AccessWeb said:
Would really appreciate you can suggest some options regarding PNP or maybe work permit that I can avail to be in Canada and then gradually process the PR.
Work permits tend to be very difficult to obtain. You would first have to find an employer in Canada willing to offer you a full time job. As a next step, that employer would then have to obtain an approved LMIA (this process takes months and requires the employer to first advertise the job to prove no Canadians could be found for the role). If the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a work permit.

So if you want to go the work permit route, the first step would be to secure a job offer in Canada.

Apr 18, 2017
AccessWeb said:
Hello Guys,

Cheers!
Try calculating your CRS score in the following ways and, check in which case you get the best CRS scores:

1.Calculate your CRS score - You being a single applicant (Wife not accompanying you to Canada)
2.Calculate your CRS score - Your wife being a single applicant (You are not accompanying her to Canada)
3.Calculate your CRS score - Joint application (You being the Primary applicant and your wife being the secondary applicant)
4.Calculate your CRS score - Joint application (Your wife being the Primary applicant and you being the secondary applicant)

In all the above-mentioned Scenarios complete family information should be provided (In order to avoid Mis-representation)

I am assuming that you child is dependent (Younger than 18 years), in that case, the child will automatically get the visa.

Dynamics of calculating CRS score depends upon a lot of factors, so don't rule out any option yet.

Few Examples -:

1.Your wife might get a higher CRS score than you, if she is losing points on the basis of her work experience, she will gain more points because of her younger age (assuming that she is younger than you).

IELTS score will also play an important role in getting a better CRS score.

Apply all the permutations and combinations and choose wisely the best option.

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Age is crucial in Express Entry. If you are 32 and she is 27, it is a 15 point difference. The day after you turn 33, if you have not received an invitation, you will drop another 5 points.

If you have 3+ years of work experience, 1 more will not make any difference.

My suggestion is wait until your wife completes 3 years of work experience and then apply with her as primary applicant.

In short:
- improve IELTS - no go since you are already considering top scores
- learn some French and take the TEF - doable but it takes time (that can get you up to 22 points)
- improve education (if you think you won't be able to get an invitation in 2017, considering taking anther post-graduation, like a 1-year MBA)
- improve your wife's work experience

I will tell you my story. Me and my husband decide to move to Canada around August 2016. He has a MBA and I was finishing mine. Because he is 2 years older than me, we applied under my name. We both scored top on IELTS. Still, because of our age (I am 36), I was afraid our points would not be enough (my benchmark was 2015-2016, when the lowest CRS score to get an invitation was 452). So I started taking private lessons of French, a language I was familiar with but hadn't spoke it in over 15 years. Took the TEF and secured another 14 points. Finally got my ECA in March 2017, applied and got an invitation. So from deciding to move to actually applying to Express Entry it took us 6-7 months.

That's CIC link with detailed scoring.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp#a4