+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refusal - What to do next

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

i got same issue as yours. I got a refusal letter of my PGWPP today morning. And I am extremely worried now. It stated that I was part time during my studies so it was refused. I did attached an explanation letter but it seemed not be acceptable at all. I am planing to apply a reconsideration like yours. May I know where did you apply for the reconsideration? And which documents are important to attach when applying reconsideration? Thanks!
Why were you part-time as being full time is a requirement for PGWP.

Vonput

Star Member
Jun 9, 2018
ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
I applied for PGWP in early June after graduating on May 5th. I got refusal letter on September 12th. My Student Permit expires on November 30th. I forgot to indicate in my first application why I took 2 semesters off which were due to me having a car accident in which I broke my left arm and hence took Fall 2019 & Winter 2020 off. I’m have now written a detailed letter where the school documents showing that I was deferred to Summer 2020 are indicated and also the hospital documents showing my X-ray and surgery. Do you guys think that I need status restoration before reapplying even though my student permit expires November 30th. I just combined all my documents and reapplied today and paid the $340. Do I need to go pay for status restoration & if I do, please how can I do it?

lizyyy

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021
Hi

Just an update regarding my reconsideration application and situation:
1. My pgwp was initially refused on January 29, 2021, for not maintaining full-time status during my studies. I had two part-time semesters during regular academic sessions.
2. Applied for reconsideration on February 1, 2021, through ircc webform.
3. Application was approved on March 2, 2021, for 3 years PGWP.

This last 1 month after the initial refusal had been very stressful. After spending almost 8 years and over 100k on studies, I felt depressed and stupid for not opting for a shorter duration program. I feel if you are honest about your situation and sufficiently explain your situation to the officers, there are high chances your application will be approved eventually. Trust your hard work.
Congratulations! I am so glad that they issued you the PGWP finally. Can you share your experience and how you wrote your letter of explanation? I also studied part-time for one term and I am very worried about it.

Reactions: Anyw

lizyyy

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021
Hi,

i got same issue as yours. I got a refusal letter of my PGWPP today morning. And I am extremely worried now. It stated that I was part time during my studies so it was refused. I did attached an explanation letter but it seemed not be acceptable at all. I am planing to apply a reconsideration like yours. May I know where did you apply for the reconsideration? And which documents are important to attach when applying reconsideration? Thanks!
Hi, I am so sorry that you were rejected. Could you please share what you said in your letter of explanation?

Vonput

Star Member
Jun 9, 2018
ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hi, I am so sorry that you were rejected. Could you please share what you said in your letter of explanation?
Please can you examine my situation please?
I applied for PGWP in early June after graduating on May 5th. I got refusal letter on September 12th. My Student Permit expires on November 30th. I forgot to indicate in my first application why I took 2 semesters off which were due to me having a car accident in which I broke my left arm and hence took Fall 2019 & Winter 2020 off. I’m have now written a detailed letter where the school documents showing that I was deferred to Summer 2020 are indicated and also the hospital documents showing my X-ray and surgery. Do you guys think that I need status restoration before reapplying even though my student permit expires November 30th. I just combined all my documents and reapplied today and paid the $340. Do I need to go pay for status restoration & if I do, please how can I do it?

lizyyy

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021
Hi, in my opinion (not professional), you don't need to restore your status as you have applied for your PGWP, so I think you can work full-time from now until you hear back from the IRCC. I hope you get approved because your situation is totally understandable, and they should not refuse you.

hzhz2626

Sep 13, 2021
Why were you part-time as being full time is a requirement for PGWP.
Because my GPA was low at that time and got to probationary status, my school requested me to take no more than 12 credits. Also, my advisor suggested me to take less courses, I withdrew 2 courses at that time. And I didn’t even know that will affect my PGWP.

hzhz2626

Sep 13, 2021
Hi,

i just asked the international student services today at my school. Even my study permit expires on 2022 March, I have to apply restoration. She said it is because it is already 3 months after my graduation date. So my study permit actually only works 3 months within the graduation date. After that, I need to apply for restoration.she said, Even my study visa will expire on 2022,March, it does not mean I no need to apply for restoration. So you better do that.

hzhz2626

Sep 13, 2021
Hi,

i haven’t prepared it yet, but I will share what I wrote about when I got. (The first one was written by a consultant agency that I paid them to write for me, because I realized my case was not easy to apply, but they refused to let me see their explanation letter , they said it is copyright. But I asked my school, my advisor said I have right to take a look, so I am very upset about this agency, what they did.)

