+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP refusal Reconsideration

mxxlan

May 21, 2023
***PGWP SPECIAL CASE***
Initial PGWP application : August 30, 2022.
Review eligibility: January 9, 2023.
Refusal: January 9, 2023.
Applied for Reconsideration by webform: January 23, 2023.
Review eligibility: February 14, 2023.
Approved: February 14, 2023.

More Details:

Hello, I studied 3 Years Advanced Diploma. So, I was supposed to get 3 years of work permit. But, it got refused as I studied part-time in my Scheduled Break. So, I applied for reconsideration via webform and submitted the proof showing that the term I was part-time was my scheduled break. I got email mentioning that they have received to document on very next day of raising the webform. I got another email from officer on February 6, 2023 mentioning that My file have been sent to responsible office. On February 13, 2023 I got email that IRCC is waiting to hear from me (that means they want me to pay $100 that was refunded for open work permit and upload the receipt). I did that on very same day and my status got changed to submitted/processing from refusal. After 24 hours, I got email mentioning that we updated your application status. I logged in and found that the application was approved.

I hope you get in detail information about the case. I was so confused when I got refusal but I stood for myself. I asked couple of lawyers and they were suggesting me to reapply the PGWP along with the status of restoration with their own fees the total amount was $1750. But, I opted to go for reconsideration by myself.

I am not an immigration consultant but want to inform about the case as I wasn't having the information about this when I got refusal.

Thank you for reading this long message.
Hey, did you do anything to draw the officer's attention so quickly? My consultant sent the reconsideration the same day of refusal (May 19th) and still haven't heard back at all from them.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone, I just got a rejection letter today due to part time study, here was the reason given on the letter:

[X] Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if they have maintained full time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program or programs and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration at a: University, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school or private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees As you do not meet this requirement, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work permit in this category.

[X] R205(c)(ii) states: A student on leave who begins or resumes their studies within 150 days from the date the leave commenced (that is, the date the leave was granted by the institution) is considered to be actively pursuing studies during their leave. If a student does not resume their studies within 150 days, they should do either of the following: change their status (that is, change to visitor status or worker status) leave Canada If they do not change their status or leave Canada, they are considered non-compliant with their study permit conditions.

[X] You must leave Canada on or before the expiry of your current document or, if your document has expired you must leave Canada immediately. Failure to do so could result in enforcement action being taken against you.

I was wondering if I have other options like applying to another college for a study permit(and if granted) 8 month course would be a viable option or do i have to just leave?
What is your status now in Canada? If you want to remain, you need to change status to visitor. You can try and apply for another study permit but it is not guaranteed. You need to show funds, show career/education progression etc.

mxxlan

May 21, 2023
Hi there,

It's is a sign that they are looking at your application again, if they were not reconsidering it they would've told you your application wasn't going to be reconsidered and the decision will not change.

As for how long reconsideration takes, there is not a specific timeline since that is not an official process - It could be weeks, it could be months.

If I was you I'd re-apply addressing refusal reasons and if the reconsideration is approved I'd withdraw the new application.
hey,

My application was wrongfully refused and after submitting a reconsideration request, a few weeks later, it was changed from Refused to In Progress - the account also says they’re reviewing the additional documents. Do you think if they were not gonna reconsider they wouldn’t have changed the status? (Just need a personal opinion, I’m dying of anxiety)

UPDATE: Today (June 5, I received my approval after sending a reconsideration request on May 19)

Last edited:

DevSB

Mar 27, 2021
hey,

My application was wrongfully refused and after submitting a reconsideration request, a few weeks later, it was changed from Refused to In Progress - the account also says they’re reviewing the additional documents. Do you think if they were not gonna reconsider they wouldn’t have changed the status? (Just need a personal opinion, I’m dying of anxiety)
what do you mean by wrongfully refused? what were the reasons?

mxxlan

May 21, 2023
what do you mean by wrongfully refused? what were the reasons?
hey, my application was refused cause I didn’t submit an additional document requested (official transcript), when in fact, I did. I actually got my approval like two hours ago after sending a reconsideration request on May 19.

Reactions: DevSB

Baac

Jun 20, 2023
Hello everyone,

Can someone help me with maybe an average waiting time for an answer after requesting a reconsideration? I sent my request on May 25th and I got an email that is automatic saying "We acknowledge receipt of the documents and wish to inform you that they have been added to the file. Please note, for technical reasons, they may not be visible in your online account. Rest assured that your supporting documents are indeed added and available for officer review". But nothing has changed in my application. For those that had been approved after the reconsideration, is this the normal thing to happen? or for you guys, it changed almost quickly to another status than refused.

