+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP is about to expire, and I need some help!

Aiden6933

Jan 16, 2024
First, some background: I graduated with my bachelor's degree in February 2021 and immediately applied for my PGWP. However, I never received a response from the CIC since then. (may because of Covid) despite my efforts, nothing seemed to work, and I eventually had to leave Canada in February 2022.

Later, I discovered that in August 2022, which is one and a half years later, the immigration office approved my PGWP application. The PGWP is set to expire in April 2025, same with my passport's expiry date. In September 2023, I applied for my Canadian work visa from outside Canada and got it approved. (Since I didn't have the PGWP document, I applied using the approval letter)

I have three questions:

1. Due to the immigration office's delay, it took them one and a half years to process my PGWP application, which prevented me from working during that time and forced me to leave Canada. Can I appeal for an extension of my PGWP because of this delay?
  2. The duration from when my PGWP was approved (August 2022) to when it expires (April 2025) does not cover a full three years because of my passport expiry date. Is it possible to apply for an extension?
  3. I have heard that some people who apply and get their PGWP approved from outside Canada are given a three-year validity period for their PGWP starting from their **first entry into Canada**. Is this credible?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
First, some background: I graduated with my bachelor's degree in February 2021 and immediately applied for my PGWP. However, I never received a response from the CIC since then. (may because of Covid) despite my efforts, nothing seemed to work, and I eventually had to leave Canada in February 2022.

Later, I discovered that in August 2022, which is one and a half years later, the immigration office approved my PGWP application. The PGWP is set to expire in April 2025, same with my passport's expiry date. In September 2023, I applied for my Canadian work visa from outside Canada and got it approved. (Since I didn't have the PGWP document, I applied using the approval letter)

I have three questions:

1. Due to the immigration office's delay, it took them one and a half years to process my PGWP application, which prevented me from working during that time and forced me to leave Canada. Can I appeal for an extension of my PGWP because of this delay?
  2. The duration from when my PGWP was approved (August 2022) to when it expires (April 2025) does not cover a full three years because of my passport expiry date. Is it possible to apply for an extension?
  3. I have heard that some people who apply and get their PGWP approved from outside Canada are given a three-year validity period for their PGWP starting from their **first entry into Canada**. Is this credible?
1. No. You could have remained in Canada and worked under implied status while waiting for the results of the PGWP.
2. Yes, you can extend to get the full 3 years.
3. Not credible.