Vonput

Star Member
Jun 9, 2018
ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hi,

i just asked the international student services today at my school. Even my study permit expires on 2022 March, I have to apply restoration. She said it is because it is already 3 months after my graduation date. So my study permit actually only works 3 months within the graduation date. After that, I need to apply for restoration.she said, Even my study visa will expire on 2022,March, it does not mean I no need to apply for restoration. So you better do that.
Ok thanks for your reply. I already applied earlier today. After seeing your post I have gone and paid for restoration to of my student permit which is $350. Since I have already applied I decided to go through the IRCC webform to attach the receipt of this restoration fee, indicating my application number and UCI. I will also call IRCC tomorrow to tell them my case is urgent as I can’t work right now & have no implied status.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Because my GPA was low at that time and got to probationary status, my school requested me to take no more than 12 credits. Also, my advisor suggested me to take less courses, I withdrew 2 courses at that time. And I didn’t even know that will affect my PGWP.
So you were rightly refused. You had poor advice. You are not allowed to be part-time due to failing courses. You were on probation too. How many semesters were you part-time or failed? You always can ask for reconsideration. If reconsideration is refused, you can apply for another program and study permit. Make sure you are full-time.

Last edited:

Anyw

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
Hi

Just an update regarding my reconsideration application and situation:
1. My pgwp was initially refused on January 29, 2021, for not maintaining full-time status during my studies. I had two part-time semesters during regular academic sessions.
2. Applied for reconsideration on February 1, 2021, through ircc webform.
3. Application was approved on March 2, 2021, for 3 years PGWP.

This last 1 month after the initial refusal had been very stressful. After spending almost 8 years and over 100k on studies, I felt depressed and stupid for not opting for a shorter duration program. I feel if you are honest about your situation and sufficiently explain your situation to the officers, there are high chances your application will be approved eventually. Trust your hard work.
Congratulations for the approval of your 3-year PGWP after asking for reconsideration on the initial refusal. May I know the steps you took on how you processed your reconsideration? Thank you.

lizyyy

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021
Hi,

i haven’t prepared it yet, but I will share what I wrote about when I got. (The first one was written by a consultant agency that I paid them to write for me, because I realized my case was not easy to apply, but they refused to let me see their explanation letter , they said it is copyright. But I asked my school, my advisor said I have right to take a look, so I am very upset about this agency, what they did.)
Okay, thank you! I do think you have the right to read it because you paid them!

Hchav010

Oct 13, 2021
Hello guys,
Has anyone received any decision on reconsideration appeal submitted in the month of September?
Please specify the timelines.
Thank you!

Sagar Tandel

Oct 14, 2021
Hello guys,
Has anyone received any decision on reconsideration appeal submitted in the month of September?
Please specify the timelines.
Thank you!
So you were rightly refused. You had poor advice. You are not allowed to be part-time due to failing courses. You were on probation too. How many semesters were you part-time or failed? You always can ask for reconsideration. If reconsideration is refused, you can apply for another program and study permit. Make sure you are full-time.
Hey, I got my PGWP refused too and, I applied for reconsideration with the help of immigration firm. I just called Cic in the morning for the issue of my status. They said my reconsideration application through Ircc webform is cancelled for some reason. Initially my PGWP was rejected stating I was two semester part time. Those two semester were bcuz I failed the course and I failed one of the course again and completed it in 2 months study plan. Please share your knowledge and experience of whether my application can be reconsidered or best way through this situation.