Thank you in advance for your help and the time for reading my question.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hello everyone,

Can someone help me with maybe an average waiting time for an answer after requesting a reconsideration? I sent my request on May 25th and I got an email that is automatic saying "We acknowledge receipt of the documents and wish to inform you that they have been added to the file. Please note, for technical reasons, they may not be visible in your online account. Rest assured that your supporting documents are indeed added and available for officer review". But nothing has changed in my application. For those that had been approved after the reconsideration, is this the normal thing to happen? or for you guys, it changed almost quickly to another status than refused.

These can take a few weeks usually. Give it a while

mxxlan

May 21, 2023
Hello everyone,

Hey - yeah this is pretty standard. My application (as stated in a previous comment) was approved exactly two weeks after sending the reconsideration request. It varies from officer to officer and their workload.

I got the email that the docs were attached two business days later after submitting it through the webform. I was calling IRCC almost every day out of desperation, and one of the agents was kind enough to send a note over to the officer to notice my reconsideration request (I didn't ask for it, that agent proactively cuz the reason of the refusal was indeed the officer's mistake and she empathized with me).

tejasmpatel24

Jan 5, 2023
Hey,

I applied for my PGWP and got refused in Nov 2022 because I was a part-time student in 1 of the semesters while I was studying.
I then applied for a Study Permit which got refused too (no specific reason was given)
I then applied for reconsideration of my PGWP and it's been 2 months since I submitted the webform and there has been no update whatsoever. How do I know if my reconsideration application is being processed? or if it is stuck? do I need to wait forever to get a response from them?

Baac

Jun 20, 2023
Hey,

I applied for my PGWP and got refused in Nov 2022 because I was a part-time student in 1 of the semesters while I was studying.
I then applied for a Study Permit which got refused too (no specific reason was given)
I then applied for reconsideration of my PGWP and it's been 2 months since I submitted the webform and there has been no update whatsoever. How do I know if my reconsideration application is being processed? or if it is stuck? do I need to wait forever to get a response from them?
Hello, what I did is call IRCC and ask if there is a way to know the status of reconsideration, I explained my situation and the officer sent my request to the officer to review, I haven't received any update about that but is something. I called this week, so I am just waiting for an update.

Megajen

Jul 18, 2023
hey, my application was refused cause I didn’t submit an additional document requested (official transcript), when in fact, I did. I actually got my approval like two hours ago after sending a reconsideration request on May 19.
What is the timeline for the process? My PGWP was refused for the same reason since April and I am yet to hear from them. Did they request that you make any payment for the open work permit and if they did how long did it take from the time of payment to approval?

Last edited:

Peter063

Nov 6, 2023
Hello, what I did is call IRCC and ask if there is a way to know the status of reconsideration, I explained my situation and the officer sent my request to the officer to review, I haven't received any update about that but is something. I called this week, so I am just waiting for an update.
Hello, did you recieve any response since then from IRCC? If yes, kindly share the timeline you got a response. Thanks in advance

Peter063

Nov 6, 2023
Hey - yeah this is pretty standard. My application (as stated in a previous comment) was approved exactly two weeks after sending the reconsideration request. It varies from officer to officer and their workload.

I got the email that the docs were attached two business days later after submitting it through the webform. I was calling IRCC almost every day out of desperation, and one of the agents was kind enough to send a note over to the officer to notice my reconsideration request (I didn't ask for it, that agent proactively cuz the reason of the refusal was indeed the officer's mistake and she empathized with me).
Hello, did you call the Visa office that attended to your visa at first or there’s a general contact of IRCC? I would love to know because I want to call them and ask about my reconsideration request.

Baac

Jun 20, 2023
Hello, did you receive any response since then from IRCC? If yes, kindly share the timeline you got a response. Thanks in advance
Hello, Yes my application was reviewed on August 10 and approved, approximately 3 months after I sent my reconsideration request. Also, I keep calling almost every 2 or 3 weeks, but I think the last officer who checked my reconsideration did another push, and I think that helped to finally get something from IRCC.

Peter063

Nov 6, 2023
Hello, Yes my application was reviewed on August 10 and approved, approximately 3 months after I sent my reconsideration request. Also, I keep calling almost every 2 or 3 weeks, but I think the last officer who checked my reconsideration did another push, and I think that helped to finally get something from IRCC.
Oh congratulations.. Hoping for the best too, my reconsideration is about my study application tho