+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical presence

zoozi77

Star Member
Aug 28, 2017
Toronto
Hi,
As it states in cic website pertaining to the citizenship's physical presence requirement
Days spent in Canada before becoming a permanent resident (as a temporary resident or protected person) within 5 years of applying for citizenship, count as ½ days, up to a maximum of 1 year (365 days).

What i understood is that before you become a permanent resident you have maximum days number of 720 days since it's 1/2 day of one year period
And if you exceed this time frame before obtaining the PR days will not be count towards the presence requirement
Correct me if I am wrong.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
As it states in cic website pertaining to the citizenship's physical presence requirement
Days spent in Canada before becoming a permanent resident (as a temporary resident or protected person) within 5 years of applying for citizenship, count as ½ days, up to a maximum of 1 year (365 days).

What i understood is that before you become a permanent resident you have maximum days number of 720 days since it's 1/2 day of one year period
And if you exceed this time frame before obtaining the PR days will not be count towards the presence requirement
Yes - that's right.

szaib002

Star Member
Jan 28, 2018
Hi,

720? Isn't it 365 days maximum?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
720? Isn't it 365 days maximum?
You can claim for 365 maximum days credit prior to becoming a PR. So this is up to 730 full physical days / 2 = 365 days credit towards the 1095 days for citizenship. Only physical days in Canada in the 5 years preceding the application count so if applying today 7/12/2018 then only back to 7/12/2013.

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
I waited for my claim to be accepted for 5 years!! From Sept. 2012 to Nov. 2017. All of this time is NOT counted?!!! :(

I became a convention refugee on Nov. 9, 2017.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
All of this time is NOT counted?
Unfortunately not. Also note that time spent before your refugee claim is accepted doesn't count at all. Only the time after you become a recognized refugee is counted. In your case you can only count the days in Canada from November 9, 2017 towards citizenship.

Reactions: live&love

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Unfortunately not. Also note that time spent before your refugee claim is accepted doesn't count at all. Only the time after you become a recognized refugee is counted. In your case you can only count the days in Canada from November 9, 2017 towards citizenship.
That is so unfair. Five years of waiting had me dead and probably another 3 years to get reunited with my family is absolutely killing me. I left my family as a child and now I have 2 year old child. Huge change in my life was not shared with my loved ones unfortunately.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Perhaps from your perspective, but those are the conditions imposed by the country that gave you refuge when you needed it. Probably better than the alternatives offered in your home country I suspect! Try and show a modicum of gratitude.
I am so grateful for Canada and always will be, i dont think there is anybody in this world that loves Canada more than me, cuz without it, I’d be dead by now. However, us human beings always want the better, and being away from ur loved ones for 8-9 years is absolutely not an easy thing and it could lead people to go crazy. Exactly just like me right now.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I am so grateful for Canada and always will be, i dont think there is anybody in this world that loves Canada more than me, cuz without it, I’d be dead by now. However, us human beings always want the better, and being away from ur loved ones for 8-9 years is absolutely not an easy thing and it could lead people to go crazy. Exactly just like me right now.
Everyone here understands how you feel as a human being, but, when you call the country who provided you safety "unfair" you are showing ungratefulness. What about the country you fled from? What did they do to keep you and your family safe and intact? Before you spout words like unfair about Canada, think about where you came from. No matter the length of time it took for Canada to approve my wife's sponsorship of us, I never once thought of Canada as unfair. We are grateful to have the opportunity for a better life here.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You do have to option of travelling using an RTD to a 3rd country

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You think having a different citizenship will be safe to travel back to your home country?

If there is any danger there, having a different passport won't change it. Well, at least I won't risk this. I think meeting at a third country may be a way to do it.

szaib002

Star Member
Jan 28, 2018
Perhaps from your perspective, but those are the conditions imposed by the country that gave you refuge when you needed it. Probably better than the alternatives offered in your home country I suspect! Try and show a modicum of gratitude.
We are all grateful. But the Canadian government should have better policies and procedures. We contribute to Canada as well and have every right to demand better services and point out things that should be better.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
This maybe true. If you feel strongly on how the Canadian government can amend these regulations to better assist these people the Canadian government, and people, gave refuge to in their time of need, then reach out to your MP and suggest, or as you put it, "demand" that the laws passed by Parliament should be changed and or amended to better suit your needs now and for those requiring refuge in the future when their lives are in danger. .Or write a letter to the IRB, or Immigration department expressing your unhappiness with policy or the Immigration Act is, but for now, that is just the way the system works. Maybe if the government changes next year with the election, they will take the opportunity to change the Immigration Act, for better or worse. New governments typically brings in new policies reflecting upon the mood of the voting population

Last edited:
Reactions: Buletruck and jddd