+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refusal - What to do next

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
I was full time student throughout my programme but I had two course left to clear to graduate. To graduate I had no other choice but complete those two courses. If the case is now more clear to you. I didn’t intentionally left them courses or take them later.

Hello Sagar Tandel,

If you were approved a study permit as part-time before arriving in Canada, despite taking 9 credits in your second semester to be full-time, you are still not eligible for the PGWP because you already took 6 credits in your first semester and you failed to notify IRCC with the necessary evidence that you are now studying as a full-time.

You can consider enrolling for another program as a full-time international student or get an employer who can issue you a job offer and apply for LMIA on your behalf. You can also give applying for a reconsideration a shot, but your chances are slim.

– JS

hzhz2626

Sep 13, 2021
Hello guys,
Has anyone received any decision on reconsideration appeal submitted in the month of September?
Please specify the timelines.
Thank you!
I submitted the web form for reconsideration on Sep.29th 2021. But until now, still got no response. Does anyone get the response of web form submitted on Sept? Also, I called ircc today morning, they said due to afghanistan issues, they put all web forms, that are not in priority list, on hold. She said the officer would not see this web form at this time. But she do not know when the officer will start seeing it. I feel so hopeless.

Vonput

Star Member
Jun 9, 2018
ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
I’ll advise anyone that was refused their PGWP to go flagpole at the border. I applied for my PGWP in June 2021 but received a refusal in September. It was because I had to be withdrawn in Fall 2019 due to a car accident & I didn’t include this stuff in my first application. So I took all my medical documentation and school letters and went to the Vancouver border and got my PGWP. Took like 2 hours total.

scilla

May 6, 2021
I’ll advise anyone that was refused their PGWP to go flagpole at the border. I applied for my PGWP in June 2021 but received a refusal in September. It was because I had to be withdrawn in Fall 2019 due to a car accident & I didn’t include this stuff in my first application. So I took all my medical documentation and school letters and went to the Vancouver border and got my PGWP. Took like 2 hours total.
you need a valid visa right?

Vonput

Star Member
Jun 9, 2018
ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
you need a valid visa right?
You don’t need a US visa or a Canadian TRV foil in your passport. As long as your student permit hasn’t yet expired you can always go flagpole. My student permit expires on Nov 30th so I had time to go do it. It’s a pretty easy process if you got all your documentation.

scilla

May 6, 2021
You don’t need a US visa or a Canadian TRV foil in your passport. As long as your student permit hasn’t yet expired you can always go flagpole. My student permit expires on Nov 30th so I had time to go do it. It’s a pretty easy process if you got all your documentation.
yeah I meant Canadian visa cos mines expired but i think my study permit is still valid

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
This is interesting! How did you do it?

You know, you need to exit Canada and re-enter. This means you need to have a Covid-19 -ve test. Thats a lot of trouble because that -Ve test cann't come from within Canada and need to come from USA!

How was your experience? Can you elaborate? What documents you took? How much was the crowd at Douglas border?

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
yeah I meant Canadian visa cos mines expired but i think my study permit is still valid
Consult a competent consultant or a lawyer before you attempt the flagpole. Here is why

1. The reason you can enter Canada again with even a TRV is this (R 190.3(f)) : https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-28.html#h-688565
You need to be : Coming from USA, have not travelled anywhere else than USA
  • (f) to re-enter Canada following a visit solely to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, if they
    • (i) held a study permit or a work permit that was issued before they left Canada on such a visit or were authorized to enter and remain in Canada as a temporary resident, and
    • (ii) return to Canada by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it;
IF the officer over there questions the fact that you entered ONLY USA you will be in trouble. If you do not have TRV that will be a giant mess. Its a risky maneuver.

2. R198 allows you to apply for WP. ONLY if R190 applies on you.

3. Lately, requirement of re-entry includes a -ve Covid Test before leaving USA.... This means, you need to have one at you. Otherwise you may be denied both flagpoling and re-entry. And you will be in soup.

Reference :
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/visa-validity-expiry-dates.html
https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/about-temporary-resident-visa-trv

airforce1907

Dec 23, 2018
How can you be full time with only 2 courses in one semester? You said in your post that you were part-time. Now you say you are full-time.
it depends on the school. For instance, my school has mandatory spring / summer intersessions that can have only one course, and i will still be considered to be full time

hzhz2626

Sep 13, 2021
Hi guys, I just received approval for my post-graduation work permit reconsideration today! I'm extremely haaaaaaapy! The last two months were such a horror!!! I was so worried and stressful! But now like in the heaven!!!!!

Here is my timeline:
June 15th, 2021 - PGWP application submitted
September 11th, 2021 - Refusal letter received
September 29th, 2021 - Reconsideration web form submitted
October 23th, 2021 - Reapplied for the new PGWP; & Submitted a new webform regarding reconsideration
November 3rd, 2021 - I was told that the refused application file is in process again.
November 4th, 2021 - It was approved!

(From October 15th to 30th, I almost call IRCC every workday for updating)

Reactions: Geezg and Flyfa

airforce1907

Dec 23, 2018
Hi guys, I just received approval for my post-graduation work permit reconsideration today! I'm extremely haaaaaaapy! The last two months were such a horror!!! I was so worried and stressful! But now like in the heaven!!!!!

Here is my timeline:
June 15th, 2021 - PGWP application submitted
September 11th, 2021 - Refusal letter received
September 29th, 2021 - Reconsideration web form submitted
October 23th, 2021 - Reapplied for the new PGWP; & Submitted a new webform regarding reconsideration
November 3rd, 2021 - I was told that the refused application file is in process again.
November 4th, 2021 - It was approved!

(From October 15th to 30th, I almost call IRCC every workday for updating)
yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo congratulations homie